popping noise when applying service brake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yellow fever

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  6:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have several different international buses (1997-up)with air brakes,that make a popping noise when you apply service brakes.the bus does not have to be moving,and parking brake is released.checked rollers,anchor pins,return springs,"s" cam ,bushings,rod travel is within specs. a field rep. said it was the leaf spring pin/bushing.the problem is intermittent,

rustywrench

United States
38 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  8:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you checked slack adjuster clevis to push rod for wear and or clevis pins for being seized? I have had this happen a few times.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  6:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Several things can cause a popping or snapping sound from cam rollers and anchor pins to slack adjuster clevis pins. None of it is serious unless something is seized.

Starting this year, the Maine State Police have been writing up as defects any seized clevis pins. They were pleased when they found none in our bus fleet.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  11:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Either something is loose, seized or not rolling. I would suspect cam rollers first. You said they checked good but I'd try replacing them just the same. Make sure the cam is clean and has a smooth surface. Apply a small amount of anti-seize the roller pins when installing. Sliding rollers may work normally except under an extremely hard application or the brake. They can cause the bus to vere to one side.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  1:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to bring up an old post guys but I think I may have found an answer to my question by searching the forums. Brad may have answered it. I did a front brake job on a tc2000 last year and it is back for popping and veering to the right on hard braking. I had replaced both drums, shoes, rollers and pancakes due to rust. When it left everything was good up until now. I am a n00b at air brakes so I will be posting some more questions and hopefully my fix.
Also by "rollers" are you referring to what the s cam shaft rides in?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  06:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, nevermind. It's a different bus and it is rusted out on all fours. Two of the pancakes you can see the spring through the big rust holes.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

flyboy

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  12:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit flyboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No the rollers are the ones at the end of the brake shoe and ride on the S cam.Some might call them followers. We had a problem with rough cams causing the brakes to apply inconsistently. We smooth all S cams with an abrasive flap wheel and use new rollers as found in the brake hardware kits by Meritor or Euclid. No more pulling and popping brakes.
Go to Top of Page

wrenchmen

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  04:06:55 AM  Show Profile  Send wrenchmen an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
ditto what Brad said....anti-seize on all the rollers and pivot points of the brake hardware.
We use it on Install of new brake shoes and also if we start having the "popping noise" on brake application.

Go to Top of Page

wrenchmen

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  04:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Send wrenchmen an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Two of the pancakes you can see the spring through the big rust holes.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  11:59:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

Haha, nevermind. It's a different bus and it is rusted out on all fours. Two of the pancakes you can see the spring through the big rust holes.

Always a delight when you find that condition on the rear chambers isn't it? Nothing like removing it and carring away an f'ing time bomb!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  07:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya should wrap a chain around it.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  1:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the front two spiders off the bus. The brake chamber brackets, spider, slack adjusters and backplates are rusted beyond cleanup. I think I may look into major overhaul kits. They are Eaton standard 5" x 16.5 setup. The S cams are pitted pretty bad also.
BTW This is a 1996 TC2000. I found out this was a Wisconsin bus, sold in Michigan.
Now I see why corps retire busses after 12 years! Terrible.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000