Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Tank Size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CRR

United States
45 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  12:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit CRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CAn anyone tell me the size of my fuel tank? I have a 1991 77 pass. Blue Bird Conventional bus with an International Chasis and a DT360 motor. The fuel guage reads E and we fill it with never more than 35 gallons of fuel. The sticker on the outside by the inlet says it has a 65 gallon tank. Us being NON-diesel people and not bus drivers, we do not want to run out of fuel, but to have to refuel and only add 35 gallons, is getting a little much. Anyone have any suggestions at all? We bought the bus from a dealer in St. Louis and they could not give me any information.
Thanks

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  12:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you get the VIN#? My guess is that it probably is 65 gallons or more. Sounds like you need a sender or a gauge. There are ways to troubleshoot that by removing the sender wire ect...You're correct to not want to run out of fuel, but I'm sure you're tired of filling every 250 miles!
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  4:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CRR

CAn anyone tell me the size of my fuel tank? I have a 1991 77 pass.... The fuel guage reads E and we fill it with never more than 35 gallons of fuel. The sticker on the outside by the inlet says it has a 65 gallon tank.....We bought the bus from a dealer in St. Louis and they could not give me any information.
Thanks

If it was an IC or International dealer the sales staff was just LAZY.

With the chassi number (last 8 of the VIN) one of us can pull up the specs but I'm betting that the sender is bad inside the tank.

A 77 PASS bus would have a 278" wheel base and from memory, most states REQUIRE a minimum tank size of one gallon per passenger up to a max of 65.

Then there is the notation that indicates a 65 gallon capacity on the vehicle itself, so I am sure that is what you have.

You would be completely safe driving say 300 miles between refills (50g x 6 mpg = 300 miles) and most likely a lot more but that's unsafe if you can't trust the gauge.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  4:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree. A 65 gallon tank has been pretty standard for many years and the VIN should confirm that.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000