Enter Forum: General Interest
 New Buses with Manual Transmissions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ltrain2001

139 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  9:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious. Does anyone have a new bus spec'd with a manual transmission? I have heard of Freightliners being equipped with them, but does anyone have a new BB or IC with it?

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  9:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While IC is saying they wont put a manual in a new bus, I'm sure if you ordered in a large quantity, or gave enough cash, they'd probably do it.

I heard someone mention that they saw a Blue Bird Vision with a manual transmission, I'm not sure if this was factory installed or not.

As far as Thomas goes, I'm not sure. You could probably still order one in an FS-65, but I doubt we'll ever see a C2 with one.

Go to Top of Page

BusladyofSoCal
Advanced Member

USA
366 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  08:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusladyofSoCal's Homepage  Send BusladyofSoCal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Blue Bird charges more for a stickshift tranny

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  3:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know the only manufacturer that still lists it as an available option is Freightilner in the FS-65. I've also heard that Blue Bird will do it and as BusladyofSoCal said they do charge more for it. It would be interesting to see if IC would install one in their CE, they still offer the manual doors.

I didn't mind driving the manual transmissions although the automatics are much easier. I've had problems with the auto transmission in the 98 that I drove and the 04 that I currently drive, never had transmission problems with my manuals, but I am aware that it's more cost effective for automatics since a lot of people are not good with manuals and wear out the clutches. I once heard someone say they had 7 buses with manual transmissions and went through 9 clutches in one school year ouch!

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Rockstar97

147 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  08:29:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The newest bus we have with a manual tranny is a '99 BB. We may have just stopped ordering them, or it may have been an availability issue. About two-thirds of our fleet is manual. I did see a nice '02 BB with a stick shift, but it was from our sister company.
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  09:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would you?

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  12:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rswboe

Why would you?

Some people enjoy driving them.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  5:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rswboe

Why would you?

I dont know about now, but Allison transes werent the best.
The old AT545s back in the day, you look at them wrong and they quit

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  08:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
While IC is saying they wont put a manual in a new bus, I'm sure if you ordered in a large quantity, or gave enough cash, they'd probably do it.

Actually they don't even have the parts on hand to do one even if they wanted to. The truck parts don't interchange like in the "old days". I don't think it's possible without a HUGE investment in parts.
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  09:52:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some driver enjoy driving them, most just smoke clutches. No thanks, I'll pass. We retired every member of the clutch of the week club some time ago, goodby, and good riddance.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000