CRS Child Reminder System
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2015 :  8:45:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our district recently purchased the CRS Electronics Child Reminder System for all our buses. Currently we are installing the first unit in a 2016 Blue Bird Micro on a 2016 E-450 Chassis. For the most part it has gone good but I noticed the bus does not have a buzzer at the back door which is extremely odd. (Every bus we have has a buzzer at the back door except this one). (we have a call into the bus dealer concerning this). We will be installing a seperate switch for the deactivation circuit at the back door instead of opening the rear door to deactivate.

The other issues are hooking up the door switch to the drivers door and the horn wires. As this is a new bus we don't plan on "Hacking" into the ford harness to accomplish this. We might just add an additional horn. The biggest issue we have is with CRS Electronics. Their Customer Service number is useless. We cannot leave a message since their mail box is full and no one answers the phone.

So we are wondering if anyone is using these Child Reminders from CRS and what issues and installation tips you might all have.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2015 :  03:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://crselectronics.com/support/index.php hope that helps at least somewhat.

I've watched their installation videos before...real hackwork. When I was demo'ing child check systems they wouldn't send me one as a sample, so they weren't considered...as such I can't comment much on the systems themselves, but the company stinks.
Go to Top of Page

Kid Grimy

12 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2015 :  03:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our fleet went through the same process (complete install of CRS on the fleet) back in 2004. I installed the CRS on buses from 1995 through 2004. After that we ordered the buses with factory installs. I had the same issues with CRS. They came onsite to train us and basically said that they weren't aware of how to install on all the different models that we had at the time. They asked me for feedback on all of the installs that I was going to do - train them. (I didn't give them anything) For me the installs was a learn as you go process. The systems were cheap (lowest bid) and still to this day will activate themselves without driver interaction. I installed CRS on everything from Thomas Vista to Blue Bird to Thomas on Thomas and several models of International. Transit and Conventional. Like I said I installed CRS on 95 through 04 so if you've got any concerns about the old stuff just let me know and I'll email you the specifics.

Kid Grimy
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2015 :  06:44:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CRS?
Can't remember shi*?
Seriously? hahaha
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2015 :  11:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite line from a video of theirs I will never forget...

"Jam it in there, don't worry about putting in a fuse" Yeah, A+ quality right there.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2015 :  05:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by second.flood

CRS?
Can't remember shi*?
Seriously? hahaha

I was thinking the same thing!^^ lol
We use Homebound systems. I have had some trouble with them but it ends up being a ground or something like that. I have had a couple "boxes" malfunction on me. They will normally send a replacement but I have new ones on the shelf. As for service, when I was first installing them they gave me the phone number of the engineer who developed it (he was retired) and he helped me immensely. I had to laugh, he emailed me and said "let me give you another number ..... that's my lake house". was a real nice fellow. I was just looking through some files and time has really gotten away from me, that was 13 years ago!!
Where has the last 22 years of my life gone? It's been fun in this business!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2015 :  5:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I would give you all an update on the CRS Electronic Child Reminder System. WE have got 4 buses with it installed. They appear to be working well as the drivers are trying to get use them. Got a 2016 Micro Bird and 3 IC, FE buses with them so far. Also it appears that CRS Electronics is possibly out of business as of the 9th of October. They defaulted on a loan and have laid off ALL of there employees. So there is no Tech support or any support for that matter. So we are on our own now. Going to be interesting when we get to the smaller buses and need to figure out the Arming and Deactivation Circuits. Oh well we will get-r-done. Also, ThomasBus24, Never saw that video. More than likely it was someone other than CRS's video. LOL

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  06:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSAT88xork4 2:30 in....yeah it may have an inline fuse but that does no good for the wire leading up to it! I've seen a bus burn...I tend to do things differently I guess.
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2015 :  10:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are Jamming the wire in to a terminal box. Pretty common with the older buses. Some of our older Thomas buses have similar connections available in the overhead compartments. With today's newer buses you cant just connect a wire like they did in the video. That is the challenges we are facing with this system and no tech support.. The video obviously very old. uploaded in 08 .

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000