CE rotor problems....please read!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  05:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In April of 2008 I installed a new performance friction rotor on an 07 CE while replacing a leaking wheel seal. Two weeks ago (5000 miles after replacing the rotor), the service brakes locked up while the driver was approaching a stop sign. According to the driver he was going about 10 mph when it happened. To make a very long story short, Meritor's explination was that the left wheel speed sensor wasn't picking up a signal but the right side was. This activated the traction control system which applied brake pressure to the right wheel in order to transfer torque to opposite side. I'm not going to get into the warranty/recall debate, but everyone who owns a CE should be aware of this possibility. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Edited by - Dvorak on 09/17/2008 05:59:45 AM

wistech

United States
48 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  10:18:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit wistech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How did you "unlock" the wheel? I know of 2 that had a wheel lock up when ABS was functioning. These were on a 2001 IC and we needed to replace the ABS computer assembly. A solenoid stuck and wouldn't release pressure to 1 caliper. No problems here with 20 CE's--yet.
Go to Top of Page

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  3:18:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I shouldn't use the words "locked up." After the brakes applied unexpectedly, the driver called in saying his brakes wouldn't release. The first thing we did was transfer the kids onto another bus to get them to school. Our next priority was getting the bus out of the intersection, so I cut the short brake cable thinking it was a similar problem to what we've dealt with many times before. Each time the driver started pulling away, the brakes applied again. At this time, the left wheel speed sensor still wasn't getting a reading, so it kept applying brake pressure to the right side each time we tried to move. We eventually limped it 500 feet ahead to get it out of traffic and off the road.

"It's cranking, but it won't turn over..."
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird62
Top Member

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  8:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup... been there done that! Have a 2006 that I've been fighting with Lemon Law on because I've not only had rotor problems, I've had problems with the module as well causing the parking brake to apply unexpectedly. I'm still waiting for them to tell me that this is their new "Anti-Driver Fatigue Mechanism!"
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  12:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What you describe is not only possible, but a known operating condition of ANY Traction Control system. It's not a defect, it is how the system works.

The parking brake issue is mostly related to de-icing agents used on the roadways that were NOT USED at the time of development. These agents cause RAPID degradation of electrical connections, brake tone rings, tubing and any other parts that are exposed to them.

If the vehicle has had all the recalls and AFCs done, the most likely cause is the solenoid. But diagnostics from afar is frought with peril.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  8:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ModMech, I agree with part of what you say. On ice or snow, when the traction control module picks up a wheel speed signal from one side and not the other, it should apply brake pressure to the side that's spinning. I've been around long enough to know how that system is supposed to work. However, it should never do that at low speed on a sunny day in early fall due to a corroded rotor in the middle of traffic.

You also mentioned the park brake issue. I'm pretty sure salt and sand were used as de-icing agents long before the SAHR and Full Power Brake systems were invented. I also think it's amazing how the brand new de-icing agents haven't affected the brake systems on our older busses.

"It's cranking, but it won't turn over..."
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  07:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Salt has been used for over 50 years, MagChloride and MagSulfate HAVE NOT, and these chamicals are like 100 times WORSE than anything ever used before.

DOT trucks went from mild steel boxes to SS boxes, why? The SS boxes are the only "metal" that will hold up for 10 years now. Hmm, they USED to get 20-25 years from a mild steel box! They tried SS tanks for the mag-chloride/sulfate, but they RUSTED OUT in one season, even when rinsed between uses.

No disrespect, but how is the ABS/ATC system supposed to know if it's sunny or not, or if you are in mud or snow? It can't.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000