New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PrestonBus

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  09:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's your protocol?

Do mechanics respond to the scene when there's a bus involved in an accident?
Or is it simply send a Rep from the company/ Front Office/ Management?

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
808 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  10:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We also send a mechanic
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  12:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Myself or the other Mechanic will go as fast as possible with out service truck. We also have the front office call police, superintendent, then start calling parents of involved children. The Director of Trans will meet at the scene as soon as possible.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  12:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do since there are very few of us full time staff.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  1:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are so many district/ operation sizes that it's hard to compare what we do. Myself, I'm the TD, maintenance man, secretary, etc. So, I guess the answer is "I send the who office". lol But seriously, if you are in a large operation I'd wager that your TD hasn't a clue about mechanical issues. That being said, if I was in charge of a large operation, I would, at least, want to send a person who is knowledgeable about mechanical issues so I wouldn't break something more when recovering the wreck. There's so much a good mechanic can bring to the table in situations like this.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Rich Michels

12 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2018 :  7:08:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to send a mechanic,,, even a minor fender bender can cause damage to put a bus out of service. We had a drunk t-bone a bus @ slow speed @ a 4-way stop, it hit the tires hard enough to break the centering pin on the leaf spring and slide the axle back 1 1/2" supervisor thought it was still safe to continue the route,,,,

Edited by - Rich Michels on 10/23/2018 7:12:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  05:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We send a mechanic with the service truck and another with a spare bus. The spare bus if not needed usually runs the rest of the route or the next half (two tier routing) as needed. The mechanic stays with the bus until the police are done and takes care of spills, towing and cleanup as needed. We also do traffic control, unless relieved by others in large messes.
Go to Top of Page

aaronthemech

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  09:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our protocol states that: The lead mechanic is the lead investigator for all accidents. That is as far as the district is concerned. So we always send a mechanic both to help however they can as well as take pics and measurements, talk to people ect.

-Aaron-
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  09:56:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We unless driving always go with our service truck go out to them after about 6 years ago we had a minor accident the driver said the paint wasn't even scratched. I got busy and forgot to go look and the bus went on routes with the exhaust caved up underneath first route complaining about bad fumes in the bus. So we go and check everything if we can its not worth the risk.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  2:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep, as the mechanic- I'm going out to check out the incident: both to check out my truck, and to give input into the investigation.
And, I will usually drive or arrange to have a second truck taken out. I've had similar situations to Rich Michels.

disclaimer: My FBC chassis aren't busses, they are trucks. My cargo is not children, so that may add/remove credit from my stance, lol
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2018 :  08:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We send the supervisor and a mechanic with a bus to help with flares, seating charts, and what ever needs done to help at the seen. Then we evaluate the damage. The mechanic will often times finish the route after evaluating the damaged bus if the driver needs to stay for reports.
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  07:36:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As Bwest stated above, scale of operation is very different between operations. Vehicle Maintenance Supervisor has always gone out on our accidents. In our operation, that person has always been the best suited in the determination of cost and cause.

Cost, because that is how it is determined if we call CHP or not with students on board and no injuries. Cause of accident for risk management and other insurance issues.

When a Transportation department does not utilize the expertise of staff, it is at their own peril. Just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.24 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000