Enter Forum: Management/Operations
 How do you get the job YOU want?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eckbird

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2004 :  4:21:20 PM  Show Profile  Send eckbird a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok I have graduated from a two year diesel tech school nad have a vast knowledge of school bus. I have done school board reports, driver surveys and have an abundant contact list to keep up on the new and old technologies. I would love to work in sales, I enjoy walking into a bus garage and just asking drivers about their bus, like and dislikes, and finding out whats going on with the fleet and the mechanics concerns. I have applied with several companies and have no luck even gettin them to reply to a voicemail.
SO WHAT IS THE TRICKS OF THE TRADES? How do I get into a company where I can use my talents and enjoy my work with buses?
I'm starting to get desperate!

YardBird
Advanced Member

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2004 :  8:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd hafta say "Get there FIRST."

Sure! I'll pick your kid up closer to the house... Widen your front door!

"I LOOOOOVE MY UNION!"
Go to Top of Page

SOS
Advanced Member

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  07:11:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
eckbird, When you leave a voice mail who do you leave it for? Are you getting through to the top dog in personnel/human resources? Sometimes submitting a resume with a letter of interest is better than cold calling on the phone. This is one surefire way of "getting there first", as Yardbird suggested. First off call the company and get the name of the person who makes hiring decisions, (along with the correct spelling of their name). Address your cover letter and envelope directly to this person, not to "to whom it may concern or Mr. John Doe". In your cover letter be sure to mention that you realize they may not be presently hiring for the position you are interested in, (if that is the case). Ask for a brief meeting, (not necessarily an interview, and at their convenience of course), to allow you to become acquainted with their organization. Then in the event that they do have an opening in the future you will already have the so very important first impression out of the way. In your cover letter specify a time when you will call them and then follow through with the call. Don't leave them an opening for a don't call us we'll call you situation. Usually a week to ten days is sufficient time to allow them to review your resume and credentials. If they do not respond when you call or refuse to meet with you, you probably don't want to work for them anyway.

If you are not an expert resume/cover letter producer seek out some one who can help you assemble a knock em' dead resume. Send copies to all of the companies you want to approach. Be sure you include a cover letter that reinforces the positives listed on your resume as well as your desire to work for a particular company. Do your homework on the company and mention some of its attributes in your cover letter. If you know anyone who is currently employed with the company talk to them about hiring procedures and ask permission to use their name in your cover letter. i.e.: "Mr. so and so suggested I contact you concerning a current/future position in your sales department."

You might also consider asking your instructors at the diesel tech school that you attended for letters of recommendation. What about the school board members you developed reports for? Ask them for letters of recommendation as well. Do not send copies of these letters with your resume. List the letters of recommendation, "as available upon request", just like you would work references. Take them with you along with a list of your references to your first face to face meeting. Offer these documents to the person you meet with.

If for what ever reason, (if you need help), you can't get help from someone with your resume go to your states department of labor web page. Here in Georgia, http://www.careeronestop.org/jobseeker/jobseekers.asp they have an abundance of information on resume writing and several samples of resumes and cover letters. They list many tips for getting your foot in the door for employment, the most important is the presentation of your resume and cover letter followed by that all important first face to face contact.

I hope this helps you at least a litte and Good Luck with your job search.

You gotta Love em' to Carry em'

Edited by - SOS on 06/27/2004 07:40:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

eckbird

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  09:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Send eckbird a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well thank you SOS for the advice, I have created a resume and have 20 letters of rec, and I use them on serveral occasions. I submit my resume first then I wait a week 5-7 days to call back and ask if they may be any questions regarding my resume, then if there is I answer them and/or submit usually 2-3 copies of my letters.
I have called the regional managers and have been forwarded to the lower management on several occasions.

I have even asked to use transportation directors permission to use them as a reference, esp with the companies that can't seem to make a sale with them. My local director, is currently buying thomas buses simply due to the fact that he refuses to deal the reps from blue bird, but would rather have the birds. He stated when I asked to use his reference; only if you come and sell me my buses.
I can push a product and back it with no problem but get my foot smashed in the door every time i try to get near the sales departments.

I know the products, and what they lack and strive in. Like I said before I enjoy walking into a bus garage and just asking drivers about their bus, like and dislikes, and finding out whats going on with the fleet and the mechanics concerns.

But I can't seem ot find a job that allows me to do so.
If you have any advice on what i need to do to get farther into the door please help me. I'd be very greatful.
Go to Top of Page

SOS
Advanced Member

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  03:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
eckbird, I meant no offense with my previous post. Your original post kind of sounded like you were making calls only, my sincerest of apologies. I know of no other reasonable approach to getting your foot in the door, without it getting slammed shut with your first step.
You sound confident in your abilities and knowledge of the equipment which should be a first great impression for anyone looking to hire. Be persistent in your search and don't let the ignorant get you down. Have faith and it will all work out hopefully sooner rather than later. Good luck with your venture.

You gotta Love em' to Carry em'
Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  03:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Networking helps. Your talking to people in the industry will help you to find out who is hiring and which person is in charge of human resources (I have always hated that term, it makes me think of slavery!)and just be persistent. If you find a place you think you would like to work just keep going back and talking to them. Eventually they will hire you just to shut you up.

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!
Go to Top of Page

eckbird

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2004 :  08:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Send eckbird a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
SOS no offense was taken, but a lot of advice was noted, thank you for your help. If you ever hear of a position opening let me know and I'll kep trying for the jobs I want

Mlkdrives41
I've used that approach in other jobs or to work the system in school. Bug em till they give in or change to what you want, I guess that could always be an option but i think the approach may be a bit negative.
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  3:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recommend a book by Richard Bolles called "What Color is Your Parachute." It suggests a different, less obvious, less threatening to the employer, approach to job search. Also check www.jist.com for that and other job search material.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000