Transportation Director No CDL
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  08:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was just curious...does anyone know what he law is reagrding Transportation Directors having a CDL. In GA...the Director is required to have a CDL with P and S endorsements.

If a director has a Class B license with no endorsements...is he given a waiver to drive a bus load of students to athletic trips and on a bus route? I'm not sure if it's posted on this site, but last year in Carroll County GA a driver in training on a route flipped a bus and killed a high school student. He only had a CDL permit to drive a bus and the trainer was on the bus with him when this accident occurred. The authorities stated he lacked the credentials to drive that bus legally. GA has a 12-6-6 training program you have to complete along with a 31 unit course. The director in question has none of this training.

The training is 12 hours of classroom training, 6 hours of driver training with students, and 6 hours of driving without students.

So how is it that a director who has none of this is allowed to drive a school bus? This has been reported to the superintendent by a sheriffs deputy that stopped the Director in a bus and yet the director is still driving a bus due to a driver shortage.

Does this sound legal? I'm sure it's a HUGE liability. What are your thoughts?

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  09:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My question would be: who would be in a position to give a waiver?
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  11:04:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In an emergency anyone can drive the school bus, including a rider. Not convinced myself that short on drivers supports an emergency. You would have to check with your state's PTS for your answer. (jk)

In Loving Memory Of Karen Stoute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5j4g36J7jw&feature=youtu.be

Free images for your newsletters, letters, memos and training materials
Click here to view and copy free images. - Updated July 05, 2011

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  3:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just threw a waiver in to get thoughts on it. I wouldn't think anyone would be able to give a waiver. But crazier things have happened. The shortage of drivers is because of the TD. Out of 60 drivers 17 quit before school started. People were trained and as of today (1 Month of school in) 8 more have quit. Mechanics and even janitors with CDLs are driving.

Drivers are taking their sick days now because a few of them are using them so they don't lose them before they quit or retire.

This TD signed off on a drivers request for a sick day so she could go to a doctor's appointment that had been schedlued 2 weeks prior. The driver drove the morning route and reminded this jerk TD she had her appointment and he told her no. She told him the appointment was set and she was not going to miss it. He threatened her with her job and yet she replied she would not be in that afternoon. The driver died the next day because she valued her job and let the TD intimidate her. Now it has been revealed by the family that had she gone to her scheduled appointment...her doctor may have placed her in the hospital. She died from a stroke...something that probably could have been prevented had she gone to her doctor and they gave her preventative care.

This TD was stopped by a local deputy sheriff for driving the school bus when he didn't have the proper license. I just found out this afternoon that there was no emergency when the TD drove the school bus. He was running a field trip for a ball club. Yeah...you read it right, a ball trip.

The school board refuses to do anything with this TD. It's omly a matter of time before he wrecks and hurts someone and then the school district ends up being sued.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  4:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bus driver dies of a stroke that could have been prevented had the TD let her keep her appointment? And it's not in the news? That's rather odd. (jk)

Other free resources at this forum link: Click Here for Link
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2011 :  9:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not odd James...very typical for this school district...the news tried to investigate this story and the school superintendent would not comment. I have heard that the family has retained an attorney. I can only imagine what is next.

My phone rings every oher night with an ew story from people that I know that work or are over different departments. I have no idea why the media won't expose what is going on.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  12:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No letters to editor? No links? (jk)

In Loving Memory Of Karen Stoute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5j4g36J7jw&feature=youtu.be

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  7:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
James...I personally called a reporter with the Macon Telegraph and she got back to me today...she is following up on the story. Thank Goodness someone listened. But I have found out today that people have been reporting this director for over a year now and some residents are demanding answers and of course the school board is blowing the reporter and the public off. When I see something I'll post a link on here for you read the outcome for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  8:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to get off topic, but why are you posting from two different accounts? Just curious.

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=1059
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=1030

Edited by - Jake on 09/10/2011 8:01:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  06:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two different computers with different passwords?
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2011 :  04:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In our state the supperintendant or school board can not hire a school bus driver witout having a CDL with P&S endorsments and a school bus certification issued by the state.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  4:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by truck451

In my state; carrying a CDL is not a requirement. And neither are any endorsements. For a person who is a TD-that is.

Myself with the s-endorsement and decent training consider the CDL a useless expense on single frame school buses. School bus drivers are driving the safest modified motorhome on wheels, and easy to notice some motorhomes even pull trailers behind them. We are not transporting cargo, we transport precious lives and need to focus around that reality. I would recommend abandoning the CDL requirement from school bus driver requirements as well, and spend the savings on training and recruiting a larger pool of candidates, including requiring an s-endorsement for TD's driving the school bus when children onboard. (jk)

Other free resources at this forum link: Click Here for Link

Facebook.

Edited by - JK on 10/01/2011 4:28:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000