who takes cares of your bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bus917

United States
77 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  08:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just wondering how many of you fuel your bus? do you take care of the inside of the bus keeping it clean? if so who supplies you with the cleaning chemicals? who washes the outside of your bus? I have heard that some co's have people who fuel your bus for you and keep the outside clean. and the co provides cleaning products. i fuel my own, thank goodness for the 100 gal tank.We also clean our buses but the co only gives you a broom and a bottle filled with washerfluid. which doesn't fly with me so i buy my own cleaning products, plus i spray my bus everynight with lysol then I leave two of the back windows down a crack to kill any germs. and we wash our own buses cause the people who are to do it tells us they have no time. which means some our buses are dirty that you can't see out any windows if you wanted too.

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  09:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do not fuel our own buses, we have three full timers who fuel our buses. We are responsible for keeping the inside of our buses clean at all times. The school district I work for provides us with a broom, Windex, and Speedball. We are not responsible for the outsides of our buses except for the windows. The outsides are supposed to be washed by full timers also, but as stated in the original forum, they have no time to keep them clean. Last year and the beginning of this year, I washed the outside of my own bus and my boss put a stop to it this year because another driver complained and it's stated in our contract that we're not allowed to wash the outsides of our buses.

I'll show you my air brakes if you show me yours.
Go to Top of Page

littlebit
Advanced Member

431 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  12:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we are responsible for washing, fueling and keeping our own buses clean. Of course they provide all the supplies that we need. One of the mechanics does fuel the sub buses every Wed and once a yr a crew from the county will come in and clean the top of the buses. We aren't allowed to do the tops ourselves.

Bus 34
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  4:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Where I work, the company takes care of fueling (actually we hire an outside fuel service to fuel them at night) and washing the outside. When I say they take care of washing the outside, I mean there is a certain designated group of drivers that are "bus washers" and clean the buses when they're dirty. I am part of our wash crew. They pay us a special "non-revenue" rate for washing them, which is significantly lower than our route rate. I think that's crap, it's more work washing the buses than it is driving them. Each driver is responsible for dusting the dash, washing the inside of the windshield, and sweeping the floor. The "major" inside cleaning, which includes hosing out and scrubbing the floor, polsihing the dash with pledge, dusting above the windows, and washing the insides of all the windows is done by the wash crew at the end of the summer before the new school year starts. Each bus is supplied with a roll of paper towels and a spray bottle with windex.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  4:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We fuel our own buses at any of the County's 30 or 40 fuel sites. We are not supposed to ever park them with less than half a tank...in case they are needed for disaster evacuation duty.

We are supposed to keep the inside clean with brooms supplied by us. They do give us glass cleaner and paper towels for the windows. They supposedly can deny us a new, or newer bus (upgrade) if we do not keep our buses clean....but I've seen many drivers of rolling pig sties get new buses!

They will pay us to wash the outside of our buses or you can flag down the pressure wash trucks at our two big garages. Sometimes they wash 'em when they are in for PM service.
Go to Top of Page

bus917

United States
77 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  5:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
intresting how bus co differ. we have our fuel station at the yard.we too are not to go below a 1/2 tank now we mop our own also. now for summer cleaning we get paid 80.00 to clean them and that is taking all seat cushions out scrubbing down seat frames, scraping who knows what off the floor( some drivers are pigs) mopping the floor and waxing it etc.. some days when its cold out I wish someone else would fuel my bus
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  5:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We have a yard guy who takes care of fueling and fluid checks for our 90+ bus fleet. He is also a driver and does some basic maintenance. We have a fuel pump in the bus yard. When buses need fueling, we can wait in the "fuel line" after a.m. routes, or park the buses in a designated location and put a fuel sign up.

It is the driver's responsibility to keep the inside of their buses clean. We have an unpaved bus yard, and interiors on most buses are dusty/dirty. We are supplied with a broom, trash bucket, and trash bags. Drivers can purchase cleaning supplies on their own.

The buses never get washed on the outside (only when it rains). We are not even allowed to wash them! I am really disappointed in how our one year old IC CEs look. They look horrible!
Go to Top of Page

bus917

United States
77 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  08:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would think that they would want the buses clean we drive them all the place with there name on the side I always feel bad when i have a chater and the outside is dirty and the other buses are cleaner then mine.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  10:46:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody sweep the OUTSIDE of their bus? I know, I know....it's not the best thing for the paint, but when my bus is completely dry and the large gauge sediment dirt is just laying there...it can be swept off with a broom.

I don't make a habit of it...but I've done it....
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  10:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our Grand Island fleet has 70+ buses. Our drivers are responsible for fueling the bus and keeping it clean. Our buses can never be below a half tank. At the end of the day the driver pulls the bus up to the garages fueling stationa and fills it. As for keeping them clean drivers sign up to be on the bus washing team for the month and clean only the outside with powerwashers. Drivers keep the inside clean but the district supplies cleaning stuff
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  5:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC

Does anybody sweep the OUTSIDE of their bus? I know, I know....it's not the best thing for the paint, but when my bus is completely dry and the large gauge sediment dirt is just laying there...it can be swept off with a broom.

I don't make a habit of it...but I've done it....

I sweep the back windows and the bottom windows on my service door. I don't sweep the paint because I don't want to scratch it, however I find it does no damage to the glass. Some drivers claim it does scratch the glass, but I've never seen any damage as a result of sweeping.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  11:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I sweep the back windows and the bottom windows on my service door. I don't sweep the paint because I don't want to scratch it, however I find it does no damage to the glass. Some drivers claim it does scratch the glass, but I've never seen any damage as a result of sweeping.

Hey Dave,

My current assigned bus, a 2001 Intl/BB, has a lot of scratches on the rear windows due to the driver sweeping the windows with a broom.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000