New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2009 :  5:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On one of our 1993 GMC's, I am having a problem with the power steering system. When sitting still, there is no power steering, when moving, or revving the engine the power steering increases, and when moving down the road, all is good.

The pump appears to be pumping, and there is no air in the system.

Are there any switches on this system that could be causing low pressure?

Any trouble shooting advice? I flushed the system a few months ago with no success.

Im figuring the hydroboost is shot.

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  09:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the diagnostics

http://freepdfhost.com/projects_new/112/3085/gm_powersteering_test.pdf

http://freepdfhost.com/projects_new/112/3084/hard_steering.pdf

Hope these help!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  1:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The system in the links you sent is different from the one I have. However, where would the flow control valve be located?

thanks so much for your help!!!

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2009 :  2:51:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baptistbusman

The system in the links you sent is different from the one I have. However, where would the flow control valve be located?

thanks so much for your help!!!

Yes I can only get back to 99 online. My 93 books are packed up for the move somewhere. The control valve is in the back of the pump, the high pressure line hooks to it. I usually swapped one from another bus to test it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  11:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just junked 3 pumps last week that just needed $200 rebuild kits. The stators wear out and the vanes can't build pressure.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  4:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A hydroboost failure shouldn't affect your steering system unless you have some huge leaks.

Assuming the belt isn't slipping, a simple pressure/ flow test will give you the answer.

I made a 3000 psi pressure/flow tester years ago out of a flow meter, pressure gauge, adjustable flow restrictor, a 3000psi relief valve and a little plumbing. I think it cost me $200 thirtysome years ago.

3/4" pipe fittings on either end I can test up to 30GPM pumps. All that is needed are whatever adapters required to tap into the main feed out of the pump. This is a small investment that has saved me many hours of shot-in-the-dark time and expenses.

If you're gonna be a professional, you need one of these.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 07/03/2009 7:17:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  07:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

A hydroboost failure shouldn't affect your steering system unless you have some huge leaks.

Assuming the belt isn't slipping, a simple pressure/ flow test will give you the answer.

I made a 3000 psi pressure/flow meter years ago out of a flow meter, pressure gauge, flow restrictor, a 3000psi relief valve and a little plumbing. I think it cost me $200 thirtysome years ago.

3/4" pipe fittings on either end I can test up to 30GPM pumps. All that is needed are whatever adapters required to tap into the main feed out of the pump. This is a small investment that has saved me many hours of shot-in-the-dark time and expenses.

If you're gonna be a professional, you need one of these.

Right you are IBT! We use a kent moore on the GMCV, I need to get me some adapters for the visions and the other stuff.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000