New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  8:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1990 Ford school bus with air brakes. The bus was pulling slightly left to start. I found the left front brake was adjusted with very little slack. The right one had over an inch of slack. I got them both at about 1/2" Now the darn thing pulls right. I backed of the right brake 1/4 turn and it still pulls to the right. The bus tracks perfectly straight when driving, only pulls when I apply brakes. It's not a serious pull, but it's enough to be noticable.

I have checked that all tires have the same pressure. I checked the rear brakes and put them at the same adjustment while I was doing this. From the outside, I see no signs of grease inside the drums, but I spose I need to pull the front wheels and check. The brakes make no noise and all 4 wheels still have plenty of lining left on them. If I decide to take the wheels off, I'll make sure the spindle nuts are not loose and the wheel bearings look ok.

Other than tire pressure, grease on the drums/pads, bearing condition, spindle nuts and slack adjustment, what else could cause the bus to pull to the right when the brakes are applied?

My bus also has the stupid Daytons (or whatever brand). Anybody have a good method for getting the wheels on true so you don't have the side-to-side shake at high speed? I have a little of this right now and I'd like to get rid of it. The only method I had was to spin the wheel with a hammer sitting on the ground and look for wobble one way or the other against the hammer handle. Then I'd try to make adjustments to straighten it out. It seems I can never get it just right. Too bad I don't have the Budds. Whoever invented those removable rim wheels should be shot in the balls repeatedly (along with the the guy who came up with split rims)!

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  05:17:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure you don't have any loose front end components, if you do, brake application can cause a "toe out" situation resulting in a pull or wander.
If you have cast spoke wheels just be glad you don't also have hydraulic disc brakes. At least with the air brakes you can slid entire wheel, tire, hub, drum assembly off at once without disturbing the rim clamps.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.

Edited by - origcharger on 07/06/2009 05:18:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  12:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to sit a can of spray paint, or brake cleaner or whatever was handy on the ground next to the tire and constantly stop and spin the thing watching how much the distance between the two varied to get an idea of what needed to be rearranged to get them as close to true as possible.

High-tech eh? Hahaha...when you shoot that guy, make sure you get the Lucas Girling guy too!
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  4:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucas Girling should be shot with sh@@ and killed for stinking!!!!!!!!!! I use my impact or a paint can is a good idea. Just tighten where it touches can and loosen the opposite side, keep spinning and repeat process till you get it straight then hammer them down tight. Its time consumimg. I dont about all manufacturers but a GM is easy to convert to budds. I changed out one I had. Just find a junker with the same axle weight and swap out the hub. Super easy with disc brakes. Same spindles.

Mr. Courtney Hardy

Edited by - hardybusman on 07/06/2009 4:33:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

L.J.D

United States
173 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  11:44:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where doi get in line to take my shot at Mr. lucas!!
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  7:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does the bus pull or the steering wheel? if the wheel quickly turns in your hand its usually fronts. if you must slowly lean in the wheel to pull the bus staright that is usually rears. look at the side that is not pulling to see its working at all.

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2009 :  7:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wheel turns in my hand, but only slightly. Additional braking effort does not intensify the pulling. There is a slight pull at the onset of braking and it is maintained regardless of how hard you push the brakes. You'd think it would intensify the harder you hit the brakes. What I thought about doing was getting up to speed and getting on the brakes hard. Then stopping and using one of those laser things to check the temperature at each wheel. Then I could make sure all brakes were working somewhat evenly (or at all). I haven't had much time to work on this problem yet.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000