Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  07:50:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw a pic of this bus a few years back in Scale Auto Enthusiast magazine. I was surfing the web the other day and came across the same bus on a model forum. It is simply the most amazing model school bus I have ever seen. Look at all the rivets!!! I can't imagine the number of hours that went into this model. It must be a '61-'63 Superior International.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22989&st=0&p=209198&hl=" school%20bus" &fromsearch=1#entry209198

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  11:35:38 AM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That Ford truck is great as well. At first glance I thought it was real.

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  12:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Outstanding! Too bad they're not actually produced .

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  1:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  1:11:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where did you find those Jake?? Guess I didn't search enough. I like how he built the body separate from the chassis and built the body with the hood attached. Simply superior (pardon the pun) work on everything, but especially the ribbed siding, seats (look at those supports!), windows, and doors. Can't stop drooling.
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusCollector

5 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  2:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusCollector's Homepage  Send SchoolBusCollector a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is incredible. Would love to have one of those in my collection (I'm sure you would too Ted)

Nice to see that it's an Ohio bus. For those who don't know, South-Western City Schools is located in the south western portion of Columbus (Franklin Co.) and is the sixth largest district in Ohio.

Cool find guys!
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  5:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jaw on the floor. How does one even model all those curves and rivets and fluted side panels and......?

Well anyway I will be spending quite a bit of time on that board now that you introduced it to me Ted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  6:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder, was that an actual model or did he make it? From the pictures, the drivers area/ roof cap/ front end looked to be pre-assembled.. but still, outstanding! I think its modeled after a real Ohio bus that I think is still in service, too (if I recall correctly).
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  04:19:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps a dealer-supplied model from the 60's that came with a real bus purchase? There was part of a similar model on Ebay not too long ago.
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  07:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

Perhaps a dealer-supplied model from the 60's that came with a real bus purchase? There was part of a similar model on Ebay not too long ago.

From what I remember of the original article in Scale Auto Enthusiast a few years ago, this model is made of plastic and is 1:24 scale. The Superior dealer supplied model was made of metal, was the newer (1964) body style and was a larger scale. One certainly does wonder how the modeler did such an amazing job on the rear end among other things. Since the bus is lettered for a Columbus, Ohio area school perhaps the modeler had some kind of access to old Superior drawings.
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  12:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Repstock/School%20bus%20project/?start=20

That shows how he made it.
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  3:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simply beautiful! I love the attention to detail too!

SWCSD doesn't have any more superiors...but they may have at one point

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

Repstock

12 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  09:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Repstock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was poking around on this site, and I couldn't believe it when I saw my bus!!! Wow! Thanks for the kind words everyone! This was my toughest project to date. It also took the longest. When I got the major parts painted, I was so burned out, I set it aside for over a year before coming back to finish it.

As you may have guessed, I live in the South-Western district.

I want to build a fully detailed GMC fishbowl in COTA colors. I have all the reference material, but haven't as yet mustered the resolve.

Hey, SuperiorGMC1963, or anyone else, I can be reached at cmhjets@hotmail.com I may be a bit slow to respond, so please be patient.
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  1:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Repstock

I was poking around on this site, and I couldn't believe it when I saw my bus!!! Wow! Thanks for the kind words everyone! This was my toughest project to date. It also took the longest. When I got the major parts painted, I was so burned out, I set it aside for over a year before coming back to finish it.

As you may have guessed, I live in the South-Western district.

I want to build a fully detailed GMC fishbowl in COTA colors. I have all the reference material, but haven't as yet mustered the resolve.

Hey, SuperiorGMC1963, or anyone else, I can be reached at cmhjets@hotmail.com I may be a bit slow to respond, so please be patient.

Awesome, let me be the first to welcome you! That model is unbelievable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  6:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
WOW, cool find i d like something like that.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  7:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Repstock, I'd also like to welcome you to the forums. Like Jared I am in absolute awe of your model Superior bus, not to mention your other pieces of work. Superior buses were the first buses I rode to and from school back in the early 60's. Your model brings back some great memories. I'm glad I saw your model years ago in Scale Auto Enthusiast and I am glad I came across again a few months ago. Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea the number of hours you put into that model bus?
Go to Top of Page

MorrisV2

53 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  03:40:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit MorrisV2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ALL HAIL REPSTOCK

That bus is bloody AMAZING
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  03:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Repstock...will the COTA bus be in period colors (orange,) or current colors? Can't wait to see that!
Go to Top of Page

Repstock

12 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  06:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Repstock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Superior, I looked at your school bus album...WOW!! What scale are those busses in? I wish I had known about this board before I started my bus. As you probably realize, it's not completely accurate. I usually model trucks I find in 1:1 scale. This one I built from various sources, so some of the features may not have been possible on a real bus at the same time. I only model in 1/25, and build items no newer than 1977. I limit myself so I have enough focus to actually build things. My model interests are so varied, I would forever be a victim of the "grass is always greener" issue, and wander to new projects before current ones get finished.

I have no idea how long it took to build the bus. A few hundred hours, maybe?

The Cota bus will be in the '70's livery, if it ever gets built. I have gathered several picture manuals, and found a great looking COTA unit in Cincinnati, still in the older livery. I photographed it until my memory card was full.

I've got it all figured out except the windshield, which will have to be vacuformed, a skill I don't have.

Thank you all for your kind words and warm welcome. I forgot to give my real name, Tom Ellifritt.
Go to Top of Page

Repstock

12 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  09:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Repstock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sherm, you wouldn't happen to have pics of the '70's COTA scheme, would you? I can build the bus with my references, but I could use a little more information on painting it.
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  8:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My posterboard/monokote covered buses are actually an unknown scale. It's just a size I've been using since I was twelve years old (add 41 and that's my present age). My best guess is that it's 1/20 - 1/22 scale. I usually use tires from store bought truck toys although my current tires are no longer produced so I hunt for them on ebay. My buses take about 30 hours to build which is about the maximum patience I have in building a bus. I'd put in more detail but I know the hours would overwhelm me.
I have given some thought to building a 1/25 scale bus with more detail including a better hood/cowl. I presume Tom, that the Loadstar hood is from a resin International kit? I've seen a few resin hoods that could be used as a conventional school bus but they seem to be quite rare.

Ted

Edited by - SuperiorGMC1963 on 04/30/2010 8:46:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  8:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SchoolBusCollector

Wow, that is incredible. Would love to have one of those in my collection (I'm sure you would too Ted)

Nice to see that it's an Ohio bus. For those who don't know, South-Western City Schools is located in the south western portion of Columbus (Franklin Co.) and is the sixth largest district in Ohio.

Cool find guys!

DUH! Took awhile but I finally realized this is you, Jason. I bet you would love to have that ol' Superior in your collection/museum!! I hope bus 5, the small version, is holding up well.

Edited by - SuperiorGMC1963 on 04/30/2010 8:53:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Repstock

12 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  07:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Repstock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperiorGMC1963

My posterboard/monokote covered buses are actually an unknown scale. It's just a size I've been using since I was twelve years old (add 41 and that's my present age). My best guess is that it's 1/20 - 1/22 scale. I usually use tires from store bought truck toys although my current tires are no longer produced so I hunt for them on ebay. My buses take about 30 hours to build which is about the maximum patience I have in building a bus. I'd put in more detail but I know the hours would overwhelm me.
I have given some thought to building a 1/25 scale bus with more detail including a better hood/cowl. I presume Tom, that the Loadstar hood is from a resin International kit? I've seen a few resin hoods that could be used as a conventional school bus but they seem to be quite rare.

The Loadstar front end is a heavily modified 1/24 Monogram '55(?) Ford panel truck front end. I have another entire Loadstar cab almost finished, but the project has...stalled. Grass is always greener with new projects, if only I had more focus.
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  8:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SuperiorGMC1963

The Loadstar front end is a heavily modified 1/24 Monogram '55(?) Ford panel truck front end. I have another entire Loadstar cab almost finished, but the project has...stalled. Grass is always greener with new projects, if only I had more focus.

Seriously, you MODIFIED a '55 Ford front end?!?!? Your talents are just plain incredible! Amazing
Go to Top of Page

Repstock

12 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  08:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Repstock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How much interest would there be in a resin 1/25 '70s school bus model? I have met a caster whose pressure pot could hold a master the size of a bus. Also under consideration is the GMC "fishbowl" new look bus from the '70s
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  08:55:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

How much interest would there be in a resin 1/25 '70s school bus model? I have met a caster whose pressure pot could hold a master the size of a bus. Also under consideration is the GMC "fishbowl" new look bus from the '70s

Much interest. There is a lot of interest in school bus models on these and other school bus forums. However outside of these forums and our memberbase, it may be sporadic about who would be interested in buying. Also depends on the price.

Yellow & Black
Go to Top of Page

Repstock

12 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  10:01:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Repstock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been told, due to the size of the model, that the price would almost certainly edge into the over 100.00 realm. Since I'm trying to get a feel for this project, let me ask this: Would it be better to offer one body, a Superior, for example, and offer different seperate front ends, or would it be better to offer different bodys with a single front end type.

It is my feeling that offering a variety of front ends with a single body would be the cheaper way to go.
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  10:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've been told, due to the size of the model, that the price would almost certainly edge into the over 100.00 realm. Since I'm trying to get a feel for this project, let me ask this: Would it be better to offer one body, a Superior, for example, and offer different seperate front ends, or would it be better to offer different bodys with a single front end type.

It is my feeling that offering a variety of front ends with a single body would be the cheaper way to go.

That is very interesting. If it is anywhere close to the model you built and the detail, I'm sure it'd make it worth it. Honestly, I think different front ends (chassis) would probably be better option, but then again bodies would be cool as well. It just depends on the design they can get. Though I'd love to have a model of a Wayne from that era or a Ward/Superior Ford. It just varies. Asking here, people will say they want everything so you should probably go with your gut instinct and then look at what would be easiest and most economical to produce.

Edited by - Jake on 04/13/2011 10:08:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

bigredmachine

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  2:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think different bodies would be the best..makes for a greater variety and everyone would be able to purchase their favorite body manufacturer. About how big is 1/25 scale? I think nearly everyone here would love to have one, finding $100 is the issue...

Formerly BlueBirdMan
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  3:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigredmachine

I think different bodies would be the best..makes for a greater variety and everyone would be able to purchase their favorite body manufacturer. About how big is 1/25 scale? I think nearly everyone here would love to have one, finding $100 is the issue...

Yeah but given the quality of the product being produced (these aren't no Sunnyside Bluebird/Ward/Carpenter mashups ) and also being cast iron if I'm correct, that makes it so high. You also have to assemble these models as well, they don't come out of the box that way. I agree that its a pretty penny that would have to be paid but it would be awesome to finally see some variety in models!
Go to Top of Page

bigredmachine

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  4:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't saying the price wasn't fair, I'm just thinking that the price would deter possible customers. I would love to have a BlueBird version of that amazing model first posted.

Formerly BlueBirdMan
Go to Top of Page

Repstock

12 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  6:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Repstock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The bus featured in this thread is 1/25 scale, and it's about 15 inches long.

My interest lies in the mid to late 70's, so that's the era I'll build (if I don't, I'll never stay interested long enough to finish). I'll build whatever body I have the most reference material for.

After sticking my toe in the water, as it were, the first offering may be the GMC fishbowl as most people are willing to accept it even if it's not the exact model they want (TDH-5307, for instance). They would be happy to have any GMC as long as they can apply their favorite livery to it. It MUST be the 40 footer, though.

GMC bus pic:
http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?album=557&pos=0

I have a 70's Ford medium duty front end I could use (F-600 style) on the school bus. Since I've already done it, that much work is saved.

The models will be made of a resin material (see eBay-Toys-models-automotive, and input search "resin" to see what is possible with this medium).

Ebay models link:
http://toys.shop.ebay.com/Automotive-/2580/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Ford front end style mentioned above:
http://busexplorer.com/PHP/MidPage.php?id=1333

Edited by - Repstock on 04/13/2011 6:15:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2011 :  7:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm very excited to hear about this. Also glad to hear you have a Ford front end, seems like that and the Loadstar were the most popular from that era (well, in competition with GMC/Chevy and Dodge). 1970s is fine and really I think that is best, we have a lot of models of modern buses but none hardly of those from the past. As for body designs, I'm sure we could come up with whatever you might need, several members here have lots of literature and photos of buses from that era that would possibly be extremely helpful to you.

Photos of bodies from 70s:
-Superior (as already produced)
-Wayne: http://busexplorer.com/PHP/MidPage.php?id=1573
-Carpenter: http://busexplorer.com/PHP/MidPage.php?id=1333
-Thomas: http://busexplorer.com/PHP/MidPage.php?id=1571
-Blue Bird: http://busexplorer.com/PHP/MidPage.php?id=2424
-Ward: http://www.schoolbusenthusiast.com/AAAAAAsummer_2006/ward_gmc_buskid.html

I am still extremely interested to see where this goes. I just hope you don't burn yourself out with this, this can be a lot of work detailing and creating the models and templates for these as well. But please be sure to ask here and I'm sure we can find you or give you the information you might need in the process of designing these.
Go to Top of Page

Repstock

12 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  06:25:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Repstock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll lay out some of the challenges of designing the busses, and maybe some of you could suggest solutions.
1. The body must be one piece, with the front end seperate. This I think I can handle.
2. The interior must be in as few pieces as possible. They prefer seats to be molded with the floor pan. Obviously, detail will suffer, as I've never seen a school bus with the supporting seat structure encased, the framework is always visible. Seperate seats require a mold for each one, price goes up fast.
3. Chassis-same thing, they want one piece with all the running gear molded to the floor pan. Obviously underside detail will suffer, as will underside authenticity.
4. Wheels and tires. Should they be supplied with kit, or should the builder have to source them from 1/25 truck kits? Deleting them would be an attempt to keep costs down.

The good news:
1. Resin can be painted with any kind of paint, lacquer, enamel, or acrylic. The surface won't be damaged by any of them.

Not so good news:
1. Resin must be joined with super glue of epoxy. Model glue won't work.
2. A casting this size will have some minor imperfections (pinholes). The builder should have some modeling expeience, as you're going to have to make your own details (mirrors and such).

I'm going to let this thread sit for awhile, and give people a chance to discover it and comment. I'll be watching. It didn't take long to get the transit bus people going. I suspect the school bus market will be as large, or larger though. Who never rode a school bus?
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  08:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll lay out some of the challenges of designing the busses, and maybe some of you could suggest solutions.
1. The body must be one piece, with the front end seperate. This I think I can handle.
2. The interior must be in as few pieces as possible. They prefer seats to be molded with the floor pan. Obviously, detail will suffer, as I've never seen a school bus with the supporting seat structure encased, the framework is always visible. Seperate seats require a mold for each one, price goes up fast.
3. Chassis-same thing, they want one piece with all the running gear molded to the floor pan. Obviously underside detail will suffer, as will underside authenticity.
4. Wheels and tires. Should they be supplied with kit, or should the builder have to source them from 1/25 truck kits? Deleting them would be an attempt to keep costs down.

The good news:
1. Resin can be painted with any kind of paint, lacquer, enamel, or acrylic. The surface won't be damaged by any of them.

Not so good news:
1. Resin must be joined with super glue of epoxy. Model glue won't work.
2. A casting this size will have some minor imperfections (pinholes). The builder should have some modeling experience, as you're going to have to make your own details (mirrors and such).

I'm going to let this thread sit for awhile, and give people a chance to discover it and comment. I'll be watching. It didn't take long to get the transit bus people going. I suspect the school bus market will be as large, or larger though. Who never rode a school bus?

1 & 2, 3 are agreeable, i don't see any reason why it should be more complicated than that for this purpose. As for 4, it would be extremely helpful if the wheels were included. A lot of people (like myself) aren't familiar with building these models and we'd probably end up paying more or have difficulty finding the parts.

Go to Top of Page

Repstock

12 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  08:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Repstock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jake, I just might have to make you a partner on this.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000