New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  1:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all
has anyone heard of a check valve to be put into the brake line to keep residual pressure in the cylinders so they will keep pressure on the seals for longer life?????
when we replace the backing plates(new from ford not rebuilds) the seals start to leak after about 2 years of service
all info would be helpful
thnx all
93 ford chassis

Edited by - wright11 on 11/23/2007 1:42:23 PM

BusBoy 1
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  07:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I put 1 in a couple years ago and have had no failures yet before that it was all the time leaking wheel cyl it fits right in the rear brake line. I can't remember if I got that from Ford or if I got it from Catco our aftermarket trucks parts company?
But it sure seems to work. Knock on wood!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  10:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi busboy
so how long were your cylinders lasting
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy 1
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  1:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They would last about 2 yrs max 1 was replaced the yr I put in the restricter and the other side was done the year before so that one has about 3 yrs on it now.
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  2:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do u put in new or rebuilds
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  3:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wright, get this tool from snap-on YA9070A. Makes shoe adjustment easier. We get our Ford brake stuff from Meritor, backing plate and all. Never used the restrictors before.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  4:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wolf ,,,,im being told that they are self adjusting, i have the tool and we are adjusting every 5000 km's because the adjusters dont seem to work!!!!! ever!!!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  12:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have to adjust them about twice a year myself. That's why I bought that tool. I have never had to replace any cylinders twice though. Buying the backplates complete and replacing the lipped drums has paid off for us. Also replacing any suspect brake pipes that look rusted, they blow out without warning. Most of the time when a trade in comes in, they need "Everything". We lease a few older 89-95 Fords out to construction companies who are rough on them. So far no problems. No fluid loss, etc. I would be interested in more info on these restrictors you speak of.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  6:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi wolf
im trying to get more info on the restrictors im hoping the forum guys and gals can give me suppliers and part numbers or just any info nomatter how usefull
pls remember im up in canada EH!!!
thanks all

Edited by - wright11 on 11/29/2007 6:32:12 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000