Three Bridgewater Students Suspended for Bullying
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  1:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Three Bridgewater students suspended for bullying on the bus
Updated: Tuesday, 20 Apr 2010, 2:44 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 20 Apr 2010, 2:44 PM EDT

Diana Rocco
Reporter
BRIDGEWATER - (FOX 25 / myfoxboston.com) - Three Bridgewater Middle School students have been suspended for bullying a 13-year-old boy with down syndrome while riding the school bus.

Brian Palmieri’s parents noticed a change in his behavior but were unsure why he was not acting himself.

It was not until a witness to the bullying contacted the Palmieri family and explained what was happening to their son that they decided to take action.

The following day, the family notified Bridgewater Police and the school to make them aware of what was happening.

Police say no charges will be filed, but disciplinary action has been taken.

The three boys were made to do a report on down syndrome and apologize to Brian. They were also banned from riding the bus for a week, received two days of out-of-school suspension, and received one day of in-school suspension.

Brian’s mom Kathy described the situation as “gut-wrenching” but was very pleased with how the school handled the matter.

Source: http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/three-bridgewater-students-suspended-for-bullying-on-the-bus-20100420

Former School Bus M8

143 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  5:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They briefly discussed this incident on a radio talk show I was listening to this evening. 2 days suspension and 1 week off the bus for bullying a student with down syndrome is not enough. I've had kids suspended off my bus and from school for a lot longer time period for a lot less. Give the kids a 5 day suspension from school and a 30 day minimum suspension from the bus. The traumatic experience that this poor child had to endure will most likely last more than the bullies 5 day bus suspension. Had this taken place in my district, administration would have been all over these students!

When I was a kid in junior high I remember an incident where a group of students were bullying a student with a disability. The students weren't disciplined appropriatley until the student with the disability tried to kill himself by jumping down a four story stairwell in the school. Luckily a teacher was there to stop him. Finally those students were punished and when the parents of other students got ear of this they expressed their concern. Some wanted to pull their kids out of the school. The only good thing that came from this is that they replaced the principal the following year with a principal who actually had a set. These were sixth graders.

School Bus M8

Edited by - Former School Bus M8 on 04/22/2010 5:28:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  6:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I particularly like the part about making the kids write a report on Down's Syndrome. It forces them to seriously think about what they did, and to understand the effects of their actions on a person with a disability. The school district I drive in has begun dealing with bus write-ups by having students in some situations write a short-answer essay about bus safety rules and what could happen to a misbehaving student. Punishments aren't effective unless the child can link the negative consequences to the infraction, and I don't think the length of the suspension would have as much of an effect on that understanding.
Go to Top of Page

Former School Bus M8

143 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  8:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too like the fact that they had to write a report on down syndrome. But I also think the punishment does not fit the crime. If this student was being bullied because of his race or religion I can guarentee you that the suspension would be much longer. A longer suspension from the bus and from school would send a message to the bullies, their parents and the other students that behavior like this will not be tolerated and is not acceptable. Lets face it, these kids aren't in elemenatary school, they know better.They shouldn't have to do a report to know that picking on a student like this is wrong. This child was at a disadvantage and these kids jumped right on that. It just disgusts me. I don't care make it 5 days In School Suspension or 5 days of Saturday In-School Suspension if they feel that the parents will not make the 5 days at home a punishment. But 2 day suspension and 1 week off the bus, come on I know drivers who've turned students in for throwing a snowball at the bus and got 1 week off the bus.

School Bus M8

Edited by - Former School Bus M8 on 04/22/2010 8:56:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  11:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
About half my writing time and studies concerning industry issues goes to the sleeping child issue. The hostile displays toward our fellows in the press demands our help to ease the attacks that can devastate a fellow driver or monitor. Myself respond to this issue sometimes with attempts to provide information that can help promote providing a second chance to restore themselves, and sometimes fire with fire, and sometimes by pleading for civility.

The next big chunk of my time goes to the issue of bullying on the school buses and workplace bullying. This issue is one that also must be intervened in by the efforts of both the well-behaved adults and well-behaved children. I've found that so often children tend to follow the lead of adults that demonstrate not to get involved in stopping bullying. When the bus driver does try to intervene the bullies may turn their attention to the bus driver as the new target. Children observe the lack of effective support to stop the bullies when they target adults and conclude worse would be the result were they to get involved.

As much as it would be liked, even is sometimes demanded, the reality remains that there is no single intervention technique that covers all situations and grade levels. Intervention requires diversifying with effective training and immediate support. I gave up on trying to convince resistant adults to help intervene and also on trying to fix kids, did some bullying interventions on my own until a new administration came along that helped address the issue. What worked so very well for me was to protect the bus environment from the hostile, by cultivating the well behaved to have the run of the bus. How to do that is provided in the Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns, Free School Bus Safety Resources thread, Post #14, "Fast Track: Stopping bullying on the school buses." Download Links are provided to the free slide presentation and class notes that looks at the issues and provides some remedies that can quickly reduce violence on the buses.

Resistant adults also feel more comfortable with the concept of protecting the bus environment than on tackling bullies with the typical punishment concepts. The materials are provided free to use for self-study, training, and for use in presentations to the school board. Bullying can end when the well-behaved decide they can take back charge of their environment from the bullies. Frustration and inaction can be replaced with fast tracking to a safer, calmer bus environment for children and a hostile-free workplace for bus drivers. (jk)

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library - Post Check, Stopping bullying on the school buses." Links to a free slide presentation and class notes that looks at the issues and provides some remedies that can quickly reduce violence on the buses. The materials are provided free to use for self study, training, and for use in presentations to the school board. Bullying can end when the well-behaved decide they can take back charge of their environment from the bullies. Child Left Behind, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire, Danger Zones and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more.

Edited by - JK on 07/20/2010 08:11:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  05:46:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I fully support what the school system did in this case as well.

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  07:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tend to agree with Former School Bus M8, although at least the issue is addressed and some actions taken. Not presented is what the ongoing monitoring of the bullies and the targets involve, but simply may not have been mentioned in the story.

Bullying is still not given the attention in too many schools that it must have to end the anomaly.

Speaker Tony Bartoli discusses his experience in school. He has Cerebral Palsy and was bullied continuously both verbally and physically until over 300 students and staff helped bring it to an end. He lived it and decided to help stop this malbehavior in our schools and workplaces. Here are a few videos that present some of his thoughts:

STAND!, Stop BULLYING | NEVER give up. | Website.

NEW FOR 2010 SCHOOL YEAR!
Stopping bullying on the school buses - Fast Track slide presentation to help stop bullying on the school buses. Includes class handouts. Free to use in self-study, for class training, and for presentation to the school board. Click Here for Link (See Post # 14)

Edited by - JK on 07/20/2010 10:57:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  09:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Middle school students in Boward County (Florida) are writing a book about bullying. They are working to get it done in time to be distributed throughout Broward County's elementary schools as part of the school district's anti-bullying program. It will also be available online. Click Here for full story

NEW FOR 2010 SCHOOL YEAR!
Stopping bullying on the school buses - Fast Track slide presentation to help stop bullying on the school buses. Includes class handouts. Free to use in self-study, for class training, and for presentation to the school board. Click Here for Link (See Post # 14)

Edited by - JK on 07/20/2010 09:20:17 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000