New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2004 :  8:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several buses with 5.9 Cummins, 1989 and 1990 models, and I need to buy a manuel for them.

I noticed serval manuals for the 5.9 of those years, but they have different series letters, such as B Series and C Series. How do I know what I have?

And also, does anyone have a guestimate on how much one of those manuals cost?

Thanks.

Edited by - baptistbusman on 04/06/2004 8:14:07 PM

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2004 :  8:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 5.9 is the Cummins ISB, so it is the B Series. The C Series is the Cummins 8.3, called the ISC.

I have seen these on eBay in the past, but perhaps a local Cummins dealer would have them on hand.

Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2004 :  09:27:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Make SURE you get a manual that is at least AS NEW, if not newer than the engine(s) you have. Cummins has updated MANY service procedures over time, and the ones printed in the older manuals are INCORRECT, or at least out-of-date.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

Carlton

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  08:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carlton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just purchased one specifications and one parts
maunal from Cummins Gateway in Sikeston, Mo.-----
list price for both was approx. $90.00----They let
me have them "wholesale" for approx. $74.00----
they had to order them---took about 5 days.
Carlton S.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2004 :  10:34:09 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Order the correct manual by serial number of the engines you have or CPL numbers. These numbers are located on the front left corner of the gear case housing. Also, sign up with your nearest Cummins Dealership to receive 'Service Parts Topics'. Theses are quarterly mailings that come to you free of charge listing all updates and service bulletins for all Cummins products. You simply schroll through the index, locate the engine class that meets your engine and go to the applicable service bulletin. They are organized in sections ie, fuel system, engine block, cylinder head, etc. I only keep the bulletins that apply to my engines. These also list new service publications as they come out. Complete manual sets can be expensive and include the Troubleshooting and Repair Manual, Alternative Repair Manual, Specifications Manual, Shop Manual, Holset Compressor manual and Operations and Maintenance Manual. You will have the Series B, 5.9 engine. The ISB, although basically similar is not the same engine but rather the electronic version of the 'B'series 5.9. Don't confuse the two.
Brad

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000