New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  10:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody having issues with intrusion of dirt and water on these things? At 227,000 miles It's getting in along the lower edge of the unit with moisture showing over the headlight, turn signal and maker portions.

If so...any luck with getting it fixed? This unit is out of warranty of course.

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  12:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a TSI letter on this.

With age, the sealed nature of the headlamps goes away. This happens with actual bulbs too, but then the lamp burns out and you install a new one :(

Basically moisture gets trapped in the housing, so you drill a small hole, allow the moisture to evaporate, then install a "Gore-Tex patch" over the hole. From what I have seen, it works VERY well.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  04:43:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, but on closer examination, I also see that I have dirt in there was well! Any idea how much I can expect to pay for new headlight assemblies?
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  10:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey ModMech--any chance you could get me a copy of the TSI for this? (I don't have access to ISIS) My fleet manager is feeding me his usual "you are the only one having this problem, it MUST be abuse" nonsense and I want to shut him up and get this taken care of.

s_series_ihc@yahoo.com

Hope you or somebody here can help!
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  11:27:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TSI: 070804 - Headlamp moisture and dirt infiltration.

Moisture collection inside a composite headlight is normal and can be dissipated by operating the lights for approximately 15 minutes. However, in certain environmental conditions, the composite headlights can collect an excessive amount of moisture inside the lens which cannot be dissipated by regular use. To prevent this, install Gore-Tex® patches at the three venting locations by following these instructions.

Parts: 2593399C91

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  2:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ModMech

TSI: 070804 - Headlamp moisture and dirt infiltration.

Moisture collection inside a composite headlight is normal and can be dissipated by operating the lights for approximately 15 minutes. However, in certain environmental conditions, the composite headlights can collect an excessive amount of moisture inside the lens which cannot be dissipated by regular use. To prevent this, install Gore-Tex® patches at the three venting locations by following these instructions.

Parts: 2593399C91

Gore-Tex, eh?

Seinfeld fans will appreciate that.

Edited by - Rich on 10/04/2008 2:22:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Spencer

United States
188 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2008 :  2:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol rich

New School Bus Site:
www.schoolbuslover.smfnew.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  1:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks mod...it worked...well at least the part about shutting him up! I got my super duper vent tube and gortex kit today along with the full TSI...a good job for a friday! Looking forward to this one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000