New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gcorp

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  03:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Send gcorp a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The school district I went to had wayne buses from 1967,1974,1976,1981,1983,1984,1985,1987. They retired the 1987 models and one of the 1984's recently. They all were on either chevy or gmc chassis, and all but the one lonely 1974 were manual trannies. I rode a 1984 Wayne/GMC in high school, and the 74 and 76 buses were spares. The 67's had high roofs and book racks, but the district removed them some time in the late 70's. The district curenntly has 1990 thru 1999 Thomas/International diesel--all manual transmissions. 2000 was the year for Carpenter, and 2001 thru 2003 is Blue Bird, again all with International diesel and manual trannies.

i miss superiors and waynes.
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  06:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Old topic, lol.

My favorite Waynes are gonna have to be the older 1980s IHC Waynes, and the 1970s Wayne RE's. Wayne was a nice company.

My district owned some 1988 Ford Waynes, but sadly, they are in the process of being retired as we speak (They are cleaning out most of their pre 1991 stock). I was lucky to get a drive by of one I saw passing infront of my house. Nice shot, I'll post it on my next update, but stupid camara speed took it too late and cut off half of the ford hood, lol.
We also currently own about 100 1990 IHC Waynes, and a couple 1992 IHC Waynes. They have no plans of retierment yet, unless they wreck, from what I heard. We used to have a old 1986? IHC Wayne with a white roof and a smaller capacity that used to hang around the retired part of our bus yard, but I have a feeling it has since been sold, or parted out and laying in some field in eastren KY cause it dosent turn up anymore. Our 1988 ford waynes were some of the best. yeah, we had to repaint some of them, but they were great buses. When i rode some this year as a sub, they were very fast, and in great condition lol. The green interior was weird looking though. But a reason for their retirement most likely due to the hardness of geting those food hoods after a bus needs a new one, and age (We have very few older buses in sevice, most subs.). We had a 1988 Ford Wayne that had a 1980-1983 ford hood, lol! We also had this other one witch the paint wore off around the warning lights, and it looked like a NY spec bus. But sadly, both of those funny looking waynes were retired before I was able to take a photo of them, sadly. Pretty interesting, eh?

~Jake~

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!

Edited by - Jake on 06/01/2005 06:59:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  2:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My district has 2 1990 Wayne Internationals, 4 1991 Wayne Internationals, and 2 1995 Wayne Lifestars. They are all decent buses, I just wish most of them had a little more power under the hood.

I drive one of the 1990 Waynes and I really like it. Even though it's had some body work done in the past, it's still in pretty good shape and runs the best out of all our Wayne Internationals. This particular bus was retrofitted with a wheelchair door and lift about 10 years ago, making it even more unique. Go to www.busman49.com/Highland42.html for a photo (I'm gonna try and upload more photos of it one of these days).

The Lifestars are unique buses but not in the best of shape. One of them does run better than the other and I always liked to take it out when I had the chance - www.busman49.com/Highland10.html will show you a photo. Sadly, both of these buses will be retired at the end of this school year. They ARE falling apart, and the mechanics don't care too much for them.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  3:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love all Waynes from 73 to 95. I think they look the best mounted on Fords.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  4:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sadly, my county retired the rest of the Waynes back in January or February. I'm thinking about buying one that a friend of mine used to ride on before it became a spare bus.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

ThomasER0005
Top Member

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2005 :  9:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 16 waynes IHC some are spares and some have regular routes, and i have saw some 80's wayne IHC and some wayne fords setting around my town with the paint faded off around the warning lights to make it look like a NY spec bus.

Go to Top of Page

TankStoner

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  02:54:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit TankStoner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bus1037

Who here likes wayne's if so post here and your favorite style of them. Im 23 and own 7 waynes already. I turn them into differnt things. Including Nightclubs, lounges, offices and next on my list a beach bus. i have pics aim screen name bus07

A 1966-72 IH Butterfly hood Wayne is my favorite as I have yet to see 'Emergency Exit" on it's rear door.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000