Bus Markings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

William Johnston

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  5:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which do you like to use best for you bus markings, Decals or Painted. Do they last the life of your paint job. If not how many years do you get.
William

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  7:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We've used painted since day 1, most have lasted the entire in service life of the bus which has been anywhere from 12 to in a few cases 20 years. These vary from Blue-Bird, Superior, Thomas, and Wayne. As far as I know they have all been painted on by the body manufacturer and not the dealer.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  04:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know all the Mfgs today use decals only and none still paint the district name, etc anymore. I've been to all the "top three" plants and havn't seen any painted "School Bus" markings in many years. The Mfg. process today wouldn't allow the drying time that the paint would need and the decals don't require it. The buses can go right outside, if needed, and not be delayed due to drying time or painting time.
If Thomas 86a is still getting painted on School Bus I.D. I would be surprised if it came from the MFG., but anything is possible in this industry. They cater to many different needs.
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  7:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Those were the older buses, I didn't complete the post by saying that for some odd reason. All of our newer buses have the manufacturers standard and they are holding up as well. We have numbering on the rear near the bottom (gets lots of dirt/salt) and we have them up near the roof for numbering as well. All seem to be doing just fine.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

William Johnston

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  3:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your input.
William
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000