New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  04:52:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2001 466 that won't start. The first morning it started then stalled, the driver called the morning mechanic out and the engine started and ran the rest of the day fine. The next day it started then stalled and would not re-start.

Pushed it into the shop, code 313. Checked the oil pressure manually,it is at zero. Pulled the oil temp sensor and no oil runs out of the front cover reservoir. Pulled the oil pan and the pick-up tube is ok, no cracks.

Can an oil pump fail as described, or am I missing something? This bus only has 55000 miles.

Thanks

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2008 :  12:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oil pump failure is very rare, but it could be that the pressure regulator is stuck open venting all the pressure and oil volume back into the pan.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  04:54:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put the oil tube and pan back on, primed the oil pump at the filter housing and the engine started. I guess it's time to pull the pump and check it and the front cover.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  04:37:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bus has been towed to the dealer. The front oil seal had been replaced twice under warranty, three of the six bolts holding the oil pump on were stripped and loose. They are repairing the bus, no charge.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  05:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That *would* do it.

Tell them also to make SURE they install the updated crankshaft bolt kit (three NEW 12pt bolts + thicker washer) during reassembly!

Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  2:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will do that. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  4:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ModMech,
The service advisor was not aware of the bolt kit, is there a service bulletin I could reference? Also it it a TSI or AFC?

Thanks!

Edited by - second.flood on 10/14/2008 4:26:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  04:25:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ModMech, I found it.
Thanks for your expertise. My dealership had no knowledge of this TSI.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  1:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by second.flood
My dealership had no knowledge of this TSI.

Oh god!

Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  5:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know, the guys there are a relatively new crew and try hard. I think the training will come.

quote:
Originally posted by ModMech

quote:
Originally posted by second.flood
My dealership had no knowledge of this TSI.

Oh god!

Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  6:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man if you are a dealership, even a mostly International/IC fleet you NEED to be keeping up on the TSI letters every week!

It's good to hear you have faith and that they are making what you feel are honest efforts.

Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2008 :  7:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised that TSI's aren't somehow tied to parts sales... say I order an oil pump or front seal kit for a 466, and the TSI recommendation for the crank bolt kit would be flagged at the point of sale. More parts sold, better customer service and better product on the road.

Modmech, when I started working on this bus and ran a check through ISIS (specific to the DT466), this TSI didn't show. I had to run the complete list to find it.

I wish our nearest dealer was better, but we try to work with them. Just glad they are only 20 minutes away.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000