Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 California Child Check installation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  09:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I am working on installing Child Checkmate systems in our buses and have a couple of questions for you California guys.
1. It seems like it is a little bit of a grey area as far a whether the system needs to be connected to the parking brake. Are you guys monitoring the parking brake? If so, are you adding a switch to the delivery side of the valve?
2. How are you monitoring the front entrance door? Do you use the stepwell light circuit? Add another door switch?
3. Where is the best place to tap into the horn circuit?

We have mostly Bluebird All American transits of all years and a couple of new Thomas transits.

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2018 :  10:28:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Horn part is easy, I just spliced it to the ground side of the horn relay. CCM has a schematic on their website you can download. I just got 2 new Thomas HDXs with the CA compliant setup but havent dug around to see how they did it yet. The local district here showed me what they did. bendix switch #284833 on the parking brake, and used mag switches for the doors that they sourced from a local security company. Seems to work well for them.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  07:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in California, the parking brake issue is as follows. In the context of the law, it states that the parking brake needs to be applied, doors closed, and then the ignition turned off, then you have up to 3 minutes to disarm the system at the rear of the bus.

On a quick read of the law, you would assume that the parking brake needs to be monitored, but that is not so. Setting the parking brake is what I call an operational direction given to the driver, but not a thing that needs to set off the horns and lights.

Child Check installers have fallen on chassis modification restrictions as a reason to not monitor the parking brake. I believe it gives them and out to be on the cheap.

They claim tying into the air brake line to monitor the parking system is not permissible. "Chassis Modification" thus needing manufacture approval.

I disagree, and so does my CHP inspectors. Everybody will have there own opinion on this issue, as I have had many, discussion with lots of other districts and the interpretation of the law.

Again, just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  10:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40ngone

Here in California, the parking brake issue is as follows. In the context of the law, it states that the parking brake needs to be applied, doors closed, and then the ignition turned off, then you have up to 3 minutes to disarm the system at the rear of the bus.

On a quick read of the law, you would assume that the parking brake needs to be monitored, but that is not so. Setting the parking brake is what I call an operational direction given to the driver, but not a thing that needs to set off the horns and lights.

Child Check installers have fallen on chassis modification restrictions as a reason to not monitor the parking brake. I believe it gives them and out to be on the cheap.

They claim tying into the air brake line to monitor the parking system is not permissible. "Chassis Modification" thus needing manufacture approval.

I disagree, and so does my CHP inspectors. Everybody will have there own opinion on this issue, as I have had many, discussion with lots of other districts and the interpretation of the law.

Again, just my opinion.

We have all factory installed child reminder systems here in Georgia and IC at least uses the parking brake idiot light switch wiring for the child reminder system.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2018 :  10:29:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the same way we would have hooked them up. Most vehicles already have a switch tied into the parking brake system. Either air brake or non-air brake, it is not a big issue.

I had advocated to hook them up, but to no avail.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000