Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 1997 bluebird int
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robzilla

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  12:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit robzilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi , I need help with this one....

this bus has never givin me any problems.
Well now all of a sudden it will quit while they are driving , It will just shut down...Like the fuel is shut off ..then after it is off for a while it will start again, and usually run just fine...

I have replaced the fuel pump relay, I have pulled the neg bat cable to reset computer, I know that aint right but Im in a poor hick town and thats how we do things, lol.

Any advise before I send it out to pasture?

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  1:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had this problem on a few buses and it turned out to be the cam position sensor. I'm not sure what engine you have or if it has electronic controls or not, but you might check it out if you have one.
Go to Top of Page

robzilla

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  2:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit robzilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the engine is a DT-466 It has a computer. is there a test I can run on the cam position indicator, such as with a dig meter or analog meter?

oh and where is the cam position indicator located?
thnaks
Go to Top of Page

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  8:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cam sensor is located on the front of the engine (forward of the cam gear)near the water pump(passenger side). It has a single bolt holding it in place and a harness plugged into it. You can try to retrive any fault codes by turning the key to the run(eng. off)position and pushing the button located under the dash to the right of the steering column. Codes are flashed using a red and an amber dash warning light. A single red flash will seperate each code, two red flashes seperate the active faults from the inactive faults. The amber light flashes out the 3 digit code(s). You most likely will see "red"-"amber"-"amber"-"amber"-"red"-"red" (a 111 indicates no active faults)and then your inactive faults such as "amber-amber""amber-amber""amber-amber""red" a 222 code or "amber-amber-amber""amber-amber-amber-amber""amber-amber-amber""red" a 343 code. 3 red flashes end the process. You will likely see KAM memory faults(224&615,I belive) due to your disconnecting of the batteries. If you have extended warranty, the sensor may still be covered. It is easy to install and can be replaced faster than it takes to drive to your dealer. Have paper and pen ready when checking codes. Refer to archived post for more infohttp://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5361
Go to Top of Page

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  8:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was wondering what relay you replaced? The fuel pump is mechanical and does not use a relay as far as I know.
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  3:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the engine is mechanical (a DT-466 NOT a DT-466E)I would drop the fuel tank and remove the obstruction from the pickup. May be a shop rag, etc. getting caught up in the line/pick shutting it off. Letting it sit would allow the foreign object to settle back into the tank and the bus would run normally for a time. That's my best guess.
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

robzilla

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  05:05:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit robzilla's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will be checking out these things today , I will let yall know where I end up...I and my super are very grateful for the help...
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2004 :  06:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If it quits, and there are no codes, there is a 90% chance it's the Cam Sensor (CMP). About the only was to KNOW for sure, is if it stalls, or won't start, to connect a scan tool and chack cranking RPM. If you get zero, or a very low number (20 RPM) then it's the CMP. Otherwise, you are just guessing. And with a no start/stall, you are pretty much guessing unless you have a scan tool connected WHEN it does this anyway. The CMP is VERY common, probabally the most common cause aside from running out of fuel.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000