New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  2:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a T444E in a 1995 model bus. At cold crank it smokes and misses but nothing too major. Run the route and park it at the shop for the day and when you start it for the afternoon run it smokes terrible blue and gray smoke, knocks and will hardly run until you get out on the road then it will clear up. This winter we had to start it 30 min. before we pulled it in line and moved it to the last spot so it would'nt fill the next bus with smoke. No codes so do you think injector o-rings? Hoe do you test these injectors?

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  6:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hardybusman

I got a T444E in a 1995 model bus. At cold crank it smokes and misses but nothing too major. Run the route and park it at the shop for the day and when you start it for the afternoon run it smokes terrible blue and gray smoke, knocks and will hardly run until you get out on the road then it will clear up. This winter we had to start it 30 min. before we pulled it in line and moved it to the last spot so it would'nt fill the next bus with smoke. No codes so do you think injector o-rings? Hoe do you test these injectors?

Have you checked the glow plugs? One of their prime purposes is to warm up the combustion chambers to help clear start up smoke.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

Schoolbus56

United States
128 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  7:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a bus I had... Never looked into it just got rid of the hunk of junk. Theres a few ways to test the injectors. The proper way to test them is to put the bus on the computer. But also you can start the bus and use an infared thermometer and check the temperature at each cylinder see if any are cooler... usually that particular one isnt firing as well as the others will be cooler.

wow.
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  8:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
without a doubt you have some bad injectors. You can even put your hand on the manifold on startup and feel which cylinders are firing as the ones that are not will still be cool.

I think injectors run around $200 a piece. I'd replace the wiring harness also.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  02:48:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure you are getting glow by testing the output at the glow plug relay. Then, when you are sure you're getting glow, your problem could be o-rings or injectors, but from our experience, if you have over 100,000 miles on the bus, put the whole set in. Replacing injectors on the T444E breathes new life into them and from our experience, they will then go another 100+ thousand. If the unit is low mileage, you MIGHT want to consider figuring out which cylinder and trying the o-rings.
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  7:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This bus is pushing 180,000 on the speedo. The glow plugs are fine, it just seems like when it sits for a couple of hour fuel might be leaking into and loading up the cylinders. At least thats my theory but I wanted some second opinions before I go into it. I ve got a friend with a Prolink coming and we are going to try some injector tests. Thanks for all your input!!!!!! I appreciate it greatly.0

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000