Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  04:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel like the bus industry is being overtaken by the C2 buses (Thomas Safe T Liner C2)

I was in a town the other day and saw nothing but those things and wanted to run away, until I saw something and it saved my day.

A BlueBird Vision (the one with those little windows). I used to think that the BlueBird Visions were ugly- but now they are NICE buses compared to the C2 models.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Why are the Thomas C2 buses taking over? So, if you want to order a Thomas conventional it has to be a C2? That is awful. I like Thomas Built....but....

Just my honest opinion.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 01/17/2007 04:05:43 AM

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  04:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't agree. You could always move far far away so you never have to see them.
Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  05:34:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
oh NO! Don't look at my sig!

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  05:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least someone agrees with me that they look like little bugs...i dont think moving would be a solution, they are overtaking everything....

lords47...i think an ic-re or amtran re would look a lot better in your sig. pic.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 01/17/2007 05:41:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  05:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
;) My company doesn't buy them... and for good reason heheheheh

But i WILL agree... i still prefer the FS-65

- Ryan

Edited by - Lords47 on 01/17/2007 05:44:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  06:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't blame your company for not buying the C2 buses.

I'm going to miss the FS 65 buses too, (i don't drive them, my bus is a FE) I just learned what they were not too long ago and now they decide to stop making them. Some other drivers told me they like the FS 65 over some other bus...I forgot what the other bus was?

The other buses they were talking about were conventionals but they had a yellow nose and the sun would reflect into their eyes. I think the FS 65 buses had the black noses so that would eliminate the sun from reflecting in their eyes...Or something along those means.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 01/17/2007 06:03:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  06:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oops... i meant my company doesn't buy Amtran RE's or IC RE's. We have plenty of C2's, or should I say ... a glorified mini-van. The pic in my sig is one of many C2's parked in our lot.

One thing I originally did NOT like, but now DO like is the hydraulic break peddle. All of our school buses have hydraulic brakes. In the FS-65 and most other school buses, the hydraulic lever is definately a pain to engage at every pickup/dropoff. The C2's have a peddle for the hyrdaulic brake, like what many cars and SUV's have. Push it with your left foot to engage, push it again to disengage. It makes student pickup/dropoff a breeze.

- Ryan

Edited by - Lords47 on 01/17/2007 06:14:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

School Bus M8
Top Member

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  06:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit School Bus M8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't like the C2's either. I love the FS-65 though and I think the retirement of them is a big loss. We don't have c2's in our town but a neighboring town has them.

My cousin plays football for the high school around here and they are a really good team. They kicked the neighboring towns butt on the Thanksgiving game. When the neighboring town went back on their bus the kids from our town were making fun of the bus they went back on; a c2. They started saying things like "look how gay their bus looks, it just their type of bus."(you know typical rivalry comments) The kids hate the c2s around here. They think they're ugly and are always commenting on them when they see the c2 drive by. However, the comments have died down since the kids don't really pay attention anymore.

If we were to get new buses we would most likely get ic-ce's. There are not too many c2's around here. Another neighboring town used to get the FS-65's but have since just recently changed to IC's.

I preferrably would choose a new Bluebird Vision over anything else follwed by an IC-Ce. Since the Vision update I hope to maybe see some more around here. I would like to see Bluebird reclaim some of it's territory again in this area. Years ago all you basically saw in this area was Bluebird and some Thomas. Whether it was a Ford,GMC or international it was most likely mounted on a Bluebird around here. Now its mostly IC.

I think though that since the loss of the FS-65 we will be seeing many of them being replaced by IC-CE's. However, if Bluebird would update their Visions like IC updated their Ce's (higher headroom, larger, one piece windshield, I bet they would sell like hotcakes around here providing the price is right and competitive.
Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  06:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. The style of the C2 is aggressive and a risky move on behalf of Thomas. Though my company does have many C2's because they have been a long time customer of Thomas products, we've been buying more and more of IC products. I think that is probably the case with many companies and districts.

I CAN say with confidence that the problems we've had with the C2 are substantially LESS than the problems we've had with our IC-CE200's with the VT-365 engine. All of our C2's (and about 1/2 of our FS-65's) are equipped with the MBE engine, which in my opinion is the best engine money can buy. Its extremely reliable, powerful and some-what quiet (when compared to the CAT C7). It is far superior to any engine offered by IC, CAT or Cummins... in my opinion of course.

I guess if IC started putting the MBE in their products, then we'd be talking. Until then...

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  08:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There are only two or three C2s within a 10 mile radius from where I live. One of the schools nearby purchased a C2 last summer to be used for school trips only. A nearby district owns/operates their own buses and their fleet is all GMC/Blue Bird and Blue Bird Vision with the exception of one or two C2s.

quote:
The C2's have a peddle for the hyrdaulic brake, like what many cars and SUV's have. Push it with your left foot to engage, push it again to disengage. It makes student pickup/dropoff a breeze.

I have not driven a C2 on a route, so I am not sure if I would like that parking brake pedal set-up. I would imagine it's better than the lever. However, I would think the push/pull parking brake that IC uses on their hydraulic-equipped buses is even easier to use than the pedal on the C2s.
Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  08:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
However, I would think the push/pull parking brake that IC uses on their hydraulic-equipped buses is even easier to use than the pedal on the C2s.

You would think correct. Also, the layout of the controls is much more user-friendly and ergonomically correct in an IC vs. C2.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  11:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
For me I'd be running away from the looks of the IC RE, jk. I do like Thomas' buses better; like most I prefer the previous conventional. The only Thomas Saf-T-Liner C2 I saw in person was in Las Vegas; a white activity bus in a private school parking lot. If there are problems with them mechanically, hopefully they're solved soon.

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

Bus9709
Top Member

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  12:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bus9709's Homepage  Click to see Bus9709's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What?......C2s are a good thing! Lol! And I've got three C2 posters on the wall in my room.

Edited by - Bus9709 on 01/17/2007 12:07:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  1:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd actually like to see a few more in this area. I know of less then 30 C2's within 100 miles of where I am. That's not too many if you think about it.
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  2:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've only seen one C2 in person in my whole life. Ah las, better than the CE's i guess.

~Jake~
Go to Top of Page

School Bus M8
Top Member

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  2:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit School Bus M8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 2009 BB Vision that Jarod made on his site looks like it would be an awesome bus if Bluebird actually went foward with it.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  3:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I still have not seen a C2 in person. We are being over runed by CEs

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  4:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I believe C2's were just approved by the CT DMV for use in this state, so I'll probably start to see some more of them soon. I've seen two in this state so far, one just last week. So Amtran, if you want to move to an area that's almost C2-Free, venture on down to CT. I'm not a huge fan of them basically because when I'm driving a bus, I like to feel like I'm driving a bus, not a "glorified mini van", as someone else put it. I like to sit high, swing wide, and use my arm rather than my finger to open the door. These new buses make things too easy on the driver. For me, if there isn't a challenge every now and then, the job gets a little boring. I drive an '05 IC CE, however I always take one of our '93 Blue Birds on trips whenever I can, and would switch permanently to one of these buses for my route if I could. But that's just me.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  4:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WV108

Come on over to our county. We've already got 32 of them. You'll get to see the ridiculously tall seat backs that WV requires as of this year.

I forgot to check those out the day I was there. But I'm sure the kids up your way are angels and you don't have to worry about what they are doing down in the seats!
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  5:14:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You would think correct. Also, the layout of the controls is much more user-friendly and ergonomically correct in an IC vs. C2.

I would have to agree with you on that one. I prefer the "wrap-around" design of the IC CE driver's area.

quote:
For me I'd be running away from the looks of the IC RE, jk. I do like Thomas' buses better; like most I prefer the previous conventional.

If CCSD operated some IC REs, perhaps you'd like 'em more. If they had some IC REs, with their specs, I would have to consider relocating!
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  6:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
the only not-ugly C2 i've seen is Loudoun Cos shorty C2. the shorter length balanced out that skinny width. looked ok. as for the others, blech!

1Peter 1:3
Go to Top of Page

United States
129 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  7:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have several C2's with MB906 engines. Other than a few minor adjustments that have been adjusted on site by the dealer, the bodies have been trouble free. As for the Mercedes engine, they have been flawless.

We have them in 54-passenger with lift, 77-passenger and 77-passenger with lift. Drivers report that they can put them anywhere that they could put thier transit style bus (and in some places they could'nt). The drivers like the smooth ride, the performance of the bus (hill climbing and ablity to hold a steady speed on the highway) Just different looking at first.

Edited by - 722 on 01/17/2007 7:33:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  10:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have yet to see a C2 in Southwest Washington, but have recently seen a few Visions. Southwest Washington as a whole is mostly moving to transit-style buses.
Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  06:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave - the company thats runs Thomaston and Plymouth has one c2, I know a driver from Thomaston who lives in Torrington who does not like the c2 at all. I see more CE and BB Int. than anyhting in CT, hopfully we might see some Vision buses!

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  06:41:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AmTran, don't move to NY. There are over 300 C2s within a 50 mile radius of my house!

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  07:09:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What states would you say that the C2 is most popular in?
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  07:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

What states would you say that the C2 is most popular in?

I believe NC, SC, FL, and NY have the highest numbers of C2's at this point.
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  11:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Southeast Michigan has a high volume of the c2's. They have their popularity coast to coast just like the other manufacturers.
Go to Top of Page

ICfan
Top Member

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  11:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would agree with rich on the states his said.

Tyler Roys Weatherman and International Fan,

http://www.freewebs.com/thectschoolbusyard
Go to Top of Page

Bus9709
Top Member

USA
751 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  12:04:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bus9709's Homepage  Click to see Bus9709's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Florida? You better believe it. Lol. My county probably bought around 24 C2s for the 05-06 school year. Then we bought another batch for this year. Lol!
Go to Top of Page

kentuckynascar1
Advanced Member

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  12:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen only one C2-a Mulenburg Co. bus in Lexington, so they are in KY
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  1:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a picture of a North Carolina SCHOOL BUS spec C2? Ive seen the activity buses, but not a school bus yet.

=
Go to Top of Page

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  3:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
C2's are new to my district, we only have 3 out of about 50 buses. I hated them at first, but after riding on one, and looking at more of them up close, they are actually growing on me. In response to the hydraulic brake lever, out of the total 13yrs. that I rode a bus (many different drivers over the years), ony ONE (1) driver ever engaged the parking brake at every pickup/drop-off. However, as the year went on, he did it less and less until he gave it up all together.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  6:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bus9709,

Are you familiar with any of the Martin District Schools buses? If so what do they mostly run in their fleet?

Kevin

Your Child's Safety is Our Business
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  7:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh look, another C2...

They look like ant eaters. My friend and I think so, with their snouty noses.

Attn: Thomas C2's belong in space.

Go to Top of Page

Lords47
Top Member

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  05:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Lords47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Gotta admit.. thats a pretty funny picture.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000