Thomas Vista... International 3600
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2001bluebird

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  12:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where was the AM/FM Radio Located on these buses. What were the common problems with them( I Know have heard there was a lot) Where would a 2 way radio be placed? Oh and how was the 3600 Chasis

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  1:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AM/FM was located on the bulkhead, all the way to the left, similar to how they are mounted on the EF and older ERs. Two way radios can be placed in many locations, basically wherever your heart desires... above the window, above the AM/FM, on the dash panel etc.

Common problems with Vistas was excess heat in the driver's area, and some had minor cracks in body metal, but not cracks that could comprimise the structure. The 3600 chassis is basically just a modified 3800 chassis, so it was a great chassis. Can't beat an International engine... at least not back then.

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  2:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There are still districts in Michigan running the Vista/3600. It wasn't the best unit produced, as mentioned heat was an issue as well as some minor problems with the body. However they haven't seen the need to retire them early so they can't be all that bad. Many liked the improved visibility offered with the 3600 over the 3800.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  6:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The vistas had some good points and some major downfalls in it's design.

I had three of them ('95, '96 and '97). The 95 had MASSIVE water leakage all over the front end...I mean REALLY BAD. The '97 actually lost a windshield one day. Other than that the bodies weren't too bad for us.

The Chassis was... well...I'll be nice...equipped with the T444E, performing some maintenance and repair tasks were a nightmare.

A commom problem is the wiring harness rotting where it passes from the Left-Front exterior to the interior behind a hinged panel on the front.

My drivers hated these buses for a variety of reasons. Ours had hydraulic brakes and the pedal was just horribly placed (too high).

We mechanics hated these buses. Some folks liked 'em, but I didn't shed any tears when they discontinued the things.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 10/14/2005 6:52:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

scottyd
Advanced Member

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  8:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Send scottyd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We here in Fairfax have about 20 1994 Vista's in our special ed fleet. I ended up driving one today. Not a bad little bus--a lot like driving a full size van--but not the best either. The thing I hate most about it is the location of the oil dip stick. I never can find it!!! I hadn't driven on in about 3 years.

Scott
Driving America's Future
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000