New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  2:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys I've got some problems with a 360. The top hose blew off the turbo in route. The driver didnt know what happened and being on the highway didnt want to stop with a load of kids. He drove about 30 miles back to school and said the bus ran fine. I checked it out the next morning and found the hose and fixed it. BUT, when I cranked it up its got a terrible miss and is huffing back trought the breather. What do you reckon happened? Could the valves have overheated and warped or do you think a head gasket blew? I sure hate to have this happen right now with money so tight and its too good of a bus to junk.

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2009 :  5:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blown piston or head gasket.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  7:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would the turbo hose coming off cause this kind of problem?

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2009 :  8:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"BUT, when I cranked it up its got a terrible miss and is huffing back trought the breather."

Huffing back through the crankcase breather or the engine air intake breather?

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  04:02:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having no turbo shouldn't have damaged the engine. It would just be very low on power. The aneroid assembly would have kept the bus from overfueling and causing engine damage. This sounds like coincidence or some other problem that has caused both. Perhaps a piece of something was blocking the intake (after the turbo) and caused the hose to blow off. Maybe it lodged in front of a valve (or in it) and this is causing the missing cylinder. Seems unlikely though as the air filter would prevent any foreign objects from geting in there and the turbo would have shredded it anyways.
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  2:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I had the hose blow off the turbo on one of my 360's and drove it about 1.5 hours on the highway with the hose disconnected. It had very little power going up hills but did no damage to the engine, and was a quick fix the next day with a hose clamp. I'd say the problem you're having now is probably a coincidence and not a result of the hose blowing off the turbo.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  5:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, after thinking about this...Perhaps while the hose was blown off, the engine sucked in a small object of some sort. The engine would have been getting unfiltered air from outside. One drive is not going to "dust" the engine, but if something larger got in and did damage to valves or pistons/rings, then perhaps that would explain things.

Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2009 :  8:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering if the hose clamp got sucked in? I just thought it kinda funny the bus came home with no problem according to the driverf and then I crank it up and find it in shambles. To answer your question on the huffing, it is back through the air intake. The hose came off right on top of the turbo and the broken clamp is no where to be found. I didnt know if that hose being off if the engine would be robbed of air and overheat the valves. I appreciate everyones response.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2009 :  04:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hardybusman

I'm wondering if the hose clamp got sucked in? I just thought it kinda funny the bus came home with no problem according to the driverf and then I crank it up and find it in shambles. To answer your question on the huffing, it is back through the air intake. The hose came off right on top of the turbo and the broken clamp is no where to be found. I didnt know if that hose being off if the engine would be robbed of air and overheat the valves. I appreciate everyones response.

"Huffing" back through the air intake could be caused by valve, camshaft, rocker arm, pushrod issues. I would remove rocker cover and check the valve lash, also watch for any rockers not moving when cranking the motor over. Valve lash adjustment is called for every 90k to 120k miles on the DT360.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.

Edited by - origcharger on 07/28/2009 04:58:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2009 :  12:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bought the bus with a little over 220k and now its at 343k miles. Never had a problem so I guess it doesnt owe me anything. I'll update you on what I find after I get it in the shop. Thanks Again!

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000