School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 How to release parking brakes on Ford Bluebird?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  2:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I may have messed up. I'm pulling the Cummins out of my school bus and I left the parkign brakes on. I'm almost ready to pull the engine when I realize this. I pulled the plug at the top and bottom of the brake boost at the wheels and the fluid drained out but it seems like the brakes are still on. The boosters or can things seem like they unscrew, but I didn't want to proceed and make things worse. How do I disengage the brakes so that the tow rig can haul this shell away when I'm finished?
Thanks,
Dave

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  3:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH NO...a lucas-girling brake system. Draining the fluid won't help you, but that's about all I know of these units.

You best repost this in professional garage...there's a few guys that know these forsaken systems well and can help you out.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  4:55:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There is a screw on the back of the canister. loosen it

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  5:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey 78 the one with the locknut and the screw? Actually makes some sense now that you say that when looking at it. Hydraulic pressure enters at one end to over come spring pressure at other end. I'm going to release the spring pressure. Cool. Chock blocks for sure.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by - asnowsquall on 10/29/2006 5:48:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  4:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes you have to loosen those screws/locknuts almost all the way, but don't take them fully out and don't make them soo loose that they'll vibrate out. When I had my 85Ford, it had the L-G brake system, and the night I had to have it towed is when I found out about that little trick to release the brakes. Anyway once you get those down you can tow that sucker anywhere you wana go, but BE CAREFUL! sometimes if the screws/locknuts are stripped or worn down enough they can slip back into canister and lock up the wheels while your towing - which can cause multiple problems. But anyway yeah, that's all you have to do What year is your Ford? Looks a wee bit rusty underneath.

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  12:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its a 1992 and its here in Vermont, hence the rust. Thanks for all of the info!
Dave
Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  08:08:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like I get to remove the canister for the emergency brakes on one of my buses. One of the rusty brake lines blew and its the curved piece that joins up the two side. It is almost up against the backing plate, and is curved to go over the axle end. No picture. Looks like a PIA. How the heck do you bleed these bad boys? Can't see a bleeder valve.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  10:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asnowsquall

Looks like I get to remove the canister for the emergency brakes on one of my buses. One of the rusty brake lines blew and its the curved piece that joins up the two side. It is almost up against the backing plate, and is curved to go over the axle end. No picture. Looks like a PIA. How the heck do you bleed these bad boys? Can't see a bleeder valve.

Those lines are not cheep!
Bleeding fords is fun

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

asnowsquall

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  1:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit asnowsquall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
can't just make some lines?
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2006 :  4:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asnowsquall

can't just make some lines?

Its been a long time since ive replaced one of those. I seem to remember special fittings or something special about that line
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000