28 inch seating and window lines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TC3000

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  4:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should federal standards be amended to require all school bus seats to be 28 inch type? How many states require them?
Also, how many states require a window line (read: Do Not Lower Below This Line)?
Do busses spec'd with 28 inch seating automatically get window lines, and the lettering at the front stating the capacity/no standees/length, or can you choose between either tall seats only, window lines only, lettering only, tall seats/lettering, window line/lettering, or all three? Most of the busses I've seen with 28 inch seating also have the window line and the lettering in the front stating the capacity, length, and that no standees are permitted.

Edited by - TC3000 on 04/14/2005 4:46:18 PM

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  5:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New York requires I believe 39 inch seat backs. I personally prefer these, since it gives my head support while sitting, and in accidents provides great protection.

There are some drawbacks, however. One big issue with highback seats is that driver's have a harder time seeing what is going on behind the seats. And in some cases, the seat backs block emergency exit windows, since many manufacturers don't do the best job in leaving space!

I do feel that the pros outway the cons, however, so I'd definitely like to see the New York highbacks become a nationwide spec.

And regarding the "window line"... New York requires that the bus windows go no further than 6 inches down. There are screws preventing it from going further. I am not a fan of that law.

Go to Top of Page

TC3000

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  5:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
New York requires that the bus windows go no further than 6 inches down. There are screws preventing it from going further.

Wouldn't that be the second or third notch? I know Illionis requires this too. Our district has at least two buses I know of with a window line, but there is no screw to stop them from going below it (they apparantely originated in Indiana)
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  10:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I am not mistaken, the NTSB recommended making the New York Highback the federal standard very recently. Tests show that passengers are far less likely to override the higher seatback during a frontal crash, than the DOT highback.

I too am curious about the number of states now requiring NYHB. I remember ten years ago it was just NY, OH, and Ill. Has that number grown?

Don't know anything about window limits.

And Rich, you are thinking of seat width, which is 39" standard (13" hip room per passenger if you'll recall). There are varations though...26" 30" 45" and maybe some others, does NY permit any of those?
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  12:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
And Rich, you are thinking of seat width, which is 39" standard (13" hip room per passenger if you'll recall). There are varations though...26" 30" 45" and maybe some others, does NY permit any of those?

About the height of the NY highbacks... for some reason I remember 39 inches high for the seatbacks themselves. Perhaps I am confusing the seatback height with the seat width... but just from sight, the seatbacks are at least thirty inches tall or so.

About the seat width variations, I've seen buses in New York with the 39" standard seat, the split 3/2 seating, and the single seats in lift buses. So, we allow them all.

Go to Top of Page

informtnBus

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  4:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"NY High Backs" measure 45" from the floor to the top of the seat back vs. 41" for a standard school bus seat.

The line referenced in IL specifications really doesn't have anything to do with seat back height. IL limits the opening of the windows to keep arms and heads inside the bus. The demarcation line is part of that specification along with window stops to prevent the window opening past a certaim point
Go to Top of Page

brian.whitta

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  5:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit brian.whitta's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ohio is one of the few that does mandate the high seat backs. If compartmentalization is to work, the higher seatback is a must-have. Besides, after driving for a few months, those "eyes" in the back of your head learn who is doing what without seeing them do it, right?!

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2023 :  08:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For common questions about school buses, check out our FAQ! https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/school-bus-faq
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000