Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 injector knock
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fj45lvr

United States
10 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  12:06:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit fj45lvr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I gave my 8.2L a "base circle" tune up and adjusted the valves and was hoping I might be able to get this thing to not put out so much white smoke on startup (it mostly clears up when warmed up but not all the way) a few injectors and valves were off a bit but it didn't seem to change much. I was also hoping to find a clue as to where a audible "knock" is coming from...with a wooden dowel I can't find anyplace on the motor where you can pinpoint it eminating from....my tractor mechanic friend thought it was from an injector....so do these injectors have the potential to Knock in your experience? I have a set of rebuilt ones if needed.

I don't know if it is occuring every rotation or every other...a valve? cracked piston? wrist pin? slap? I guess I'll have to break down and take it somewhere to get a more experienced opinion.

I changed the oil and there was no metal on the magnet from the drain plug or metallic sheen and I didn't percieve any fuel in the oil.

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2007 :  08:19:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Turbo or N/A?

The 8.2L engines I have seen were mostly quiet, due to LATE injection timing from the specs. But if you set them to the "industrial" settings, they start a LOT better, have much less white/gray cold smoke, but do get injector knock.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

fj45lvr

United States
10 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  01:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit fj45lvr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
turbo

the motor starts up immeadiately when you crank it and doesn't have a "miss". I set the injectors to the heights given on the valve cover...hopefully if any thing was ever done to it they would have wiped those numbers out or something as you would then have to re-establish the correct heights by tdc and the manual states you would use a special plug in the 1 cylinder with head removed (don't want to go there).
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  06:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
typically they leak fuel to the oil way before any other issues.
is the engine coming up to temp? does the noise go away when warm? double check for leaks(air in fuel) in the fuel suction side. this will cause a inj knock. do you have access to a infared temp gun? if so check the manifolds after start up and see if you have a cold cyl. typically we just set them at 47.35 incase there was a major component change. they are forgiving though so i wouldnt be concerned on that.

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

fj45lvr

United States
10 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  06:33:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit fj45lvr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
is the engine coming up to temp?

I don't remember this but I believe it did according to the gauge...I was watching it periodically to make sure I didn't overheat it being new to me.

does the noise go away when warm? NO

Thanks, I'll check for air leaks and I don't have a infared gun but I may be able to drive it to someone that does to check that.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000