School Bus Equipment
 Enter Forum: School Bus Equipment
 D-type RE VS FC ??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ethan

2 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  10:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ethan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Do you guys have any idea of which are the most popular between the RE and the FC D-type ? I think there's even some D-type buses with engine in the middle but not sure if they're still making them. Which ones run the most ? Any official figure on that ??

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  12:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It varies state to state; here it is mostly REs while in the eastern states it is mostly FEs. I am not sure on totals though.
Nobody currently makes a mid-engined bus. If I am correct, Crown was the last manufacturer to do this, and they went out in the late '80s. Gillig also did it back in the 70s and older.

Go to Top of Page

Ethan

2 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  12:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ethan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Lifestar Fe ! If anyone has totals, I'm still interested !
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2010 :  06:39:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Large capacity RE units win the popularity contest, hands down. The FE units are good, but hard to maintain with the hard to get at engine and A/C components. Also have heat issues, on some, from the front mounted engines. The FE units with teir shorter wheelbases are far mor manueverable than the RE, but the RE unis can be used on "arterial" routes where they need not go into a lot of tight streets, etc. Production form manufacturers would be about 30-40 RE units for every FE, maybe even higher....

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000