Bug problems....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  2:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The bus I own is always infested with bugs. They don't seem to do any damage, but the spiders and those Japenese Beetles which look like orange lady bugs (BTW, I heard that they were imported to get rid of Gypsy Moths) get really annoying. Has anyone ever had these problems? How did you solve them, if you did at all? I constantly find them in various places... They like to crawl in and out of the static exhaust vent, under the door, and in other places. The spiders seem to like to lay their eggs in that little sticky bundle in the holes where the screws for the 7 inch lights are (exterior). Also, if they crawled up the exhaust pipe and got into the diesel engine, would they do any damage, or just burn up? I recently found some webs on the opening, so I wasn't sure if I should be worried or not. So far, I've had no problems with that, though.

Stop at: www.buses.cjb.net

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  2:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The bus I ride has ants,and I one of the other buses had a snake.
S.Jackson
97-12 it will outrun your bus

Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  2:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The bus I ride has ants,and one of the other buses had a snake.
S.Jackson
97-12 it will outrun your bus

Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  3:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my grandparents had a 1960-ish Carpenter on a Ford chassis, and they had a problem with bees building nests in the engine compartment.

It took four times to get them to leave.

"Preserving America's best - THE GILLIG! - THE BEST NEVER REST" http://www.geocities.com/gilligcoaches/
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  4:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bugs have always been a problem in south Florida. If kids eat on the bus and don't clean up well, bugs WILL come. If thE buses aren't kept clean of food, they WILL come. Spray all you want, but if there is food there will be bugs! iT'S A NEVER ENDING BATTLE!
jOE

Go to Top of Page

VanHool21

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  6:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bugs crawling up the exhaust pipe will not likely cause any engine problems,I doubt they could crawl through the muffler anyway.The only things that will make the bugs go away is keeping the bus clean,constanly spraying and the best method...COLD WEATHER!!
I did have a bird to construct a nest under the hood of my 1983 International after it sat about a week during spring break.It was on the firewall near the battery.I saw the bird fly up to the front wheel,sit there a moment and then fly under the hood.I went to check it out and found the nest.I removed it and as I went out the next morning to start the bus,I checked under the hood again and much to my surprise,the bird had rebiult the nest overnight!!

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2001 :  7:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, these bugs seem to be super bugs or something... They seem to last through the c-c-c-cold winter. The spiders, that is. They're probably hiding in the insulation during the winter, or something. They always seem to survive. And lemme tell ya, that Thomas insulation is GREAT! But that's another topic...hehehe Anyway, thanks for your help, and I'd like to hear more!

Stop at: www.buses.cjb.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000