School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Buy, Sell or Browse
 Enter Forum: Buy, Sell or Browse
 is this bus good for long distance travel??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

newbietobus

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  1:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit newbietobus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey all it's me. So I have been looking at buses on ebay, and one that sounds like a good deal, currently at around $800, is a 1985 Chevy manufactured by Wayne with 4 speed transmission, air brakes, a 350 V8 engine, 66 passenger, 53,081 miles. Is this a diesel or a gas engine? Conventional or transit(and what does that mean, anyway??) Would this be a good model to convert into a biodiesel mobile home for travelling around the country in? If anyone has any advice, greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Liz

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  2:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It has a small block 350 gas engine. Conventional meaning it has a long nose on the front . The transits are flat fronts.
Chevy is a good chassis, and Wayne is a good body.
But the 350 chevy gas engine is a real dog in a large school bus. I would say not the best for driving around the country. I would say try to find a diesel your get better gas millage, longer engine life, and more power going up hills.
I have an 89 Chevy/ Blue Bird with the 366 gas big block and its a good engine, but its so bad on gas and doesnt do good going up hills.

Robert B.

Edited by - 78fordwayne on 11/22/2004 2:31:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  2:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chevy gasoline engine. Very common, still in production, parts readily available and any mechanic can work on it. It is a conventional, which means the engine is in front with a hood over it (as opposed to transit which has a flat nose with engine either front, middle or rear).

Biodiesel will only work with diesel engines. A blend of 80% regular diesel and 20% biodiesel is commonly used, mainly in fleet operations. It would be difficult to obtain on the road though, while 100% regular diesel would not be.

Fleet application for a newer technology such as biodiesel makes more sense, since their mechanics would receive training and they have the luxury of spare buses when there is a problem.

Since biodiesel is a commodity, its prices vary considerably throughout the year, and it is more expensive than diesel. I'd stay away from biodiesel until kinks are worked out and prices are competitive.

What size bus do you need? A 40' transit gives about 6 more feet of usable interior space than a 40' conventional. It is heavier (lower mpg) and maintenance is typically more expensive.

The 1985 bus you are looking at probably has at least 153,081 miles on it - or it had another engine dropped in 53,000 miles ago. A bus that old may have other problems, so be sure to have a truck or bus mechanic look at it before buying it.

To get the best bang for your buck, look for a conventional bus with an International chassis, DT466 diesel engine with an MT643 auto trans. Body won't matter much - they are all similar.

Another thought...why buy a worn out school bus that needs expensive conversion, when there are excellent older RVs out there at great prices - that need nothing.

Edited by - John Farr on 11/22/2004 2:31:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

newbietobus

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  4:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit newbietobus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, thanks to both of you for the advice. Well, John Farr, I would like as big a bus as I can get where it will still be an option for biodiesel conversion and for long distance travelling. I have been reading other posts and replies on these forums, and have read that transit is better than conventional for long distance - is this true? I am interested in a bus because they are more likely to have a diesel engine, which is necessary for the biodiesel conversion, which is an imporant part of our travelling plans. Complicated, but we are planning on designing a travelling biodiesel processing tank similar to the pictures of two shown here: http://www.appstate.edu/~wh33825/

In a way, this will make our fuel supply more self-sufficient and hopefully less expensive in the long run. I guess I have not considered an older RV because I was not sure whether they had diesel engines, plus we want a lot of space because we are going to be carting around a bunch of stuff, our whole life will be on this bus until we finally find the land and community we are looking for to settle down on. We're going to have a baby and its "accessories," clothes, our bed, bicycles, a yurt, camping gear, food, possibly a stove of some sort although not sure about that, a couple boxes of personal stuff, some books, hopefully my computer for wireless internet access, and if there's any room left - ourselves! This is a lot and perhaps we will have to pare stuff down and figure out how to tie stuff on the roof or whatnot. If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them!!

Our fantasy will come true I hope

Liz

Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2004 :  9:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Conventional (AKA Type C)--"Conventional" type school bus (normally what you see, with the hood).

Transit (AKA Type D)--sort of like a city "transit" bus, flat nosed, rectangular in shape from side profile.

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/

Edited by - SchoolBusFan on 11/22/2004 9:45:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  11:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some of the buses on eBay right now that I'd recommend:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6728&item=4505253067&rd=1 The BEST school bus EVER produced. Crown Coach buses are TANKS! Don't be turned off by the year, California operates hundreds of these that are 20+ years old and still perfect!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6728&item=4505865629&rd=1 Carpenter FEs are great buses... plus it has the International chassis with a DT466 engine! That's an awesome engine and has some serious power. If you can chew that seller down to $4,000-5,000 it'd be a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6728&item=4506751954&rd=1 A good friend of mine runs one of these on routes, and it's a good bus. 360 is a great engine, and can be serviced easily by International dealers, or any diesel mechanic.

Go to Top of Page

newbietobus

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  4:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit newbietobus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Rich

Thanks for the advice on the bus choices, I certainly am starting to get a feel for which type of bus I am looking for, and your reply is a tremendous help! I am not sure whether I can afford the first two recommendations you've made, my price range goes only as far as $2,500 I'd say, since I don't make much money to begin with and will need money left over to fix up the bus, convert the engine to biodiesel, get a biodiesel processing set-up put together for our travels, and fix up the bus for use as a mobile home. Not to mention the registration and insurance, which I am anticipating will not be cheap, since I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the bus registered as an RV, and have been told that insurance for commercial vehicles is typically more expensive. I have read several forum posts that recommend the auctions at 422 bus sales, and there is one coming up in Pennsylvania in April, which is relatively close to where I live (in Syracuse, NY right now). The only problems are:

1)having enough patience to wait that long, and
2)knowing what to bid on, since the auction doesn't give you much time to get advice on whether a bus is a good choice or not, it's all on the spot decision making.

But hopefully checking out buses on ebay and talking with you helpful and informative folks here on the forums will prepare me for an auction such as the 422. Thanks again for your input and advice!

Peace
Liz #001989

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  4:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I didn't realize you lived in NEW YORK!

Here's the site to check out: http://www.buscrazy.net

It's in Johnstown, doesn't get much closer! Check out the 1993 AmTran Genesis FE... sure it has some rust, but it has storage compartments and a great engine! Plus, the price is right.

Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  8:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just be careful when buying a NY state bus. I made the mistake of buying a rusty Ward that was in service in Troy NY and before that for Minerva Central School District which I take it is in upstate NY somewhere. Lots of salt on the roads up that way. I didn't think that the rust would be that big of a problem, but it is like terminal cancer and is just eating the bus away. Rusty pieces literally fall off the bottom of it as it sits; i find them on the ground when I go and move it. I put quite a bit of money into it before accepting that it is too far gone and just getting another bus. I'm sure Don Brown has some great buses but I've seen some rust buckets on that site too, and coming from someone who owns a rust bucket, they're a money pit and not worth the expense and headache.

-Dave

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000