Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  7:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Cummins 5.9, from 1989.

Right below the Air Fuel Control Line, there is a small rubber hose that attaches to the injector pump by just squeezing over an opening about 1/4 in diameter. It is obviously a fuel line, because it is broken in half and fuel is spewing out.

Any idea what this line is called? I hate to call cummins and try to describe what and where things are in order to get the part.

It is basically just rubber. But it does screw into the pump directly below the air fuel control line.

busmonkey

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  11:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of these lines are replacable with regular fuel line that can be purchased from your local auto parts store.

busmonkey
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  7:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoops, I found my mistake this morning.

The line in question was the return fuel line. It had broken around where the line and banjo fitting meet.

I'd rather not replace anything with something that isn't the proper part. I have found that you don't put band-aids on stuff, you fix it right the first time around.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Edited by - baptistbusman on 04/19/2004 7:03:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  09:39:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Use 3/8" fuel hose. Gates makes it, or you can pick up some at any good auto parts store. Be sure the hose is fuel-rated. vaccume hose doesn't cut it.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

busmonkey

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  3:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting a 3/8 fuel line from your local auto parts is not fixing it with band-aids, this is what you will get by purchasing it from Cummins its your choice!

busmonkey
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  7:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you.

But what your telling me is that I should go to auto zone, and buy a rubber fuel line to replace a steel-return fuel line that has 2 special fittings on each side. And plus this line will be mounted almost directly on the side of the engine block. That to me sounds silly.

There is absolutely no way that would work. There's no way in the world I could even cut the fuel line I have and add rubber hose to it, the leak is where the banjo fitting meets up with the line itself.

I must say I appreciate your help 100%, and I had no disrespect at all in that last post.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

WI Handy Bus

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  7:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You probably either have a bad sealing washer on the banjo fitting(it actually uses two) or the banjo fitting itself is cracked. Sealing washers are cheap enough to purchase, they should not be more than a few bucks for some new ones. If the banjo fitting is cracked it will have to be replaced, however this should not be very expensive either.
If the steel part of the line is cracked/broken far enough down you can use a tubing cutter available at any hardware/automotive store to cut the line and splice in a section of fuel rated rubber hose. If you are worried about security use two clamps on each end of the splice, placed next to each other. The return line is not under high pressure so normal hose and clamps will work.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  10:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Baptistbusman, No! Do not patch it if at all possilbe. You are thinking correctly. Go to Cummins and by a replacement steel line. these are special lines that will withstand the engine vibrations, pulsations, etc. from a diesel engine. I have in an emergency silver soldered a leak but only temporarily. Buying the correct part for the engine will be your best bet. You won't have to bend the line to make it fit. It will come ready to install. You need to buy the sealing o'rings or washers separately that go on the banjo fitting too. They won't come with the line. This will save you headaches down the road. If it were the rubber line you cold replace it with fuel hose meeting the same pressure requirements but do not replace a steel line with a rubber hose or a steel fuel line from the auto parts store. I do not desire to contradict anyone but from my experience this is the way to go.
Brad

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

busmonkey

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  11:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I did not realize you were talking about the steel return line. Yes definatly I would get that from cummins. Is the line completly broken or as the other person stated is it just the banjo fittings?

busmonkey
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  2:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the line has a crack in it right by the end where the banjo fitting meets the line itself.

Thanks you for all the help, don't mean to be a pain.

Go to Top of Page

WI Handy Bus

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  07:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Barker is correct, if the line is cracked that close to the end fitting, it should be replaced. Cummins should have this or be able to procure it in short order. Just ask for a steel fuel return line from the injection pump, and be sure to get the sealing washers too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000