How do air doors work?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bus1

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  12:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed when I rode a 2000 MVP with an air door, the driver pulled a lever above the windshield when we all had boarded the bus. What does it do? Is it on all buses with air doors? Where would it be on an IC CE?

Bill

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  12:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is the emergency air door release. All buses with air doors have it. On the IC CE, it is on the right end of the dash board mounted in a enclosed circle with a flip switch, not a valve.

---

America... the land of the free!

http://www.geocities.com/bluebird4eversbf

Go to Top of Page

bus1

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  12:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do drivers use it on a regular basis if it's just for emergencies?

Bill
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  12:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drivers use it to dump the air in there door. So they can manually close the door after them selves or be able to open it after it has been closed from the outside. I know on the 1993 Blue Bird Chevy I road when you flip that switch and the door is open it will close.

~BlueBird44~
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2002 :  1:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Specifically on the IC CE and all other IC products, the flip-switch that Richard mentioned has two settings: Manual and Automatic.

Flip the switch to Manual when you want to open the door "manually." You would normally do this after you shut the bus down and want to exit the bus and shut the door behind you.

When you get back on the bus, flip the switch to "automatic" either before or after you start the engine. This will enable the entrance door to be operated properly by the air door switch on the switch panel.

-Bob-

Go to Top of Page

Thomas guy

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2002 :  2:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Everyone,
Also I would like to add in the new Saf-T-Liner HDX's when you turn off the motor and open the doors, the system starts beeping at you to let you know that the battery will run down if you leave the switch in open position. So when drivers get out of the bus to cross kids the emergency lever is used unless the driver chooses to listen to the annoying beeps. Just thought I'd add that.
Thomas guy

Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2002 :  4:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blue Bird's air release is above the passenger door. Our driver always flips it when we are ready to leave the school.

Blue Bird--Flying into the future!
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2002 :  4:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hehehe... your driver "Flips the Bird."

---

America... the land of the free!

http://www.geocities.com/bluebird4eversbf

Go to Top of Page

Thomas guy

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2002 :  4:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there,
Our doors still slam shut if you let the pressure back in em when they are wide open.
Thomas guy

Go to Top of Page

Thomas guy

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2002 :  4:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2002 :  1:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I know the beeping alarm for the entrance door switch will start beeping after you shut the bus off and continue to beep if the switch is in the "open" position. I do have a couple questions I would like to ask:

1. Will the alarm continue to beep even after the key is removed from the ignition?

2. How long will the alarm continue to beep for after the bus is shut off? Will the amount of time the alarm beeps make a difference whether or not the key is left in the ignition?

Just curious. Any and all information is welcome! Thanks very much in advance.

-Bob-

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2002 :  2:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I can't be sure, but I'd think it would continue until the battery was dead much like it would on your car if you leave the headlights on... You don't want that switch to drain your battery.

Stop at: http://www.buses.cjb.net

This is an industry where people brag about their times for 60-0, not 0-60.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2002 :  4:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I can't be sure, but I'd think it would continue until the battery was dead much like it would on your car if you leave the headlights on... You don't want that switch to drain your battery.

That is exactly what I was thinking, Mike. That would make sense.

Thanks for the reply!

-Bob-

Go to Top of Page

Shelly96

1 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2018 :  4:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelly96's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a 2016 IC the air door is not staying closed when it is a little breezy outside. The kids windows would be down a little and a vacuume happens. The doors open when I am driving down the road while on the freeway. As soon as they open some of the items in the bus get sucked toward the front of the bus. Even when I have the kids close there windows it still happens. I continually push the button to close them while driving for miles. Any thoughts on how to fix this. I have been told on windy days it happens to all the IC busses with air doors. I have been told there is nothing that can be done.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2018 :  6:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used to turn the air pressure up to the door.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Brook Peacock

116 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2020 :  05:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brook Peacock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One curiosity answered. Thank you too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000