Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jettahomework1355

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  6:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think the Mid and Late 80's Blue Bird All American FE's
Engines are loud?
I've rode 1986,1987, and 1988 Blue Bird All American FE's and the Engines are really loud. The Buses run great, and they look like they are quality Built, It's just the Engines preaty loud. If you ride, or drive one, does smoke come out the Exaust Pipe at the back of the bus? The 1988 model I rode for a year smoked bad. Do you know what Engines are in most of the Mid to late 80's AAFE'S? I believe all the 80's All American's my school district had was Catipiler Disel or Ford Disel. Thanks for your reply!

Edited by - jettahomework1355 on 01/26/2004 7:11:47 PM

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  7:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I rode a 1986 Blue Bird All American FE in 8th grade, and I also rode a 1989 Blue Bird All American FE in 2nd grade (when it was brand new). Both of the buses had Caterpillar 3208 diesel engines in them.
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  7:50:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You must like Blue Bird a lot jettahomework1355!! Blue Bird is one of my favorites also. First bus I rode on was a 1980's All-American RE!! Okay, now back to the topic, lol.

Here, the exaust pipe comes out of the left side, center of the bus (depends on your district. I think I've noticed some are loud; depends on what engine.

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/

Edited by - SchoolBusFan on 01/28/2004 9:58:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

CrownBus1
Top Member

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  7:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I rode a 1987 Blue Bird All American FE (84 passenger) most of 5th Grade, and I did not think that the engine was any louder than most of the RE's I've ridden. I don't know what kind of engine it had. It did have a really, really bad smoking problem though. What I really liked about this bus was that it had a radio, and it was the only bus in the district to have one. It was one of the best quality buses I've ridden, excluding Crowns of course. About 2/3 of the way through the year, our driver decided to switch to another route, and we got a new driver. He did think the engine was too loud on this bus, and so we switched to a 1986 Thomas Saf-T-Liner ER. The Blue Bird was retired at the end of the year, and I never got to see it or ride it again. That was my 2nd favorite bus of all time, and I really miss it.

Bus 1
1985 Crown
Go to Top of Page

Crownbus852

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  7:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jettahomework1355

Do you think the Mid and Late 80's Blue Bird All American FE's
Engines are loud?
I've rode 1986,1987, and 1988 Blue Bird All American FE's and the Engines are really loud. The Buses run great, and they look like they are quality Built, It's just the Engines preaty loud. If you ride, or drive one, does smoke come out the Exaust Pipe at the back of the bus? The 1988 model I rode for a year smoked bad. Do you know what Engines are in most of the Mid to late 80's AAFE'S? I believe all the 80's All American's my school district had was Catipiler Disel or Ford Disel. Thanks for your reply!

No, I don't think the 1980's Blue Bird All American FE's are loud. After riding on Genesis FE that had no sound insulation all year, anything is quieter.
Go to Top of Page

dmoney127
Advanced Member

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  6:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Send dmoney127 an AOL message  Send dmoney127 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. My 84 AAFE is plenty loud, but the early 90's IH chassis rigs (Carpenter/Genesis FE) might even be louder still. Not to mention that the design of the gauge cluster is way better on my bus. I never understood why they kept going with the manual fuel shutoff...

Edited by - dmoney127 on 01/27/2004 6:08:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  7:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a question for you: Here in Palm Beach County, there is a "Bloodmobile" that goes around and lets you donate blood at places like the mall, ect.
Anyway, I saw it this morning on my way to work. Its an '80s All American FE. I lowered my window to see if I could tell which engine was in it and to my surprise it seemed to have a GAS engine. Is this possible or was I hearing things?

Edited by - GMCBlueBird83 on 01/27/2004 7:52:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Crownbus852

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  8:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMCBluebird83

Here's a question for you: Here in Palm Beach County, there is a "Bloodmobile" that goes around and lets you donate blood at places like the mall, ect.
Anyway, I saw it this morning on my way to work. Its an '80s All American FE. I lowered my window to see if I could tell which engine was in it and to my surprise it seemed to have a GAS engine. Is this possible or was I hearing things?

I've seen All American FEs with 5 speed manual and with a GM 454 CU IN. gas engine. I'm sure that was an option back then.

Edited by - Crownbus852 on 01/27/2004 8:02:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  8:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMCBluebird83

Very possible. Blue Bird offered a variety of gas engines including Ford and Chevrolet/GMC.
Go to Top of Page

Girardin_71
Top Member

Canada
626 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  04:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Girardin_71 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i never was a Front engine school bus with 5spd. I also thought that you can only get a manual in a rear engine and the conventional.

Does anyone have a picture of a all americian fe dashboard view with a 5spd.

Girardin/Blue-Bird are my favorite school buses

http://www.g71bdpt.net

Edited by - Girardin_71 on 01/29/2004 04:17:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

gonzosbus

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  1:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Send gonzosbus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
One district I was Supervisor at had many 5 Speed Front Engine All Americans,they were from 1961-82's. as for being Loud yes those Old Triple nickels were very loud. Armando Cuellar, Madison ELem. SD#38, Phx, Az.
Go to Top of Page

87bluebirdtransit

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  11:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my county still runs 1983s and 1984s on regular runs. They are really that loud as some people make them out to be.
Go to Top of Page

Brian M. Babcock
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  5:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brian M. Babcock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In my old fleet we had 86, 87, & 88 Blue Bird All Americans that I drove on almost a daily basis. They all had the 8.2L Detroit Diesel which had a much lower pitch and clunkier sound than the newer 5.9L Cummings buses had. I would say that they were certianly louder at lower speeds and while going through the gears. The strange part was that while at higher RPM's on the highway they sounded pretty smooth and MUCH quieter. Also, when ever you would let off the accelerator the engines would almost go silent. I liked them myself (some drivers hated them because they were loud and had big steering wheels) and the 87 & 88's are still being used.

Here is a link to an engine picture of the bus I was talking about (8.2L DD)
http://www.geocities.com/montell305/129-motor.jpg

And for the guy who was talking about the triple-nickle here is a picture of that engine in a 1984 All American (555 Cummings)
http://www.geocities.com/montell305/V8Cummins.jpg

Later,

Brian

http://montell305.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

Brian M. Babcock
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  5:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brian M. Babcock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess you will need to copy/paste the links for some reason. Sorry!

Brian

http://montell305.tripod.com

Edited by - Brian M. Babcock on 01/30/2004 5:42:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  7:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Great pictures Brian!!

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

jettahomework1355

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  09:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bus_man65

i never was a Front engine school bus with 5spd. I also thought that you can only get a manual in a rear engine and the conventional.

Does anyone have a picture of a all americian fe dashboard view with a 5spd.

YES! I believe this auction ended, but if it goes back into auction, here is a link. This is a BB All American FE Manual Transmission, with a GMC Engine. The Manual Shifter isn't really visible. If you look closely you'll see it. This link will be no good about 7 days from now (unless it gets relisted from ebay). Here is the link...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2458068175&category=50057

Go to Top of Page

Duke Underwood

1 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  11:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Duke Underwood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I run an 86 AAFE. It is a good but slow runner. It has the Detroit 8.2 natural. I still take it on 1000 mile runs with kids from our outreach programs. It has school bus windows. but we have charter coach seats. and a restroom in it. There is a wall at the 4th window to the back for storage. We really enjoy using it. It has the big steering wheel that everyone laughs at. The engine is loud at low speeds but is fairly quiet at 50 mph and above. I'm not sure if my ears just go numb or if it really gets quieter as the engine warms up. "Old Bessie" is a very dependable old bus in cold or hot weather. The only probloem is the old Transaire a.c with a/c diesel motor on the side of the bus. We are from West Texas and when the a/c does run it has to work hard to keep 40 folks cool. Thinking about changing the a/c somehow. Any ideas for fairly cheap?
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  11:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please explain how the Detroit 8.2L was a "fuel misers".. Considering it was one of the most, if not the, most fuel efficient engine made back in the day, I don't consider it to be junk.

Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  08:08:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tatum

Please explain how the Detroit 8.2L was a "fuel misers".. Considering it was one of the most, if not the, most fuel efficient engine made back in the day, I don't consider it to be junk.

Then again, everything is considered junk if you look at everybody's opinions
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000