New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  10:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is causing one of my 466E's to backfire,..I know what causes it, I guess why is it overfueling when the driver coast down this particular hill and when he applies the accelerator she will backfire.I cannot recreate it, but he insist it is a backfire he is mechanincly minded, No codes, runs great, no misses. Where do I start?

Its a 2001

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  10:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd have to duplicate that problem before I went too far trouble shooting it. Not calling the driver a liar, but how many have ever heard a diesel backfire? Me either. Spit back? Maybe, but not a Turbocharged engine. Ride with him, or behind him and see what it is that he's talking about. I'm betting it's another source/noise. Let us know what you find.
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  11:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard diesels backfire, it is usually related to improper ijnection pump timing, bent or burnt valves, or an overspun engine. The engine will not over fuel during a coast, the pumps don't work that way. Coasting down a hill it is possible to overspeed the engine and bend a valve (even with an automatic trans). Go for a ride with the driver and see what's going on.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  12:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definetley let you know, good point rswboe, this has manual trans, He says it blows a lot of BLACK smoke when it does. He says hes afraid of blowing the muffler out some morning. But does not do it all the time but, when it does same hill. Going to call the Int. dealer and see what they say.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  1:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Int. says they have had problems with the idle validation switch, and causing the occasional backfire along with stubbling. Reads 0 then 50 - 100% with no variation between will cause it, going to do some test with it. Cam sensor will do it to but would throw a code, no codes. Know more Monday.

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2004 :  09:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Idle Validation ok, now looking at cam sensor.

Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2004 :  10:20:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think the cam sensor should store a code. Even a soft code would show up in event history. I's suggest at this time to run a snapshot while the event occurs. You may need to have someone drive you around while you monitor the laptop. Have fun...

Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  11:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont have a laptop, would be nice for sure, I tried my darnest to recreate it but cant. I questioned his driving habits, found out he shifts down to fast to soon, overspeed maybe. Since then no more complaints, I also rechecked the idle validation again, not happy with all the parameters and I changed it out at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  09:47:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are you using? How are you checking idle validation?

Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  11:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diagnostic flow chart, with a fluke meter.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000