SB-1269 CA Child Safety System
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2018 :  06:39:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On May 7, 2018, SB-1269 made it out of committee with 12 to 0 pass as amended vote. It should go to the floor for a full vote.

When or if passed, this will delay the Child Alert System implementation until the 2019-2020 start of school.

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2018 :  12:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this a California state bill?

US Army retired CMBT

Edited by - RonF on 05/08/2018 12:10:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2018 :  12:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update!
RonF-yes, this is for California
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  04:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New update. On May 8, they amended SB-1269. If it gets passed in its current writing, the starting date for Special needs buses stays the same, which is the start of the 2018-2019 school year. The change is that Non-Special needs buses are postponed for implementation by 6 months from the start of the 2018-2019 school year. Stay tuned
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  05:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to be Bill Clinton here but what is the definition of a "special needs bus"? I can tell you that every bus we have has "special needs" students on them. In our circle there is one definition of a special needs bus and then there's the political definition. I have been observing politicians long enough to know that they can and will do stuff like this to us. Further, if there's a chance that every bus in your fleet could be labeled special needs by a politician, it would happen in California.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  07:04:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completely agree with you Bwest. "MY" definition that I will be operating on is as follows.

Any Home to School bus that normally picks up at a common bus stop, that the kids must walk to is considered a non-special needs bus. Yes this bus may have children that have been "mainstreamed". I will not be splitting hairs over those distinctions.

Any bus that normally picks the child up door to door, is considered a Special Needs bus. That will be the biggest difference I will use to determine our priority.

Any bus that may not be clearly black and white would be moved up in the line of installation.

In the big picture, all this is just a starting point anyway. Once installed, all these starting dates don't matter anymore.

I too have been playing this game for sometime, and yes the political clowns can't seem to go from A to B without unneeded detours.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000