New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  1:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from the back-to-school meeting. Haven't seen the bus yet, but the key is a Ford key. So it can't be any newer than '89, which is the last year they bought conventionals. Probably a Wayne, but I don't know that yet either. Tomorrow morning 3 other rookies and I are going to go try to find our buses. They "think" mine is at Newington garage LOL.

They said all the buses have had the slick new Motorola radios (with a covert mike and panic button) installed. All, that is, except for the 30 or so buses they can't find! They gave us a list of the missing buses and told us if we see any of them to let them know LOL. I guess with 1600 buses, a few are bound to go missing at any given time.

The TD spoke and said they have the $$$ to replace 120 buses this year, so maybe I won't have to drive that old Fode for long....

A police detective spoke and showed slides for over an hour about gangs and that was very interesting stuff. I can now tell a MS-13 gangbanger from a south-side locos gangbanger. Sheesh!

My route sheets were not ready, so I still don't know what they are going to be. Supposed to get them tomorrow. I hope so, because I want to drive and memorize them by Tuesday!

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  2:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on getting a Ford!!! You should enjoy that bus for sure!! Contrary to what most people say, Fords are GREAT buses!
Greg
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  3:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC RE to an old 1989 Ford... sorry to hear of your loss!

Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  4:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
IC RE to an old 1989 Ford... sorry to hear of your loss!

Well, way to be positive!!! I KNEW YOU would be the one to respond to this Richard. Well IC I wish you lots of luck with your Ford, as I have previously said. It should prove well, as we have NEVER had major trouble with the Fords. I would consider the IC RE to a Ford an upgrade, I don't like IC REs AT ALL! Good Luck IC, you should enjoy this Ford!
Greg
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  4:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a loss... a change in model years like that results in less safety, performance, maintenance, and many other factors related to transportation. Most old school buses do not compare with any new school bus today in the above categories, except a few notable exceptions such as Crowns and Gilligs. THAT's why I call it a loss.

Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  5:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
R. Solano Posted - 09/01/2004 : 4:33:44 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is a loss... a change in model years like that results in less safety, performance, maintenance, and many other factors related to transportation. Most old school buses do not compare with any new school bus today in the above categories, except a few notable exceptions such as Crowns and Gilligs. THAT's why I call it a loss.

Rich quit being an asshole. I loss is when the bus is retired. Safety is NOT a benefactor towards anything, buses from the 1970's are just as safe as the buses of today if not safer. Performance has nothing to do with anything, all buses perform just alike, some do better though and some don't do well but overall they are all the same. I'd consider Crowns and Gilligs unsafe because majority of them are over 30 years of age by now. But lets not bash those body makers because those buses have shown us that they can last forever it seems like. But you are saying everything to make this Ford sound horrible for IC because you hate Fords - Let The Forum Know This - which makes you bash them to no end. IC you have nothing to worry about - cept the bus might be a little dirty from sitting. Trust me IC, Fords have a great repution to be safe and very dependable. Almost every school around us has at least two or more (we have 3) and no one complains about them like they do about their other buses (Internationals & Transits). We have drivers that would give up their newer buses just to drive our 94 Carpenter & two 97Thomas's (which are on route anyway). Just like Greg had said, the chassie it self is gona be an upgrade for sure - maybe not the body but you'll find out once ya find the bus hehe. Congratulations on getting a Ford so far and hope you enjoy every minute of it!!! I know I would over a transit

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~

Edited by - 98TomFord on 09/01/2004 5:18:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Busdude3
Top Member

USA
1178 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  5:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Busdude3 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mike, I couldn't agree with you more! Our Carpenter, Thomas, and Wayne Fords are absolutely great. Thats why they are on route. Just because you don't like Fords Rich, doesn't mean you can make them sound horrible. Believe me, I've rode and been on Ford buses before and I truthfully would consider them over an IC.

Edited by - Busdude3 on 09/01/2004 5:29:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  5:24:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa whoa whoa...... talk about a bunch of misconceptions.

Safety is not a benefactor in the school bus industry?

Buses from the 1970's are just as safe as today's buses?

All buses perform alike?

Crowns and Gilligs are unsafe because they are over 30... you just said that 70's buses are just as safe!

I don't like Fords - but I wouldn't even want anyone to go from a new bus, IC, Thomas, or Blue Bird, to an 1989 conventional. It's WRONG! Conventionals from back then really aren't suited to be running for 15+ years! They lack much of the safety equipment and technology that are available in today's buses, and so, are not nearly as safe. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Girardin_71
Top Member

Canada
626 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  5:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Girardin_71 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I rode on ford buses before and they are great. when i was in grade 1, 2 and 3 we had a ford wayne and they were not a problem. if you don't like ford that doesn't mean you can say they aren't safe. But they are as safe as the buses we have today.

Girardin/Blue-Bird are my favorite school buses

http://www.g71bdpt.net
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  5:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well... as far as safety do both buses have the same safety features such as roof exit(s), emergency windows,... ? If they do then they are probably both just as safe as long as the old Ford isnt all rusted out. My self Ive always prefered the older buses over new ones.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

busbrother

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  6:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to agree with Richard, but he is on the money. Today's buses are generally equipped with features such as fire retardent seats, ABS brakes, roof hatches, pushout windows, crossing arms, increased visibility with more sloped hoods, power steering, automatic transmissions, diesel engines (less combustable than gas), much more ergonomic driver areas (a comfortable driver is a safer driver), three step stepwells (as opposed to two step), etc., etc. The list goes on and on. The steel in older buses will eventually begin to fatigue. Rust will give way to weakened structural areas. Short story long (sorry), but newer vehicles are much safer than older.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  6:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much busbrother for the excellent post. You just laid down my exact point of view on the issue.

Blue-BirdTC/2000... I did not say they aren't as safe because they are Fords. It has to do with the year issues. To reiterate, I wouldnt want anybody to go to a new bus to an 89 conventional, whether a Ford, GM, or International. Doesn't matter!

Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  8:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks peoples! I really am glad it's a Ford because it could have been a GMC....blech! That 8.2 in them makes a lot of noise but goes nowhere. Of the conventionals we have I preferred the International/ AmTrans (I think they turn the sharpest), but they got rid of the last of them over the summer.

And thank you, Richard, it really IS a loss! It's the A/C I'll miss most.....it can get mighty hot in September around here. But such is the life of a first year driver. In a year or 2, if I'm a good boy, they'll upgrade me to a RE Thomas MVP. Then to a non A/C IC RE at about 4 years, and any time after 5 years service I can expect to be back in a IC RE w A/C.

Hey, only 4 years, eleven months and 29 days to go! In the meantime, do you think I should change my user name? LOL
Go to Top of Page

AmTran 241
Advanced Member

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  05:54:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I have had two busses sence I drove bus 241 It is just a pain to change the user name! Congradulations on the bus! I am driving a 1995 Wayne Ford this year after a 2003 IC RE last year so I feal your pain about getting an older bus, but Fords are great!

745 - 2005 IC RE
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  08:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey busfans, It ain't bad!! It's a Wayne with a white roof, 65 passenger. It's got 221,000 miles but has LOTS of new goodies:

New (rebuilt, I guess) engine. Some kind of an in-line 6 hole diesel with what looks like a turbo up on top.

New air compressor.

New steering box.

New exhaust system.

New 11R-22.5 Generals all the way around.

New stop arm and crossing thingie.

Don't know about the tranny, but she upshifts and downshifts very smoothly and positively.

I took the long way back so, I could cruise the Interstate, and she runs and handles real nice. She jumped right up to 55 and didn't seem to be workin hard.

Body has no dents or rust, and the paint is not badly oxidized. Looks real good for an '89. But wait til Tuesday.....the boss said I can bring her home for the long weekend and I'm gonna get out my jug of compound and my buffer and have at it. Followed by some good ole carnauba wax, of course. It ought to shine up real good.

More good news. Although school doesn't start til Tuesday, they asked me to drive orientation runs all day tomorrow. That's what they call taking kids for a look-see at the new schools they will attend starting Tuesday. KA-CHING!!! ($$$)
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  1:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey IC glad to see your loving the "new" Ford!! Even better news is that the body is mint for how old it is. Is this Ford a colum shifter or is a hand shifter. And is it air braked? And my guess is that the engine is a Cummins ISB (5.9) and all ISB's are turbo (or someone told me...). Extra money is always a plus too. Hopefully she polishes up also when ya take her home, give her some classGlad your lovin her!!

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  1:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow, IC. You really did luck out in not getting on of the GMCs/Chevrolets the county has. The Fords are really good buses. I even saw one ford running around having been retrofitted with a CNG engine, but I think there is only one ford like that in the county. The engine certainly is a Cummins ISB (or whatever it was called back then) and it has a hand shifter (not collumn). Ive never seen a Type C bus in VA with a colum shifter in VA. All buses in Fairfax county have Air Brakes and auto trannys. Good luck with your new bus!

=
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  2:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats IC!!! I'm sure you will be very happy with your Ford. Personally I like the styling of the Fords. I hope you have a good first year of having a route.

Edited by - Cody on 09/02/2004 2:31:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2004 :  5:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for the good words, friends!

BusFreak: I've seen quite a few buses with those blue CNG decals on them, including some Thomas transits. I've asked several people (mechanics, supervisors, etc)about them and they said none of those buses still run on CNG. They were just too undependable.

Personally, I would question using an explosive gas to fuel a school bus. What if the tank ruptures in a wreck? Diesel is smelly and dirty and all, but a spark won't ignite the stuff.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000