Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 AT545 filter info question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wmnaz

3 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  4:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit wmnaz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Came across this site while searching for info on the net, saw some similar posts on here and it looks like you guys might be able to help me out. I've got a '98 F700 with a little over 17k miles on it now and I'm getting ready to make a cross country trip with it. I was wondering about the internal filter on the AT545 trans(ser# 3210872488). I've changed the external spin-on filter each time I've made a long trip on it, but never changed the internal one. Looking in the little 30 page Allison manual that came with the truck, it lists 2 different internal filters for the deep sump pan. It lists a paper one and a brass screen one. Is there any way besides dropping the pan to tell which type it would have? The booklet says to change the brass one at 50k with no time limit and the paper one at 25k or 12 months. Since it's 12 years old now I was concerned that if it had a paper one in it, would it be disintergrating or coming apart? I'd hate for something to come apart and clog things up while out on the road. The trans shifts fine and the fluid still looks like new, plus there are no leaks, so I've never wanted to just drop the pan to see which it has. Nobody around my area is familiar with these so any info, comments, suggestions on this are greatly appreciated.

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  11:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your filter is not going to come apart. If your worried just do the simple thing and have both filters ready to go when you drop the pan and return the incorrect one . The thing that kills at545's is heat. If your going up bigs hills under load an 545 will easily overwhelm the radiator cooler.
Go to Top of Page

wmnaz

3 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2010 :  09:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit wmnaz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. When you say both filters, do you mean that it will only use a specific one either the paper or metal one and they're not interchangeable? I hate to sound cheap, but I've been out of work for over a year now and don't really have extra funds to spend at this point unless it's absolutely needed. That's why I was trying to decide how critical changing that internal filter would be. I'm having to make the trip to the east coast because I found a job over there, things are so tight right now that if fuel prices go up much in the next 2-3 weeks I won't have enough cash to get all the way there. You are right about the hills,both up and down! Last time I drove it out west along I-10 there were some places in NM and AZ that were quite challenging, had to pull over from time to time and let things cool down. If I had ordered it from the factory I would have gotten a manual trans and something other than the 5.86 rear.
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  08:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been 12 years since new, I'd change the fluid and filter.

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

jperkins

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  3:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to your serial # your trans should have the brass filter in it there was a conversion kit to change over to a polyester filter which replaced the paper filter but that kit is no longer available you have to order detailed parts which are tube gromet and bracket and the filter kit #29538489 to have the polyester in your trans the part# for the brass filter kit is 29540976 if you can find the conversion kit still available the # is 29538490
Go to Top of Page

wmnaz

3 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  6:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit wmnaz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much for that info. I was hoping it had the brass one but didn't know how to tell without opening it up. None of the shops around here were familiar with it and they were telling me that if the truck only has 18k on it to leave the filter in the pan alone if the fluid still looks fresh and I had changed the spin on filter each time I made a cross country trip. But they aren't the one who is going to be out on the road with it!

Edited by - wmnaz on 06/15/2010 6:50:51 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000