Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Backing up,tail swing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

busdrivernico

1 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  8:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit busdrivernico's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On my summer route,I have a stop where I have to back up my 38ft bus,and make a left turn back onto the access road. I hate backing up when there are obstacles,such as unattended parked cars and trucks close to my bus. Well,today after unloading two students,I pulled forward and began to make a left turn,as I was watching my bus through the right mirror ,I saw that a red service truck was inches from getting scraped by my tail swing....I stopped fast,and missed a near scrape...I actually thought I bumped the truck,it was that close...I put the bus in neutral and applied the parking brake,and checked to see if there was damage.My heart in my throat the whole time. I could not leave the bus,I had students that were still on,so I just peaked out the window,and I saw no damage on the right side of the bus..No scrapes...The service truck looked beat up already..Like if the driver had put the truck through wear and tear...No yellow paint was on the red truck...Nothing that would indicate to me that I bumped or scraped it...But still my mind obsessed over the,"what ifs", and the "How can I be sure", thoughts...I hopped back into the driver seat and became Mr Bus driver again. I did a few back ups and pulling forwards and I eventually was able to clear the left turn which was even harder because of the red service truck which was parked close to my bus. I try and be a good professional driver everyday when I am in the bus,but it is instances like this one that make me feel like I need to be better...I keep replaying this incident in my head...I feel like I could have maneuvered the bus differently so I could have avoided a near scrape....Are there similar stories like this? What can I do if I am face to face with another tight spot because of an inconsiderate driver?

imadriver2

19 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  10:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit imadriver2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the past when our drivers have come into situations when the feel they can't safely get around a vehicle. We have always called in to the boss, they have called the police who then come and find the owner and make them move the vehicle. Yes, that takes time. Of course If there is anyway to alter your route, that would be best. Maybe drop on a different corner, block, etc.
Go to Top of Page

kminaj2

United States
1 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2010 :  7:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit kminaj2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes it does sound like you should have manuvered the bus differently. By you backing several times and and moving forward you were putting yourself at risk to be involved in a accident. I agree with the imadriver2 that you could have called for assistance. Also remember when you are turning left and you notice your tail swing is to close if you can safely manuevering bus to turn the wheel in the opposite direction to bring it away from the vehicle or object could possibly correct the problem. Did you have to back as far as you did and also is safe for you to be backing down a narrow roadway everyday? Safety First.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000