New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  09:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I plan on building some ramps for the All Americans and RV's. They won't be very high about a foot tall. Just enough to slide under on a creeper without busting me noggin on the axle. Has anyone made a set they could post pix of or describe how you built them.
Thanks in advance, Rob

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  2:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say that most people on here would tell you not to build your own but I like to save $$ more than most and I would build them. The set that I have was built by the Ag Shop boys before I started 16 years ago so I don't know how old they are. We live in oil country here in southern Illinois so oil tubing is easy to get and most times it is free. These ramps are made from 2" oil tubing (ID). The over all length is 6.5 feet and the height is 12 inches. The width to the outside of the pipe is 12 inces but because the pipe is round the flat steel on top is only 10 inches. I'll see if I can post a picture later.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  2:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

I plan on building some ramps for the All Americans and RV's. They won't be very high about a foot tall. Just enough to slide under on a creeper without busting me noggin on the axle. Has anyone made a set they could post pix of or describe how you built them.
Thanks in advance, Rob

I have a set of OTC heavy truck ramps part #5268, they are rated at 20 ton, are easily postioned with the built in lever and wheel action. I would suggest you BUY something like those. If you are bent on making your own check out a picture in an OTC tool catalog.

http://cache01.voyageurweb.com/otctools.com/products/2008heavy/(Pg.%204-7)%20Lifts%20and%20Jacks.pdf

http://cache01.voyageurweb.com/otctools.com/products/2008heavy/(Pg.%204-7)%20Lifts%20and%20Jacks.pdf

I guess you are going to have to type in what lies to the right of the back slash

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.

Edited by - origcharger on 09/04/2009 2:23:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  3:54:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Best to buy a set for OSHA certification.

If you make your own you need to have them tested and certified or OSHA will nail you.

Been there!

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 09/04/2009 3:57:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  1:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a nice set of ramps. I wish I could afford them.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  1:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

I would say that most people on here would tell you not to build your own but I like to save $$ more than most and I would build them. The set that I have was built by the Ag Shop boys before I started 16 years ago so I don't know how old they are. We live in oil country here in southern Illinois so oil tubing is easy to get and most times it is free. These ramps are made from 2" oil tubing (ID). The over all length is 6.5 feet and the height is 12 inches. The width to the outside of the pipe is 12 inces but because the pipe is round the flat steel on top is only 10 inches. I'll see if I can post a picture later.

Pix would be nice!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  2:24:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got em on the camera just a few minutes ago. I'll try to load them tonight.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  3:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK here goes. I've only done this a few times.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  06:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I get the idea now, those are strong looking. I have some pipe like that left over from demo derbies.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

L.J.D

United States
173 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  11:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they look solid. I bet they are very heavy. I made a nice set out of aluminum, just as strong but much lighter.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  11:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha, heavy? That's not even the word!! Anything as masive as these have to hold up!! I move them with a two wheeled cart.

By the way Wolf, these things will not work on concrete. You'll have to use some strips from a mud flap or something like that on the bottom to keep them from sliding.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  2:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya we were just thinking about that. I am going to put some pins on the end and drill a couple holes where they can sit in. GMCV front bumpers for the top, I just happen to have 2x wrecked ones I saved.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000