Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 30 30 air can
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

john89thomas

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  5:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit john89thomas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i wish to service the air diaphrams on my rear axle.at a 125.00 dollars difference and time savings(dismounting,air hoses and cutting a grade 8 11/16 shaft),is it really unsafe to do the slack adj. side,and how was it done before the non servicable became the new style and does that mean that my old ones should be traded in for the modern ones.thank you,john

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  6:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't work on the chambers if you aren't trained... pay the "man" and get it done by a pro.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  10:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's cheaper to hang 2 new $45 Bendix air cans and be done with it.
Go to Top of Page

ColoradoBusmech

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  7:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are sure that only the service side diaphram is leaking and not the chamber shaft seal, than it is much cheaper and less time consuming to simply replace the service side diaphram. Reccomended practice is to change the diaphrams for both pods on the same axle. Do NOT attempt to change the diaphram on the spring brake side of the brake chamber. Even though older brake chambers have removable clamps on the spring brake side, do NOT attempt to remove these.

However, as posted previously do not attempt repairs without proper training.
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  10:27:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DO NOT TOUCH these things unless you have been trained, period. Even replacing a service side diaphram can lead to serious if not fatal injury if you don't completely understand how they are assmembled and work. Failure to properly assemble a chamber can lead to sudden brake failure.
This is one of those areas where what you don't know CAN hurt you (or someone else).

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

john89thomas

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  10:38:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit john89thomas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have been watching for other replies,thank you for all the answers.i have never been the type to pay someone to do something that i can do.i think i'm leaning toward exchange.i would rebuild if i thought i could do the unsafe side safely.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  6:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even with journey-level techs, a chop-saw, hyd lifts, and shop air, I would install new cans rather than rebuild. On the rare occasion an air can leaks, it's pretty old. I replace as many for weak springs as air leaks. This is on a school bus?
Go to Top of Page

john89thomas

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  2:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit john89thomas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes,it is a bus,retitled as a motorhome,which is a 2500 hr. project in its self.thank you for your answer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000