New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  6:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We left our 2007 C2 at the dealer for recalls and updates and got it back last week. The most noticeable differance is in the operation of the air door. It used to be that after you parked the bus and the electricals "went to sleep" the door would close on its own, then if you lifted the emergency door handle the backup lights would come on and the air door would open.
Now, key on or off it makes no differance, the air door will go and stay in whatever position the door switch is in. If you want to leave the bus now you have to flip the emergency release switch above the door and push the door closed.
Anyone know what they did, why they did it and do the new ones work this way?

acap03

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  7:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have techs come from Highpoint to show our mechanics the recall work and updates that need to be performed. They updated our buses in May of last year..and one of them had to do with the door.

Now, they do not go into the "sleep" mode that they once did..but if you listen you can still hear the door "click" after about 90 seconds, same as they would before..except now they dont close. One of the other noticeable things is the loud "psst" of air that expels when you open the service door in normal operation. The only thing I can gather from it, is that there where some issues with "sleep" function..and I believe they did away with them and solved it in the 08 C2's and had to update the pre 08 C2's.

Now I drove an 09 C2 at my summer job..and it has the new split pane door..and the loud "psst" of air being expelled was when you closed the door, unlike in the county. So I have heard a few different reasons..but nothing solid as of yet..I too would like to know exactly why these things have changed.
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  7:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, ours also now has the loud "PSSST" when the door is closed.

I often wondered what would give/break if after the door went to "sleep" someone would decide to lock the entrance door with the vandal lock and then lifted the emergency door handle and woke it up.
Maybe I should be thankful I never found out.

My biggest gripe with our C2 is the bonded in stop/tail/backup lamp assembly, they get full of moisture and the reflective material degrades, I wish they would have replaced those with the new style.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

acap03

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  7:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Luckily, we dont have the problems with the bonded lamp assembly. When I drove in PA, we had them..and they were a nightmare. We have the new style assemblies, and our buses in NC are full LED..so obviously that is not a problem.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  9:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas will replace the bonded lights with the new lights if you beg your dealer, or so I'm told. There was a bulletin issued about that a while back. Same goes with the first gen drivers window, they will replace those too if you beg with the newer style with no bottom window.

They really have improved the bus. The latest ones on the road are really nice looking, and the people running them seem to be happy.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000