New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

whe8913
Advanced Member

United States
301 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  3:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw 2 Thomas Saf-T-Liner HDXs on the interstate in Longview, Texas where I live. They both had "Clark County School District" on them, and they both had Georgia plates. I believe that one of the buses numbers was 24912. If these are someone's district's buses, then you've got some GREAT looking buses.

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  4:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Isn't Georgia Blue Bird Country?

"America's #1 Conventional School Bus- Thomas/International."
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  4:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew there was a Clark County School District in Las Vegas, but I didn't realize there was also one in Georgia — using the same equipment, too! Small world.

Crown Supercoach - The “Royalty” of Pupil Transportation
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  4:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would Georgia school buses be all the way in Texas??? Maybe they were being delivered to Nevada... it just doesn't sound right. Also, the district in Georgia is Clarke county... so maybe it was just a coincidence? Perhaps the plates are just temporary delievery plates?

---

School Bus Photos and Links: http://www.geocities.com/bluebird4eversbf

Go to Top of Page

International_02

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  4:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually it isnt when i was down there this summer in libertey county they had a about half a fleet of ic's and the rest prettey much bluebird.

International America's largest commercial Truck,School Bus,diesel engine Producer
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  5:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I saw 2 Thomas Saf-T-Liner HDXs on the interstate in Longview, Texas where I live. They both had "Clark County School District" on them, and they both had Georgia plates. I believe that one of the buses numbers was 24912. If these are someone's district's buses, then you've got some GREAT looking buses.

Oh my gosh!!

Those buses sound exactly like the Clark County School District school buses found in Southern Nevada. The way that bus was numbered also sounds like the Clark County I know and used to live in down in Southern Nevada. That is very odd and this has me baffled!! It would be purely amazing if there was a county in Georgia that goes by the name of "Clark County" and uses the same numbering system as the Clark County in Southern Nevada.

Hmmm...Also, the Clark County buses in Nevada have tinted windows, black window frames, black window posts and black paint wrapped to the rear of the bus, white roofs, standard headroom, LED everything (except the 8-way warning lamps), 2 stop signs - left side, and reflective tape just about everywhere.

Clark County in Southern Nevada has AWESOME school buses. I find it very interesting that you found these particular buses with a Georgia plate in the state of Texas. I'm thinking that those buses were being delivered to Nevada, but who knows, they may be from Georgia!

Very interesting...thanks for sharing that with us!

-Bob-

Edited by - B. Busguy33 on 01/06/2003 6:09:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

whe8913
Advanced Member

United States
301 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  7:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
B. Busguy-

Those buses had EXACTLY the specs you described, EVERYTHING- to a T, so they must have been Nevada buses being delivered with Georgia temporary plates for some reason or another. They looked BRAND NEW (the buses), and I did not get a good enough of a look at the plates to see if they were metal or paper. Like I said, they were going down the interstate. I do know that they said "CLARK", without the "E."

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  8:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Whe8913,

I also wanted to explain in a bit more detail how Clark County numbers their buses.

You mentioned in your first post that you think you saw one of the buses with the number 24912. I am not sure what the "12" stands for, but my best guess would be a number that stands for the delivery number of the particular bus. I think the "9" stands for a capacity of 90. The first two digits "24" represent the model year of the bus. According to this number, this would be a "2004" model year school bus. But, it's probably a 2003 model year built school bus.

Other examples include:

94825 would represent a 1994 bus with an 84 passenger capacity.

21502W would represent a 2001 bus with a 50 (or a little more) passenger capcity. The "W" means it has a wheelchair lift installed on it.

I'm sure you get an idea of how their bus numbers correspond to the model year of their buses. It is interesting you saw one bus with the first two numbers being 24 (2004 model year), when we just started the year 2003! lol

There is definitely no mistake about the fact of how nice these buses look! It would be interesting to see the spec sheets and the price tag for these buses.

-Bob-
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  11:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

"America's #1 Conventional School Bus- Thomas/International."

#1 Georgia is not a Blue Bird country, matter of fact most of school district around the metro Atlanta area is mostly Thomas fleet. Some fleets such as our are made up of Thomas and Blue Bird buses. I know one near by school district went from Thomas coventionals to all IC RE transits. Still Thomas is leading buses in Georgia.

#2 Yes it possible that could have been a "Georgia" Clark County School District bus. Since Georgia do have 159 counties in the state!

~Georgia Drivers Together We Fly High~
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  05:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They were probably heading to Las Vegas and the drive away service that delivers buses are out of Georgia was delivering them.

Edited by - Busboy on 01/07/2003 05:07:23 AM

Edited by - Busboy on 01/07/2003 05:18:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bird Goin South

45 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  10:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas00,

How can the metro area be Thomas Country when the IC holds a clear edge in Cobb Gwinett, Fulton, Clayton and so on. Let me clairify I'm am talking about the past 2-3 year purchases. It seems to me that it should be ranked IC, Thomas, BB especially in the Metro Area.

Go to Top of Page

gonzosbus

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  12:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Send gonzosbus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Those Buses are sitting here in Phoenix at the Coach and Transit Dealership. Their Territory includes the state of Nevada. There are several buses here waiting to go to Las Vegas. They do look real nice. The Georgia Plates belong to the driveaway company. Armando Cuellar, Madison Elementary School District #38, Phoenix Arizona

Safety First
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  11:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thomas00,

How can the metro area be Thomas Country when the IC holds a clear edge in Cobb Gwinett, Fulton, Clayton and so on. Let me clairify I'm am talking about the past 2-3 year purchases. It seems to me that it should be ranked IC, Thomas, BB especially in the Metro Area.

First this is Fulton First year getting IC buses. Thomas and Blue Bird have won our bid for 5 stright years. Second Gwinett have been with Thomas Freightliner for a while now, they may have some IC buses but only few. Clayton have nothing but Blue Bird.(I have heard they get nothing but Blue Birds) So you would think that Thomas and Blue Bird would out beat IC. I know Cobb stop buying Thomas buses and started buying IC RE Transits. That the only district I know that fleet is full of ICs and AmTrans buses. Fulton was getting nothing but AmTran transits. Thanks you anyway for clearing that up for me. Please do tell if I'm worng.

Go to Top of Page

racing_fire

4 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  11:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in Clark County in Nevada, I goto school here. Those buses are numbered the same exact way, so thay are prob. for here, but I have never seen and HDX around here, mostly Thomas Saf-T-Liner ERs (1994 - 2002) and some EFs. BTW I'm in a 2001 ER.

If those busses look completly new then we arent gonna get to many of those because CCSD doesn't have much money now.

Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  12:38:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by racing_fire

I'm in Clark County in Nevada, I goto school here. Those buses are numbered the same exact way, so thay are prob. for here, but I have never seen and HDX around here, mostly Thomas Saf-T-Liner ERs (1994 - 2002) and some EFs. BTW I'm in a 2001 ER.

If those busses look completly new then we arent gonna get to many of those because CCSD doesn't have much money now.

They bought about 100 of those. I was at the Transportation Office, and I asked the people there how many were bought. They also have a few HDX's with wheelchair lifts from the 2003 model year. They didn't buy ANY buses in '99, hard to believe but it's true. You know why they have a blue interior? Blue for the mood. I got the chance to get a couple of pictures of the outside when I was at the Arville Yard in October. Great buses, now they're retiring '87 & '88 buses. But they can't really retire many b/c of money and the older ones are used as spare buses. The 2002 year were (50) Thomas Saf-T-Liner HD's (with the front panel in one piece, HDX has 3).

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/

Edited by - SchoolBusFan on 01/21/2004 12:40:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  9:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

but I have never seen and HDX around here, mostly Thomas Saf-T-Liner ERs (1994 - 2002) and some EFs. BTW I'm in a 2001 ER.

There were no ER's in 1994-1995 here, but if you mean the EF's also that's correct. Also had a '93 EF.

Go to Top of Page

Yellowhound

47 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  3:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>Gwinett have been with Thomas Freightliner for a while now, they may >have some IC buses but only few.

2003 was the first year Gwinett County purchased IC's. Buses from 1999-2002 are Thomas Freightliners.Out of the buses from 1989-1998, only the 91's,94's and 95's are Thomas (Internationals). The rest of the fleet is a mix of mostly Blue Birds (International and Ford) and Carpenters (International and Freightliner). So actually most of the fleet is comprised of Thomas buses.
North of Gwinett in Hall County, Thomas buses make up a large number of the fleet as well.But the Thomas fleet will dwindle in the coming years as they will be replaced with IC FE's. The transportation director does not like Freightliner, so needless to say they will probably not buy more Thomas buses. Hall County is almost 100% International, they have a few GM and Ford Spec. Ed. and mini buses.
They have a large number of Blue Bird's, but also have Carpenters,Ward's and one Wayne. From 2003 only IC buses have been purchased.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  1:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yellowhound

>Gwinett have been with Thomas Freightliner for a while now, they may >have some IC buses but only few.

2003 was the first year Gwinett County purchased IC's. Buses from 1999-2002 are Thomas Freightliners.Out of the buses from 1989-1998, only the 91's,94's and 95's are Thomas (Internationals). The rest of the fleet is a mix of mostly Blue Birds (International and Ford) and Carpenters (International and Freightliner). So actually most of the fleet is comprised of Thomas buses.
North of Gwinett in Hall County, Thomas buses make up a large number of the fleet as well.But the Thomas fleet will dwindle in the coming years as they will be replaced with IC FE's. The transportation director does not like Freightliner, so needless to say they will probably not buy more Thomas buses. Hall County is almost 100% International, they have a few GM and Ford Spec. Ed. and mini buses.
They have a large number of Blue Bird's, but also have Carpenters,Ward's and one Wayne. From 2003 only IC buses have been purchased.

Hey Yellowhound!!

I drive for Fulton County Schools District, we just purchased IC's buses for first this year. We been purchased transits buses from AmTran for last couple of years. Due to the fact that Thomas no longer built on internationl chassis we will mainly purchased our buses from IC. I'm not sure about Blue Bird anymore? The district is planning on purchased some more IC's buses later on this year. I know Gwinett have some IC's but I have only seen the short speical need buses though? I have not seen any big IC's buses in Gwinett? Thank for info though!!

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  2:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote

They were probably being delivered by a transport company based out of George. I think Ladd Transit has an office there close to both Blue Bird plants.

Your Child's Safety is Our Business
Go to Top of Page

Yellowhound

47 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  3:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know Gwinett have some IC's but I have only seen the short speical need buses though? I have not seen any big IC's buses in Gwinett?

The big IC buses Gwinett County are CE's. I have seen a few of them, but I am not sure exactly how many they purchashed last year. I think I remember seeing Blue Bird All American transit buses in Gwinett County back in the 80's, but I haven't seen any recently. I am wondering if they do operate transit school buses at all?
Hall County has a growing fleet of IC FE's and Gainesville City has only purchased Blue Bird TC's and All Americans since 1986.
Barrow County also purchased IC CE buses for the first time in 2003,
in the past Barrow County has purchased mostly Blue Birds.
Buford City Schools are 100% Blue Bird (GM and International) chassis,but it does seem that IC is winning most of the bids here in north GA which at one time was mostly Blue Bird country!!
Go to Top of Page

Blake913

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  7:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Blake913 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was down at Jefferson at the Thomas dealer the other day and there were 2 Clark Co (GA) buses getting ready for delivery. They were Thomas EF's 72pass. They don't buy ERs.
IC has probably won Hall Co too. We bought 16 FE's 90pass and 4 SPED CE's for '04. I'd like to see us try some Thomas EF's or ER's. IC just has the lowest bid and so therefore that is what we will continue buying I guess. You are right, what was once Blue Bird Country is not much more. Gainesville City buys ALL Blur Birds. They have been buying 72pass AA FE's but are probably going to have to bump up to the 90's sometime. You'll never see another transit in Gwinett Co I don't think. Cobb Co is most likely going Thomas ER's all the way now. I talked with a driver and she said that they were at one time AmTran folks but now they love the Thomas.

2801...The NEWEST addition!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  09:54:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never seen any transits in Gwinett, I don't think they run any transits that I'm aware of? I'm just like you Yellowhound I only seen Gwinett speical need ICs buses. You are right blake913 I think that Cobb is going back to Thomas after been with AmTran/International since 98-02 with Blue Bird as their speical need buses. Now they use Thomas Freightliner as their speical need buses. Before Cobb went all transits they use to buy Thomas Internationl that what really made up their fleet. I know we were with Thomas Internationl four years straight. We purchased 196 03-04 IC's buses, we were planning on purchasing some more IC's buses later on this year but due to bugets cut we not purchasing any buses. As far as Blue Bird I don't really know what going on with them? We purchased large amount of Blue Bird units in 95, 97, 98, 00, 01 mainly of them are speical need buses and 66 passenger buses. It would be really nice if we purchased some All American FE transits, the last time we saw some All American FE in our bus yard was back in 91. So our transits make up of AmTran/Internationl and Thomas EF. A lot of our 72 passenger buses are Thomas International. Also I heard that Clayton County also going with ICs too, and they are one of Blue Bird biggest buyer!! Also DeKalb purchased large amount of ICs for 03-04!! I'm sorry I keep going on and on. Anyway this is my last statement I think soon ICs will get a strong hold on Georgia, do you guys think that any Georgia schools District will by any Thomas C2s buses?

Go to Top of Page

Yellowhound

47 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  2:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really would not be surprised to see Thomas C2's in the future here in north GA. Banks County, Jackson County and Forsyth County have been buying Thomas/Freightliners over the past couple of years, so I think the C2's would make a nice addition to these fleets!!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  3:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well don't forget Cherokee County is now buying Thomas Freightliners for last two years or so? Yeah I guess you right about the C2s but do you think that Gwinett will purchased some C2s? If you didn't know DeKalb got 10 84 passenger 03 Saf-T-Liner HDX ER. So I guess we will have to wait and see who come out strong for the next couple of years. Have you seen Richmond County transits buses (Blue Bird, Thomas), they are very nice!!

Go to Top of Page

Blake913

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  6:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Blake913 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thomas00,
I heard from someone in Jefferson that Gwinett was talking about getting 20 C2's. Not sure how true that is though. I'm just 20 mins from Jefferson and would love to go look at them when they arrive. I didn't know about DeKalb...interesting. I personally hope GA becomes a Thomas/IC state. I have a friend of mine who drives Gainesville City and she has an 03 BB AA 72pass. She says that she would rather drive the '86 BB AA they have because it is just a better bus. I'm not too sure about Blue Bird anymore.

2801...The NEWEST addition!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  11:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep DeKalb have 10 Saf-T-Liner HDX with tinted windows, with black frame coat, white roof, green interior/bay, understorage, and much more. Anyway all their newer buses have tinted windows. It would be really nice if Gwinett did get some C2s I think that would be very bold in Georgia!! Looking like we will become a Thomas/IC state they are good buses!!! We will just have to wait and see.

Go to Top of Page

thevossinator

3 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  6:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all I would like to introduce myself. I don't know if anyone on here is actually a student, but I am. I have been reading your topics for a while, and thought it would something unique to do. I am 16 years old from Glendale, AZ, and ride on Laidlaw's Buses.

I love the HDX's they are so much better than the other AmTran RE's, and Carpenter FE's. After being on a '80's Carpenter for a year, it is heaven riding on a HDX, especially when you are on a 1-hour one way bus ride everyday!
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  8:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thevossinator

it is heaven riding on a HDX, especially when you are on a 1-hour one way bus ride everyday!

Welcome to the Forums!! That's a long trip, I'm glad you got the HDX.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Vista

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  04:07:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Thomas Vista an AOL message  Send Thomas Vista an ICQ Message  Click to see Thomas Vista's MSN Messenger address  Send Thomas Vista a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B. Busguy33

Oh my gosh!!

Those buses sound exactly like the Clark County School District school buses found in Southern Nevada. The way that bus was numbered also sounds like the Clark County I know and used to live in down in Southern Nevada. That is very odd and this has me baffled!! It would be purely amazing if there was a county in Georgia that goes by the name of "Clark County" and uses the same numbering system as the Clark County in Southern Nevada.

Hmmm...Also, the Clark County buses in Nevada have tinted windows, black window frames, black window posts and black paint wrapped to the rear of the bus, white roofs, standard headroom, LED everything (except the 8-way warning lamps), 2 stop signs - left side, and reflective tape just about everywhere.

Clark County in Southern Nevada has AWESOME school buses. I find it very interesting that you found these particular buses with a Georgia plate in the state of Texas. I'm thinking that those buses were being delivered to Nevada, but who knows, they may be from Georgia!

Very interesting...thanks for sharing that with us!

-Bob-

Edited by - B. Busguy33 on 01/06/2003 6:09:59 PM

Sounds like Clark County and Palm Beach County Districts spec the same type of features and buses.

Thomas Vista; A view of solid student transportation.

Palm Beach District Schools

Edited by - Thomas Vista on 02/08/2004 04:07:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

mczurales

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2004 :  11:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit mczurales's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was a student in Cobb County (GA) for 4 years. I now live in Williamson County (TN) and before here I was in Metro Nashville Public Schools. I was in Cobb from 1999 to 2003 and their buses were by far my favorite out of anywhere I lived. I loved the Amtran (IC) RE we had. They were very comfortable rides, they had radios and were loaded. The drivers loved the automatic doors and the 2 LED Stop Signs. The ergonomics were great too. They are soo much easier to get on than the Amtran FEs and the FEs that Metro Nashville has. Cobb had some new Thomas Saf-T-Liners delivered right before I moved. They were alot quieter than the Amtran/ICs because of their M-Benz engines. I would tie those. I know after making good friends with all of my bus drivers that the reason Cobb orderd some more THomas conventionals were because some of the drivers wanted an engine in front of them in case of a crash despite the poorer visability. If I was a Cobb driver I would definitely want an Amtran RE or Thomas Saf-T-Liner. What do y'all think?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000