VGT another question ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
807 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  10:41:50 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a bus in the shop with a bad ICP . When I went to work on it I checked the VGT . It is stuck .It's pushed in and won't return Turbo is giving a full boost of pressure . What would happen or could happen if I leave it alone ?Since I have been here I have replaced 4 turbos in a 13 bus fleet . Would it be wise to just leave it alone since it is giving boost ? Thanks

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2016 :  04:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the vgt is stuck it will work like a really crappy waste gate turbo. You will have excessive egts. Depending on the turbo you can remove most of them and clean the carbon and crap off the unison ring. I would not recommend just leaving it
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2016 :  07:10:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vally, if you wouldn't mind, I'm doing an unscientific poll. Could you give me a year range, approximate mileage and approximate average cost of the turbo jobs you've done? I'm trying to get a sense of the repairs that are happening on newer (10 years old or less) buses. I'll likely post a new topic too.
Thanks

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  1:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can give you a tally of our VGT replacement if it helps I took over here a year ago and we have had 5 total out of our 40 unit fleet go bad we don't have the time to take them apart so we just swap them out they cost us around 1700.00 each and about 2 1/2 hours to swap

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  2:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I was after. Thanks for the information. So, you're saying you have 40 that have that turbo? If so, a little over 10% failure rate doesn't sound too awful to me.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
807 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  3:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have 5 Internationals . replaced 3 on engines with over 100,000 miles . Takes me about 21/2 hours at 1700 a piece
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  04:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Non warranty, we have replaced 11 out of roughly 100 buses.

We have also had several replaced under warranty. I cannot tell how many. We have roughly 300 buses currently under warranty with this turbo.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  06:02:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapa

Non warranty, we have replaced 11 out of roughly 100 buses.

We have also had several replaced under warranty. I cannot tell how many. We have roughly 300 buses currently under warranty with this turbo.

Wow! I'll bet it gets hectic around there if you have a recurring issue due to a poor design.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  06:50:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Wow! I'll bet it gets hectic around there if you have a recurring issue due to a poor design.

Yep. We were looking at getting 650 buses in here at one time over two days to do a 15 minute mod on our GPS units and there was talk about getting the highway patrol to shut down an exit on our downtown loop for the bus backup. They were talking about ten 2-man crews pulling two 10-hour days, having to pay 650 drivers for their time, plus what we'd have to pay to the HP and DOT for the interstate closure. We ended up waiting and doing it during summer maintenance.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  07:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapa

quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Yep. We were looking at getting 650 buses in here at one time over two days to do a 15 minute mod on our GPS units and there was talk about getting the highway patrol to shut down an exit on our downtown loop for the bus backup. They were talking about ten 2-man crews pulling two 10-hour days, having to pay 650 drivers for their time, plus what we'd have to pay to the HP and DOT for the interstate closure. We ended up waiting and doing it during summer maintenance.

OH MY GOODNESS!! I love hearing these stories! lol Because of the awesome country we live in. But mostly, it reminds me how much I like living where I do with only 17 units to take care of. I have a pretty big job with all the hats I wear but I don't have a headache like that under those hats. At least any headaches I can't take care of. lol Thanks for sharing!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000