Donut Gasket Replacement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  03:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,
Well I am starting to do some mechanical fixes on my 1987 Chevy Wayne starting with a bad drivers side donut gasket/exhaust ring. The 366 gasser runs great for about 30 minutes but then starts "misfiring" ( a strange ticking sounds comes from the back ). The prior owner is who told me that it has a bad donut gasket/exhaust ring. So I got one from mandrelbending which is part "C" below: Any suggestions on how to replace one of these? It seems pretty self explanatory I guess (?)

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  05:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty self explanatory. Drop the exhuast pipe from the manifold and the donut goes in between the two. The biggest issue, in my view, will be removing the nuts without breakage. Use plenty of WD-40 or liquid wrench type lube on the nuts and studs before trying to break it loose. Will be easier on a cold engine.
Good luck!

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  07:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wagonmaster

Pretty self explanatory. Drop the exhuast pipe from the manifold and the donut goes in between the two. The biggest issue, in my view, will be removing the nuts without breakage. Use plenty of WD-40 or liquid wrench type lube on the nuts and studs before trying to break it loose. Will be easier on a cold engine.
Good luck!

Thanks!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  8:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be very careful when you take the nuts off the studs. I would never put a ratchet on one, more than likely the studs will break off. A 3/8 impact will do much better for you. I can guarantee, however, that the nuts are seized and they studs will come out of the manifold. Be patients, and soak it down with wd40 for a few days before you try to remove anything.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

Aint Skeered Racing

United States
68 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  09:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aint Skeered Racing's Homepage  Send Aint Skeered Racing an AOL message  Send Aint Skeered Racing a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Or just break those bolts off and replace it.... its better than putting those rusty bolts back on that's what I did for my bus ever since I fixed the donut problem no more backfiring after lifting off the gas pedal if your still backfires check sparkplug wires sometime it gets burned or cracked and will start backfiring when 1 wire is no good I would check all spark plugs and spark plug wires because if its the orginial spark plugs wires from 1987 it probably needs to be replaced

Jimmy Volk #76
Aint Skeered Racing
School bus racing asphalt Figure 8s and oval dirt racing

Owner of 26 racing buses
14 buses destroyed
12 buses running
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  4:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aint Skeered Racing

Or just break those bolts off and replace it.... its better than putting those rusty bolts back on that's what I did for my bus ever since I fixed the donut problem no more backfiring after lifting off the gas pedal if your still backfires check sparkplug wires sometime it gets burned or cracked and will start backfiring when 1 wire is no good I would check all spark plugs and spark plug wires because if its the orginial spark plugs wires from 1987 it probably needs to be replaced

I replaced the donut gasket with no problems!! I also replaced the spark plug wires (some of which were in horrible shape) and spark plugs with platinum ones. I took it for a 30 minute drive and I (knock on wood) think the problem is gone!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  12:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jared I checked out your 2009 vision concept, wicked!!!!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000