Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Isellbuses
Top Member

Canada
828 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  07:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone using a C2 in the field now? It would be interesting to see how they speced the bus and maybe get some pictures
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  09:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThomasBuilt B24U

Just a few more things. I think the plastic windows may have also been a reference to the area between the windows where the roof bows run. There is a plastic casing over a steel frame, which may give a false impression as a plastic window frame.

Okay so there is plastic casing over the steel frame? So the question is how will the emergency window exit will be setup? In my head I'm thinking if the plastic is casing over the steel frame, than it won't leave a clear ecape (God forbid) if a bus roll over on it side and needy to exiting the emergency window?

quote:

As for the doors, the bus Jason took pictures of actually had the HDX full pane door fabricated into it. The other had a door more like the C2 will have. The actual door will curve like the exterior of the C2 and give about a 31-32" clear opening. And it will use a gliding device like on the current emergency door to open.

Why won't Thomas just use the HDX full pane door on all the buses?

Is MD3060 is the only way you can pushbutton shift?

Well it just about all my questions. C2 is really a nice bus that drivers, and other people in the transportation field have ever seen. I just think people just need to be more educated about the C2. All in All C2 is a "FIRST CLASS BUS"

~Georgia Drivers Together We Fly High~
Go to Top of Page

C24U
Advanced Member

United States
220 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  10:36:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I'm not mistaken (don't take it to the bank in other words) I believe that the pushout windows will be able to be removed entirely? If I'm wrong, I'll surely hear about it. The C2 door is a good design that is curved like the side of the bus is, and it also uses a new hinge design (11 gauge stainless steel by the way) that gets the door fully out of the door frame. About a 31" opening.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  11:52:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If I'm not mistaken (don't take it to the bank in other words) I believe that the pushout windows will be able to be removed entirely? If I'm wrong, I'll surely hear about it. The C2 door is a good design that is curved like the side of the bus is, and it also uses a new hinge design (11 gauge stainless steel by the way) that gets the door fully out of the door frame. About a 31" opening.

I guess we have to wait and see So what about the pushbutton shift?

Go to Top of Page

C24U
Advanced Member

United States
220 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  12:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pushout windows swing out like the current pushout windows do. However, since the side windows are 3" taller and 1" wider, then you will already have more of a clear opening than currently available. I believe the pushbutton shift will only be available with the MD3060 as it is now.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  1:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The pushout windows swing out like the current pushout windows do. However, since the side windows are 3" taller and 1" wider, then you will already have more of a clear opening than currently available.

Okay, but what about the plastic casing over the steel frame? if the plastic casing is covering the steel frame which lead me to think, ok the exit handle is part of the steel frame if I'm not mistake? So when push the window out the plastic casing is still there which will block the opeing of exiting the window. I'm sorry, I'm a type of guy that belive in safety first. Not saying the C2 is not safe, just trying to gain a better understanding about the C2 window setup. I do thank you ThomasBuilt24u for helping understand the setup and awering my never ending question!!!

Go to Top of Page

busbiz

7 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  1:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas00 1) a push out window must pass a federal test for unobscured exit area or it cannot be counted as an emergency exit
2)There wont be anything obscuring the exit of the push out windows. Surely you wouldn't think Thomas Bus would produce a product with larger windows and have an inferior push out window do you
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  2:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
busbiz, I was just asking questions and that what humans do. Yes I'm aware of the federal testing. If you had looked at previus posts about the windows and how they are built, it would too rise some question your head about something. No I don't think Thomas would produce anything danger to inferior with their proudcts and the safety of their buses for that matter.

Go to Top of Page

C24U
Advanced Member

United States
220 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  12:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas00,
You'll just have to see it. The C2 will have a full length bar across the bottom of the window to release it. The plastic is only between the windows. I don't know how to explain it all. Sorry. Just believe me, it's a nice size opening.
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  12:57:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thomas00,
You'll just have to see it. The C2 will have a full length bar across the bottom of the window to release it. The plastic is only between the windows. I don't know how to explain it all. Sorry. Just believe me, it's a nice size opening.

sounds very similar to the Over the road coaches push out windows ( prevost, mci etc ). The all have a long aluminum bar that contours the bottom lip of the sash, and if you lift that up, you can release the window. I really like how this new bus is sharing similar features with the large coach buses, even things like a more advanced service door hinge and flatter roof.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  5:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't want to see that bus here if you can't even spec it for Ohio is all I'm gona say - no manual door and no Ohio spec's - no thanks!

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  5:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
People this really should not be a hard concept this bus is going to meet Ohio specs or else Ohio isn't going to allow it to go into service, if you are concerned about the 3 inches of black around the warning lights Thomas either has something planned for this or has already had the C2 accepted by your state the way it is, same with the other specs.

Manual doors are slowly but surely becoming a thing of the past it's called progress.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

CrownBus1
Top Member

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  08:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Overall, I really like the C2. About the only complaint I have is that the body is a little too boxy for me, but whatever.

Bus 1
1985 Crown
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  10:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The black isn't a big deal. First of all, the lights are bright enough that the black probably won't be needed anymore. And, if you realyl want it, the way most specs I have seen regarding black eyes around the lights, if there is not 3 inches of space around the lights, then the area immediately behind it would have the three inches. In that case you could paint it or apply a decal where it curves around the side and up the roof of the bus. My bus is like that...I think most older Thomases are. As for the visors, once again the lights will be so bright they shouldn't require it. We haven't spec'd visors since 1999 and our lights are seen just fine. But, if you really want them, I'm sure they could make some simple squared off, 3M style visors for the C2. I'm really excited about this luxury school coach.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  11:16:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about this visor thing. What if the warning lights were mounted a few inches behind the lexan face. If this were the case, isnt this considered built in visors? I guess one could argue that if you set back the lights, it may be hard to see them flashing from an angle, but I think this would have to be tested for those results, plus like many have said, they will be pretty bright anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  4:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Warning lamp visors also prevent snow from covering the warning lamp lenses. I would think the snow would "stick" to the warning light lenses. However, none of our buses are without visors, so maybe others can shed light on that subject.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  4:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
With the warning lamps being flat and flush I don't think that will happen. On our buses without visors, the wet sticky snow can accumulate on the warning lamps, but only on the top half in a crescent. It blows off in time and isn't a big deal. Personally I do like the looks of having visors, but I'm not opposed to not having them.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  4:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I prefer having the warning lamp visors, but I also kind of like the look of buses without the warning lamp visors. At first I didn't, but I got used to it after that!
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  5:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We never had visors on our Waynes and snow did build up on the top parts of the lights but it was never really a major problem, we have had visors on the Blue Birds and Thomas Builts just because they certainly can't hurt anything. With these lights being flush snow won't be able to build on the top, anything that does stick to the front of the lights would be able to do that on the old design as well, visors don't protect the front of lights.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  11:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay now I understand how the emergecny windows going to work!!! I think other reasoning why I like the C2 is because you can change the switches around. I think that was good idea! For once the driver's can place the switches where he/she feels best fit them. I can tell you guys yesterday I had a base ball game. I drove one of the district 2004 IC, it was getting dark out side and the bus have very dark tinted windows. So I was looking for the driver's dome light switch, so after 15 min in the dark looking of the switch. I call one driver that drive same district with me to help me find the switch. So I think that was good idea from Thomas once again!

Go to Top of Page

Isellbuses
Top Member

Canada
828 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  08:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny thing about warning lamp visors, I find they actually hold in the snow, or in most cases a mixture of snow, sand and salt. It should be cleaner if not alot easier to clean.
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  2:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Manual doors are slowly but surely becoming a thing of the past it's called progress.

Hmmm... yes, but in which direction are we progressing? We can drive and drive and drive in the name of moving forward but we may not end up anywhere that we want to be.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

sesalesman

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  08:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just from talking to some of the drivers/supervisors at my schools, the manual doors lead to shoulder and elbow problems that eventually take a toll on drivers and, as a result, the schools.
Just curious though 98TomFord, why would you prefer a manual door?
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2004 :  3:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahh, multiplexing. That sounds to me like "dealer serviceable only", or at the very least, that it'll cost you PLENTY for the hardware, software and training to do it in house.

Just plain stupid.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2004 :  5:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If I can't have a manual door on it, then you can forget me driving one of them unless I bought it and was using it for personal use.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

C24U
Advanced Member

United States
220 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2004 :  6:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ModMech, after reading that post, I was wondering what the "Mod" and "Mech" stand for? Sounds like you don't want things to change from the way they are now. Change isn't always bad. I know the electrical in my '00 Impala is far more reliable than in my '66 Mustang. Thankfully, in the automotive world (outside of buses that is) things like spade terminals and butt connectors are pretty much going by the wayside, and being replaced by mated plugs and harnesses and the like. Think about how many electrical problems you see on modern cars. Shorts and such are getting fewer and farther in between. Amen to that.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2004 :  10:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Thomasbuilt B24U how does the C2 drive? Is it quited and smooth? Will the black around the windows be stander on the the C2 buses? Also when will school district be able to bid on the C2 buses?

Edited by - Thomas00 on 04/03/2004 10:20:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2004 :  07:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mod = Modular, Mech = Mechanic.

I'm not saying there have not been DRAMATIC improvements is build and component quality over time, there have been and it continues today. What I am frusterated with is the OE's continual attempts to get more and more information and service into the dealerships by adding completely unnecessary levels of complexity to vehicle systems. For example, you cant get ANY trans or multiplex codes, or even engine codes from a vehicle with the info contained in the owner's manuals, and the only codes you can get if you have a factory service manual are engine codes. So you are FORCED to either pony up for THOUSANDS of dollars worth of hardware and software to self-diagnose, or to take it to the stealership. That's just WRONG.

Go to Top of Page

sesalesman

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  06:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I can't speak for ThomasBuiltB24U, but I drove the C2 as well and I can say it was a very nice, quiet, smooth ride. Visibility was (of course) great. Turning radius was excellent. I think it actually turns better than my Stratus. The MBE provided the quiet power that is expected from it. Driver ergonomics and space was wonderful...
92FrdCarp#11, you also prefer a manual door? May I ask why? Not trying to pick on you, just curious about why some people prefer manual doors over electric/air doors...
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  07:05:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was wondering that too. AFter years of drivingunits with a manual door, my shoulder REALLY appreciates electric/air doors!

Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  7:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sesalesman

Well, I can't speak for ThomasBuiltB24U, but I drove the C2 as well and I can say it was a very nice, quiet, smooth ride. Visibility was (of course) great. Turning radius was excellent. I think it actually turns better than my Stratus. The MBE provided the quiet power that is expected from it. Driver ergonomics and space was wonderful...
92FrdCarp#11, you also prefer a manual door? May I ask why? Not trying to pick on you, just curious about why some people prefer manual doors over electric/air doors...

I am only a bus rider and to me you have total control of the door with a manual door. My bus driver doesn't like electric/air doors. She says that they are dangerous and that they are fading out some, but I have thought about telling her about this site and so she could read about some of the stuff on here. Sorry to get off topic some.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2004 :  8:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How the hell is a powered door DANGEROUS?! That is a bunch of bull! Transit buses have been using powered doors for decades, since they are so much easier for the driver. Manual doors can be distracting, and besides, they can lead to repeatitive-stress injuries.

Powered doors all the way..... manual doors are becoming a thing of the past on large school buses. You'll never see them again on a IC or Thomas.

Go to Top of Page

BPS_Driver
Advanced Member

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2004 :  05:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Send BPS_Driver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's not true. I know many districts that have the manual doors and that will continue to order them.

Some districts have taken the right attitude when ordering buses and will only have it their way- just like Burger King. I am the customer with money. Meet my needs and wants.

23 Million safe deliveries a day by all of us
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2004 :  05:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Richard,
I had ask that question at the trade show in Nov. and IC will offer a manual door if you want it.

Your Child's Safety is Our Business

Edited by - BusBoy on 04/06/2004 05:41:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2004 :  10:12:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you serious, Kevin?! I wonder where they will put it!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000