New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  07:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning all! I want to throw some questions out there if y'all don't mind.

I'm working on a 95 B800, Cummins 6B, MT643, air brakes. 19,000 lbs rear axle.

Does anyone happen to know the part number for the following:

1. Idler pulley, 8-groove, mounts to bracket on right side of block. I'm convinced it is there simply to pi** me off.

2. Shift cable, column shift, w/ MT643

3. Modulator cable

I'm trying to take all the legwork out of the parts buying process because I just have a feeling that the Ford truck parts dealer is going to be clueless about this beast.

Next question: If you encounter 3030 standard stroke chambers that are shot, do you put standards back on or do you upgrade to long strokes?

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  10:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody care to chime in about the last question at least? Standard vs Long stroke...
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  10:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
biting on the last thing: why would you replace a part with a different kind of part? especially brakes.
engine stuff: get on cummins quickserve. its free and you can look up everything that went on that motor by the engine serial number.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  11:22:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never though about quickserve...good idea!

As for changing things, long strokes have proven to be better performers and allow more tolerance for abusive driving (less brake fade) and the longer stroke provides more leadway for out of adjustment brakes still stopping you. I don't like out of adjustment anything, buy sh** happens. Smart spec'ing includes long strokes because at least one model of bus still comes with the short ones!

I'd never go backwards, but this would be forwards. I need to verify I have clearance for the chambers and adjusters of course.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  1:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
youre welcome. thanks for the insight on the brake chamber thing.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2016 :  10:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any tips on finding out what rear shoes, drums and seals I need BEFORE I tear this apart in my barn and have it tied up for a week? They LOOK like 4515's to me and I'm going to pull the wheels and attempt to find a drum # in the rust.

I found a data tag on the axle, no brand name of course.
Quote:
B 3 320081862

AVC94041152

Helpful, eh? "AVC" makes me want to say Meritor (think Arvin Meritor) it does have meritor slacks all the way around.

Tracked down the cables...over $500. Tracked down the pulley...over $300...quickserve was useless for that, it's a Ford proprietary POS just like the cables.

Glad it's not my money is all I'll say.

I have a new hatred for Ford and the way they don't want ANY information available for the stuff they made.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000