New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  1:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, I have been running a Cub Cadet tractor for 4-5 years now, I have a few questions because as it gets older it has more and more problems, its only a 2001. These are just general questiopns, you can just say yes or no because I need to bring it to the dealer to get it looked at and I want to know if its just mine.

Has anybody had the weld on the mower deck break?
Does anybody have squeeky mower deck guide wheels, if so how can I make them stop squeeking? I have tried everything
How many hours can you go before having to refill?, this ones a gas hog
On this tractor when you reverse the blade automatically turns itself off, how can I disable this feature?

Thanks for your help

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  1:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't have a Cub Cadet, but rather a John Deere. I have however experienced some of the same issues.

1) Unless its a factory defect, the only thing that could cause the weld on the mower deck to break is abuse.
2) I too have squeaky deck wheels, I haven't found a solution either yet, my guess would be to grease (not oil) them.
3) My tractor doesn't have an hour meter, but I can mow my yard (about 1/4 to 1/2 an acre) 5 or 6 times on a tank (2.5 gallons).
4) The reverse shutoff when the blades are on is a safety feature and should NOT be disabled, my tractor has a "reverse override" button that you hold in if you want to back up with the blades engaged.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  1:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the neighbors have the reverse safety feature disabled

My tractor has a 5 gallon tank, and I can do 2.9 acres with about 7 gallons, so like I said its a hog. I take great care of the tractor but the terrain I am on has some rough spots with could be it.
Go to Top of Page

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  3:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, you can disable it (on my you pull the plug under the seat), but you really shouldn't. Its there to protect you.
I know what you mean about rough terrain, there is one spot in my yard that the first time I flew over it, I though it was going to bounce me off the tractor, lol.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  5:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just returned from the job and I realize driving a cub cadet gives you the feeling of driving a bus, you sit high up, it rattles when you hit big bumps, that springy seat reminds me of an air ride seat etc....

I know were most of the bumps are but every year there is a new one. The cub cadets dont have a plug under the seat, my problem is I do alot of reversing, so it turns off then you have to flip the switch on and off again. If you get time, look at an older Cub cadet, they are great tractors, great service to.

Also the way I see it, Cub Cadet is the IC of the tractor industry, John Deere is Blue Bird and whatever other major one I forgot is Thomcrap
Go to Top of Page

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  5:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC Kodie
Also the way I see it, Cub Cadet is the IC of the tractor industry, John Deere is Blue Bird and whatever other major one I forgot is Thomcrap

Simplicity would be the match for Thomas.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  5:51:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Cub Cadet is the IC of the tractor industry but not for the reasons you mention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cub_Cadet

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  6:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whats the reason I mentioned?
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  6:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow...Cub Cadet...that name sure brings back memories! I cut a lot of grass when I was a kid to earn money...and when I earned enough, I bought a new Cub Cadet lawn tractor around 1966 or 67...like bret said, International Harvester made them back then. And man, were they cool looking with that big white hood and the IH emblem on top of the grill.

Hey, bret, I know you hate IC....but IH's agricultural equipment was pretty good, wasn't it? Farmall tractors were all over the place....I still see them when I get out in farm country. But, I don't think IH is even in the ag business anymore.

Hey Kodie, bret's wiki article says MTD bought the Cub Cadet name....I hate to tell you, but MTD is the cheap ****. I've had a few of their machines and they weren't much.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  6:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alls I know, this is an 01, its amazing, but like anything else it has issues. The only plastic on it is the "dash", the fuel tank and the seat base. The new Cubs are all plastic mine is nice though
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  6:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love my Cub Cadet. I think its an '04 w/ a 50" deck (the heavier duty one) and its been around here since its first hour I do all the maintenance on them and am trying to get the Cub to last as long as possible. We also have an old '80s Deere thats been having some tranny troubles lately so our main one is the Cub. We have 5+ acres (For the land we have we really should have a real tractor... but we don't)and these 2 mowers take care of it. I enjoy taking care of them and enjoy lawnmowers in general, since the lawnmower industry isn't modernizing as fast as the transportation industry.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  6:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, I was probably the first one to start it after the factory, they are GREAT tractors, for me very reliable, I love how everything important is located within reach. I hate Deeres' where you have to reach out to lift the deck, that ugly yellow blade lever, just not pretty. The cub cadet yelow helps to.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  7:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought one of these last year:

http://www.exmark.com/ride.htm

All it does is cut grass...but MAN DOES IS CUT GRASS! Zero turn means next to no trimming. And it's a hoot to drive. I got the umbrella to keep the sun off...cup holder for the Silver Bullet.

Now all I need is some RAIN...I haven't mowed in over a month it's been so dry :(
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  7:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I used to have a 1999 cub cadet for my 2 acre yard. I retired it this year but it still ran. I gave it to a friend who modifies them for racing. I liked it, but out here in my part of indiana we have sand for soil so it went through blades like crazy. We bought a Huskqvarna before I moved out and it was goo but not very comfortable.

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  7:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC

I bought one of these last year:

http://www.exmark.com/ride.htm

All it does is cut grass...but MAN DOES IS CUT GRASS! Zero turn means next to no trimming. And it's a hoot to drive. I got the umbrella to keep the sun off...cup holder for the Silver Bullet.

Now all I need is some RAIN...I haven't mowed in over a month it's been so dry :(

I used a Doxie Chopper like those at work ans the thing does like 18mph. I loooovve it.

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  9:18:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other question I have. How can you adjust the cub cadets steering radius? its not great.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  9:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought a John Deere here last year, so far it's been a good tractor, no issues to date.

Go to Top of Page

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  06:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC
But, I don't think IH is even in the ag business anymore.

They are...sort of. They are in combination with Case. Thats why the Case tractors say Case IH ( http://caseih.com/home.aspx?RL=ENNA ).

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  10:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use a International Harvester (thats going back), now they are Cub Cadet. We have a few problems, yesterday the tractor shuts off if you put the mower on too fast. But I love using it.
The turning raduis' on the cadets/IH *****, the only reason why I am able to make tighter left turns, because I use to play on the tactor when it was in the garage, and turned the wheels too much.

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000