School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Buy, Sell or Browse
 Enter Forum: Buy, Sell or Browse
 Any opinions on a 1986 Chevy diesel conventional?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guchwale

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  7:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guchwale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All right, I now know the 6's and 7.3 diesels are not as good as the DT360 or DT466.

Well I found a bus I like and drove today - everything works and it has an engine nobody has yet mentioned on the forum.

It is a Bluebird on a Chevy chassis with a Chevy 8.? turbo charged diesel. I don't know anyhting about this engine and need to know how it will be in the mountains.

I really like the bus and it is local - a big bonus. My wife even agreed I could buy it so long as the people on this forum didn't have bad things to say about the engine.

Sorry I don't have more info. but it seems everyone talks IHC but I have heard very little about the Chevy's.

Any info. will help.

Thanks

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  8:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would probably be a Detroit 8.2 which some will say ***** but I drove many Fords and Chevs equipped with these engines and other than going through more oil than most other engines I loved how much pep they had, even the non-turbo version.

They aren't bad with an automatic but are excellent when coupled to a 5 speed standard. It might be a little louder than some other diesels but that can be solved with soundproofing in the cowl area.

As for mountain use I'm not certain but someone else on here probably has some advice.

Good Luck.

JC
Go to Top of Page

Guchwale

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  8:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guchwale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. It does have a governor at 3000 RPM on the nose. Even shifting the automatic into a lower gear I couldn't get over 3000 RPM no matter which gear. Counting the shifts I believe it is a four speed automatic transmission.

How does the Detroit 8.2 rate in reliability and power to the DT's?

Would you own one?

Go to Top of Page

Bus11

United States
170 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  09:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Bus11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guchwale

Would you own one?

Yep!

We have one in our fleet, a 88 w/ 5spd stick. It's been a very good bus for us, nary a problem except for a turbo replacement 8-9 yrs. ago. Of course it does "seep" a bit of oil, and smokes some....
It's had the same driver since new (never hurts), and he doesn't want to let it go. I'm waiting for it to be retired, so I can repower my old Wayne, but it may be awhile! Ours is geared a bit low - about 62mph @3000rpm, but it will climb the passes around here w/ the 6B5.9Ts and keep the 466s in sight.

Since it already meets 3 of the most important criteria -
(You like it, it's for sale, AND your wife will let you buy it! ) - why not take it up to say - Estes and see how it does.
Hope this helps -
Marshall

Wandering around the mountains in a 95 Thomas/Ford -
Wishing for a C2 !!
Go to Top of Page

Guchwale

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  10:47:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guchwale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your input.

It was a very clean bus for only $1650. I went back this morning to buy it and it was already sold for cash at 7:30 AM. What luck, it had been there since August!

Still looking for a good ski club vehicle in Colorado - any suggestions are welcome.
Go to Top of Page

Bus11

United States
170 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  3:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Bus11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for your input.

It was a very clean bus for only $1650. I went back this morning to buy it and it was already sold for cash at 7:30 AM. What luck, it had been there since August!

Still looking for a good ski club vehicle in Colorado - any suggestions are welcome.

ARrrrrgggggggggggggg......

That's a shame, sounds like it was a pretty good buy. Out of curiosity - where did you find this one? I'm still hunting

Keep looking -

Marshall

Wandering around the mountains in a 95 Thomas/Ford -
Wishing for a C2 !!
Go to Top of Page

Guchwale

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2004 :  11:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guchwale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a guy in Denver who deals in buses. He only had two available when I was there early this week. He sold the one I wanted and now has a mid-80's Ford with a 6.6L diesel. Not sure but I guess this engine isn't great for mountains with a 60 passanger conventional.

I don't have his number on me now but look under the traderonline ads for buses and search by zip code. That will call up his ads and anyone else with a bus for sale in your area.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

John M. Keigher
Advanced Member

USA
441 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  06:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit John M. Keigher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

There is a guy in Denver who deals in buses. He only had two available when I was there early this week. He sold the one I wanted and now has a mid-80's Ford with a 6.6L diesel. Not sure but I guess this engine isn't great for mountains with a 60 passanger conventional.

I don't have his number on me now but look under the traderonline ads for buses and search by zip code. That will call up his ads and anyone else with a bus for sale in your area.

Good luck!

Have you looked at www.used-bus.com?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000