Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Parking brake wont release...pads stuck to drum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mmwalden

1 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  09:12:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit mmwalden's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone, first off Im super stoked to finally be posting here. Ive used this blog for the past couple weeks to get our 1991 International 3800 Bus road worthy.

Air system achieves 120 psi, with no leaks...
when parking brake released, air releases from can, push rod moves, slack adjuster cam moves....no release

I have tried shifting to drive and reverse....nothing
I chocked tires put bus in Neutral released park brake and beat on drums...nothing

One source told be to spray pb blaster on brake shoes....I dont think this is a good idea...??? I thought lubrication on pads and drum was a BIG no no, however for this case maybe its necessary

going to try pumping brakes hard...9 to 10 times...haven't tried that

Does anyone have any experience getting someone (tow-truck) to pull on the bus to get the rear wheels to break free? Any advice on this method would be great. I want to fully understand if this is possible and words of caution and or standard procedure prior to hiring a tow truck to yard on this beast.

I was thinking about caging the brakes...this insures that the brakes are in the release position right??? would this help at any point in my endavours?

HALP PLEASE...AND THANK YOU

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  05:33:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assuming the shoes are rusted to the drums, caging the brakes won't do anymore than releasing the parking brake valve does. I think I would chock the wheels, remove the backing plates and see if I could "persuade" the shoes to release.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  07:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Fastback said, remove the backing plates and have a look. Once they are off you may be able to move the shoe with a pry bar. Once you get them free I would replace the shoes, lub the cams and slack adjusters and check the pivots at the back of the shoes. They may be rusted in place.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  09:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep...you need to get to the back side of the shoes and pry or bang on them with something. If the s-cams are turning then it pretty much has to be the shoes rusted to the drums.
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  2:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iv'e ran into shoes being rusted and have had luck just putting the bus in reverse. It takes a bit of throttle but they have freed up. I have also seen shoes welded to the drum with only about 3000 miles on them. They were defected shoes and had to be broken off.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000